CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

8.5

2006 Chevrolet Equinox body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Jul 012012

Equinox LS

The water is soaking into carpet and rusting my tow chain and damaged my safety road kit contents.

- , Longbow Lake, On, Canada

Mar 212010

Equinox LS V6

As others have said.........our carpet was soaked. That is almost an understatement. We had an tremendous amount of rain within a 3 day period and the water almost puddled in the back seat area. Months ago when it first occurred, I thought that a window was left open. On that occasion, that water was minimal and dried quickly. This time it was crazy. It took a week of 70 degree days and windows down 24/7 to dry. After reading on AutoBeef about the spare tire basin, I checked mine and low and behold........4 inches of water easy.......and that was after several of the 70 degree days. Who knows. I drilled 3 holes in the low points of the spare tire basin to drain the water, but that is not the real solution........I just want to get rid of the vehicle!

- , Enola, PA, USA

Nov 032009

Equinox LS V6

It stared last month. One day out of the blue I started hearing the sound water sloshing around coming from the back of the car. I thought it might be a bottle of water that got stuck under the back seat or something. Then a few days later I had to quickly stop the car to avoid another car and water came rushing out from under the back seat. When I got home I looked in the spare tire compartment and discovered about 2-3 inches of water. under the spare tire. I emptied the water had my carpet cleaned and dried thinking that that was strange. A few days later we had another rain storm pass and the water was back. UGH!!! Now every time it rains I get water in my trunk. I can't tell how it's getting in there, but it is becoming very anoying. Is anyone else having this issue? I have had it with this car, first the heater thing everyone seems to be having and now this. I'm don with GM (Government Motors).

- , Cumming, GA, USA

Nov 022006

Equinox LT

At 15,685 miles my car is once again in the shop for a new problem now. The spare tire well fills up with water when it rains. It eventually smells very musty in the car. Also if it fills up enough it starts to leak into the floor board of my back seat and gets the carpet wet. It wouldn't be so bad if my car hadn't already been in the shop 5 times in the past year. Still not buying Chevy again.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA