Print this page Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Mar 232015

Equinox 6-cyl

I have a Chevrolet Equinox LX and I am having problem with the ABS and tracking control so I got the brakes replace and there still a bad grinding the same thing before I replace the brakes the ABS and tracking control come on and off while I am driving and stay on while I am driving I have change my brake in 2014 when I first purchase the SUV I did not have this problem was there a recall on this matter and if there was can someone get back with me or can gms help with this matter.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Jul 022013

Equinox 6-cyl

Since this car has only 29,000 miles and so much is going on. Sunroof leaked, problems w/ windows, not the heating and cooling doesn't work, I just had it towed because the battery was dead.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Jul 122007

Equinox 6-cyl

A. I began to notice that at times the car would not start the first time I turned the key. I would have to turn the key to off position and try again, this could sometimes take a couple of times. The dealer did state that it was indeed the ignition switch. B. we also have an issue with the ignition when you turn it over it continues to try to start after it is running. The only way to make is stop is to step on the gas. C. when the car is shut off with the wipers or heater or even the radio on; when we start the Equinox, there is smoke coming out of the steering wheel area. It has a burning smell with it. Very dangerous. Just last week, I had my Equinox on with the air, and smoke came out of the steering wheel area while it was running idle. D. in the colder weather, there is frost on my inside front windshield. All windows are up, and there is no reason for this. This vehicle needs to have a massive recall as there are many issues going on with it. I would hate to see someone get hurt but I could see it happening if something is not done to correct these issues.

- Groveport, OH, USA

Aug 252011

Same as reported below, ABS issues, ignition switch, over heating, water sound in dash, blend door issues. Only have 80K on car but problems surpass value. Why are there no recalls for Equinox?

- Littleton, CO, USA

Nov 152013

Equinox 6-cyl

One day I noticed the brakes were harder than normal to push to stop the car and then my ABS/traction control lights would come on, when they did the car would brake fine. This now happens on a daily basis. Sometimes the lights come on as soon as I start the car and sometimes it takes a few minutes of driving for the lights to come on, until they do, braking is scary. Both front hubs, both front sensors, rotors and pads have been replaced and still ABS/traction control light coming on. Also had all four tires air pressure checked. All of this work has been performed by a licensed mechanic and he is now stumped. I have been reading other complaints on different sites with the same problem and no resolution.

- Everett, WA, USA