CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

8.8

2006 Chevrolet Equinox brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Apr 042014

Equinox LT 3.4L

Comes on with every bump hit on the street. Sometimes the abs light comes on when i start my truck for the first time of the day.

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Nov 152013

Equinox V6

I have a 2006 Equinox with the same braking problem in other stories I've read on this website. Both front hubs, both front sensors, rotors and pads have been replaced and still abs/traction control light coming on and brakes are hard to push down on, feeling like it won't stop. Any ideas? Also had all four tires air pressure checked......help!!!!!!!!!

- , Everett, Washington, USA

Feb 132013

Equinox LS

TOOK CAR TO MECHANIC BECAUSE TRACTION CONTROL AND ABS LIGHTS KEPT COMING ON AND ABS GRABBING BRAKES WHEN TRYING TO STOP THE CAR...VERY SCARY...TOOK CAR AND PAID 800 TO REPLACE WHEEL HUB AND BRAKES..FIXED THE PROBLEM TEMPORARILY...NOW A MONTH LATER THE SAME PROBLEM AGAIN..VERY DANGEROUS WHEN TRYING TO STOP THE ABS MAKES BRAKES VIBRATE AND DOESNT STOP PROPERLY.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 232012

Equinox

I took my vehicle to the All Star dealership 9 times for the ABS/TRAC light coming on and the abs brakes intermittently activating while stopping and/or driving. Each time I went was a temporary fix. The last time, I did not have a problem for at least a month, then same old problem again and with more frequency. They assured me my vehicle was safe to drive, although, they cannot fix my vehicle. I have given up.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 212011

Equinox ES 3.4L V6

Since I don't remember when the problem exactly started, I went with the time I took the vehicle to the shop to get it checked. We took the vehicle thinking that a piston was bad, because that was the way it felt, like not getting the right pressure from the piston once the brakes were activated/pressed. Once we got the call back from mechanic, he stated that we needed new rotors due to both being warped. I thought that that will take the problem away but once we got the truck back, immediately within days the problem came back. We took the vehicle back to the shop and they stated it was a tire the one causing the noise and rattle once the brakes were pressed. (This is the 1st time I heard about a tire causing this commotion or noise and if that was the case why they charge for something else). At the shop, they replaced the front brake pads as well as the disc brake rotors, they applied lug nut torque 100, inflation 35/35, cleaned and adjusted rear brakes. After all of this was done, I still get engine lights on the dash board. I took the truck to get it tested at Autozone for free and got this code on their machine;

OEM number to Cross: P0171 Definition: Fuel trim bank one condition Explanation: The power train control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the Air/Fuel ratio of the engine. The computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one bank only. Probable cause: a1. If bank one and two set together suspect fuel pressure or MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor a2. Oxygen sensor defective. a3. Ignition misfire-repair. a4. Fuel injector problem.

At this moment I have not used my truck for the past 2 and a half months for fear of having an accident if brakes fail to do their job or lock up while braking. It is stressful enuff to come up with money to repair this kind of issues if computers/mechanics nor dealers make up their mind about what the codes are or mean. I got charged for something and the engine light code says otherwise. I also notice the the button for the all wheel drive does not work anymore and that is being in that stage since the problem started. I would love and appreciate if someone has a solution to this, or if they know if Chevy has a recall for this type of issue (rotors overheating and warping). Thank You.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 012011

Equinox V6

I took my car to Midas for the brakes because they were making a noise and it seems to make a noise when brake they said my brakes needed to be conditioned only so I paid for that a week later ABS lights go on and the same problem occurs! take it back they say it must be the censor replaced that still same thing happens brakes back nosie and they seem like they dont want to stop! Once again back to Midas after 3 months still same plroble they keep car for 3 day day we call to check on car and they say they need to order part from dealer! should be ready by thursday or friday. Call Friday morning and they say cant fix it need to take it to the dealer! At this point I am beyond faustrated. They wont refund me my money until 14 day he said! I call the BBB and also left a message at the corp office of Midas. I get a call to from the dist manager from Midas to take car to GMC dealer in my town. Still a week later no car what is up with these brake on the lemon Equinox ?

- , Manteca, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Equinox LS 3.4L

Corrosion on the ABS sensor can cause the vehicle to think it has lost control of one or more of the front wheels. This will cause it to not apply braking pressure to the front tires(75% of braking done up front) which will probably cause warping of the rotors, pads, and possibly an accident. Have fun with that, and THANKS CHEVY!

- , Cary, IL, USA

Oct 112009

Equinox LX 3.2L V6

I had brakes worked on and the car stopped fine. After the repair the mechanic insisted there was a recall on the ABS system. When I called the dealer I was told there was no recall. After 5 weeks of taking the car back to the shop, calling the district manager of the shop, and calling the dealer, I decided the heck with it. My blood pressure would not go down so I decided it was too much stress. There are too many other things to deal with. It really ticks me off to have a vehicle with lights on in the dash like it's Christmas or something. Not only that, but I can't get it to pass inspection.

- , Houston, TX/USA, USA