Print this page Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Jan 072008

1. 6 months after purchased third taillight shorted out didn't know had no brake lights. Took to dealer 7 times after wiring harness, third taillight replaced because spoiler cracked, hatch unable to open. Dealer moved hatch hinges and spoiler kept cracking. Still having third taillight no brake light problem is with wiring faulty. Taillights all leak causing wiring short in fuses. Other issue is first break service ABS sensor stayed on break pedal pulsated for 2 yrs 2 dealers 1 mechanic replaced ABS sensor 3X didn't fix ended up paying for new front wheel hub also caused 3 accidents could not stop because of it. Mileage is 68700 rec 1 recall for heater. Where are rest?

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 142013

Hit a one ton low bed dump truck, the whole front end of my SUV was demolished, my airbags didn't deploy and I ended up with really bad whiplash from the accident, to where I'm still in major pain! wondering if there was a lawsuit against this? never dealt with a wreck this bad, I was just curious!

- Vanceburg, KY, USA

Mar 192013

I ran off the side of the road into a guardrail and could not stop until I was on top of the guardrail into an embankment. My entire front end was destroyed as well as most of the underneath of the car. My face hit the steering wheel causing me to lose consciousness as well as giving me a black eye, crooked teeth, cuts, broken dental appliances, and my teeth went through my lip. I strongly believe my airbags should have deployed and prevented the impact of my face to the steering wheel since I thought that is what airbags are for. My car was totaled.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Oct 032008

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds she noticed a loud noise coming from the front passenger side wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and they advised her that the wheel bearing had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the front passenger wheel bearing for the fourth time in four years. In addition, the contac stated that the emergency brake was between the cup holders and if a cup was placed inside, it would block the emergency brake from being engaged. The failure mileage was approximately 36,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Wallkill, NY, USA

Apr 042009

2006 Chevy Equinox lt with 29,000 miles purchased new. No complaints until 4 April when discovered rear floor wet and spare tire well full of clean clear water. Rained heavy day before never have seen this before. Warranty expired less than 15 days. Sprayed water over entire car, under car, around windows, wheel wells etc. Can find no leaks. Waiting for next big rain to decide.

- Monroeville, PA, USA