CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2. replace heater core (1 reports)
2006 Chevrolet Equinox cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Jul 032012

Equinox LT 3.4L

Another uncovered problem for this vehicle. Bailouts don't work....because car builders don' t support their products. A huge customer service mistake. Honda ,here I come!

- , Hillsborough, NC, USA

Apr 082010

Equinox LS 3.4L V6

Ok, I brought the car to the dealer where I bought it from two months before my warranty ran out because of the smell. I told the service counter guy about the problem and even told them it smelled like antifreeze when I had the heater on. Ok he said we will check it out. After an hour he comes out to the waiting room where I was waiting with a cabin filter. He says the smell was coming from the cabin filter and it will cost $50.00 to replace it. Ok I said do it. Then he says they are not going to have the filter for about two hours when they get their parts shipment in. So I said can't I just go to AutoZone and get a filter? Then he said he already had the car all apart. So I said just do it I'll have to wait. I live about 20 miles away with no ride so I had to wait there for the car. After about three hours he comes out and says it's all set. I take it home and it smelled pretty good because they sprayed some kind of odor eliminator in the vents. After about a week the smell started to wear off and the antifreeze odor got worse. I set up an appointment to have it checked out again and after a few hours of waiting the guy comes out and says it's the heater core. So he gave me another date to drop it off for the day to change the heater core. I got it back with a missing screw pillar cover, dirty seats and a scuffed up dashboard! Thanks Simon Chevrolet! You’re the best! A year and a half earlier there was a leak that dripped onto the computer and killed it. This was a week after I bought the car. I asked them to take the car back and they said that I went over the miles that they will take it back at and that I was responsible for the tow. They had the car for over a week trying to find the leak. Could this have been the leak that killed the computer? Could be....

- , Pascoag, Rhode Island, USA