CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 202013

Equinox

I was traveling at about 40 mph down a main road, when I tried to stop at a red light. Upon pressing the brake, the whole brake system locked up, and there was resistance. I swerved to avoid the car in front of me, and ran into a mailbox on the side of the road. Prior to this, my car experienced overheating and smoke that blocked my view, and I was told that I had a blown head gasket. I am mentioning this because I see that others had the same issue. GM needs to fix these problems before someone gets seriously hurt.

- Wheaton, MD, USA

Mar 072013

Equinox

I am the owner of a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. Beginning in February of 2013, noticed that ABS and tc light were coming on while driving, and that front brakes had crunching and grinding sound, and would jam when brakes were hit. Had front brake replaced, and new tires put on, and still had the same problem happening. Took it to dan vaden dealership on Feb 26, 2013, was informed that they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. On March 6, 2013 while pressing brakes they jammed, and had to pull vehicle off road not to hit vehicle in front of me. On March 7, 2013 took vehicle back to dan vanden dealership, they said they replaced the left front hub assembly for a charge of $593.28 (labor and other fees). When I picked the vehicle up that evening and drove 1/2 mile the ABS and tracking light came back on while driving. Drove vehicle back to dealership. I was given a courtesy vehicle for a week until they could figure out what was wrong. It is now June and I am experiencing the same problem of the ABS and tc light coming on, and brakes jamming. I have also seen alot of complaints on google regarding this problem with the same vehicle. Would like to know why this problem has not been reported.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 012012

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the anti lock braking system activated independently and the brake pedal vibrated abnormally when depressed. The anti-lock braking system warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where they advised the contact that the ABS system failed and had been replaced. The failure recurred and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100,000. The current mileage was 152,000.

- Arlington , TX, USA

Mar 012012

Equinox 6-cyl

I heard a thumping noise from what felt like under my feet. I then tried to push on the brakes, only having the pedal give a great amount of resistance with loud ABS noises. It will continue doing this until both my traction control light and ABS light come on. I had my brakes checked and they said everything was good. And of course it was out of my 50000 mile warranty. I still drive cautiously and try to get the lights on as quickly as possible when driving my children around so that we aren't seriously injured. Not until I started researching the problems I'm having with this particular vehicle did I realize I wasn't the only one. The brakes are the first to mention...then there's the ac/heater problem it won't blow hot air, and it won't blow cool air when stopped at a red light. Then that loud clunking noise made when I'm driving over bumps that sound like my front end is going to fall off. Oh and the fact that my speedometer will only increase by 3-5 mph increments. The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong, after getting a speeding ticket by a camera light it was taken into a speed shop who verified its absolutely not working correctly. They couldn't even give me a reading because its broken. Nice!!!!! seriously is someone going to have to die, or seriously injured before someone steps up and takes responsibility?

- Mesa, AR, USA

Oct 222012

Equinox

I would press the brake and it felt like the anti-lock brake was engaged. After a few times, the ABS light came on the dashboard. In October 2012, I took it to a Chevrolet dealer to get it diagnosed and fixed. They replaced the left front ABS sensor. Then I went for almost a month without an incident and now it has started again. I took it back to the dealer, this last week of Nov. 2012, and they told me that they will not replace the sensor because the ABS light is not on, and that they are not just going to tear into everything because they are not sure what is wrong. I am worried about my safety of myself and those with whom I travel.

- Kamas, UT, USA

Sep 032012

Equinox 6-cyl

When driving my vehicle at speeds of 10-35mph my brakes lock up and make a loud grinding noise. The pedal pushes back at me and it is difficult to stop. It's almost as if the vehicle is trying to accelerate when I'm trying to stop it. The problem eventually fixes itself by turning off its ABS system... the ABS and tc lights come on and then I don't have another problem until I have turned off the vehicle and turned it back on again. It happens everytime I get in my car...and sometime does not correct itself until reaching higher speeds. I have had many occurrences when I was almost in an accident because of the inability to stop. I have contacted GM and my local dealer...it was diagnosed as an ABS module that needs replacing. On their own GM forums there are hundreds of people with this same problem (among many others with this model)...I guess someone will have to die before they recall this.

- Williston, ND, USA

Aug 202012

Equinox

I was driving and my car would not brake easily the ABS kept kicking in for no reason I had almost hit a car infront of me because the brake pedal became so hard it also kicks in at low speeds and when trying to stop the vehicle. The brakes pedal starts pulputations and gets hard and making a noise like the ABS has kicked on.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Jun 152012

Equinox 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Equinox that I bought used with 91,000 miles on it. Only one previous owner with clean car fax. I love the car, but at least once a week it acts like it doesn't want to crank. I sometimes have to push the gas pedal to even get it to crank. I'm assuming this a fuel pressure problem of some sort. Also, once cranked the car will sometimes idle itself down from 1 RPM to 0 RPM then back to 1 RPM. There is also a clunking noise coming from back end of car where the fuel pump is. I have also had issues with having the headlights replaced because water gets into the headlights. Most of the Equinox's that I see on the road have water in the headlights. This a safety hazard because the headlight bulbs will burst when wet and you have no headlight until you have it fixed. (which you have to replace the headlights/tail lights yourself because part stores refuse to do the labor for you because you have to remove the entire headlight to even replace a bulb. This seems to me that Chevrolet did that so if you are a woman, like myself, you are forced to take it somewhere and have it replaced.) there are also issues with the brakes and rotors wearing too fast. I have also had issues with the air conditioner. I have had to replace the resistor on the blower motor twice in 2 years. These may not be big problems to GM, but I rely on my car to take me to work and school and the fact that they genuinely don't care has forced me to not want to buy another Chevrolet again. Seeing as they had to have a government bail out previously to even stay in business, you would think that they would value their customers!

- Vance, AL, USA