Print this page Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jul 142009

I own a 2006 Chevy Equinox. Purchased the car back in August 2009 and a few days after buying the vehicle the car wouldn't start. I would turn the key to turn the car on and it wouldn't completely turn over and it would "stick, " causing me to turn the car back to off. After attempting to start the car the first time, the second time would usually work. Now, it's getting to the point where the car won't turn over without pressing the gas, if I don't press the gas the engine won't start at all. I can turn the key on and off; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 times but it refuses to start without the gas (I'm worried I'm going to flood the engine now). This happens randomly during anytime of day and during any weather conditions, sometimes it doesn't even happen for days/weeks then suddenly the problem comes back and its worse. This is getting ridiculous especially with a car with only 70,000 miles on it. No dealer will help me because the car will never act up for them. I really don't know what to do and I am running out of options. I don't want to be left stranded because GM won't help anyone with a problem a lot of people are having with the same year and car!

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Mar 012012

Equinox 6-cyl

I heard a thumping noise from what felt like under my feet. I then tried to push on the brakes, only having the pedal give a great amount of resistance with loud ABS noises. It will continue doing this until both my traction control light and ABS light come on. I had my brakes checked and they said everything was good. And of course it was out of my 50000 mile warranty. I still drive cautiously and try to get the lights on as quickly as possible when driving my children around so that we aren't seriously injured. Not until I started researching the problems I'm having with this particular vehicle did I realize I wasn't the only one. The brakes are the first to mention...then there's the ac/heater problem it won't blow hot air, and it won't blow cool air when stopped at a red light. Then that loud clunking noise made when I'm driving over bumps that sound like my front end is going to fall off. Oh and the fact that my speedometer will only increase by 3-5 mph increments. The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong, after getting a speeding ticket by a camera light it was taken into a speed shop who verified its absolutely not working correctly. They couldn't even give me a reading because its broken. Nice!!!!! seriously is someone going to have to die, or seriously injured before someone steps up and takes responsibility?

- Mesa, AR, USA

Feb 012012

Equinox 6-cyl

No hot air blows through vents, only cold air. Also, the car cranks, but doesn't turn over most of the time, you have to push on the gas pedal in order for it to turn over. Very frustrating for a mom.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Feb 112011

Equinox 6-cyl

2006 Equinox lt I receive the 30 day factory warranty I purchased the extended warranty from Chrysler group llc I purchased the car 2-11-11 before the 30 day warranty went out I took the car in for overheating on Feb 8 got car back on Feb 15, on March 11 took the car again for overheating received car back on March 18, 4-27-11 took the car in because the inspection sticker was 2010, on May 03 took the car in for overheating got car back on May 10, took car on 8-22-11 for the same problem overheating as of today the car has not been looked at. This is the 4th time I took the car to get serviced for the same problem overheating took the car back 3/12 and 5/12 for the same issues and as of today 10/29/12 the same issues I am getting tired of paying the 100 dollar deductible for the same problem. They have replaced the wires, the fans twice and sensors and then the fans it is to many problems that people having with these Equinox and the customers are un happy nothing is getting done about this something need to happen pissed customer I was sold a lemon what about the lemon law in Texas this need to be a recall and give us our money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Equinox 6-cyl

Starting in December 2011, our heater blend door broke on our 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. It is a wide-spead issue with the exact make/model of this vehicle, effecting several hundred, if not thousands. Chevrolet has released a technical service bulletin may of 2012) with the exact issue, as well as re-designed the door for future fixes, but refuses to help repair the vehicle for me. Even know the problem started before the mileage factor in the warranty for the part, and is over the mileage now, GM refuses to help. My car has no heat at all, windshield does not de-frost, does not de-fog. My wife has to use this car to drop our autistic son at his school as well as to go to work, we can't have no heat.

- Kent, WA, USA

Dec 012011

My wife and I purchased our 2006 Chevrolet Equinox in January of 2011, 10 1/2 months after owning it (out of warranty of course), the heater blend door/actuator problem occurred on our Chevrolet as well. It seems to be a common issue with this year/make/model, and it's effecting visibility in the cooler months. We live in western Washington, and during the fall/winter, you can't see anything through the windshield (only have cold air available through vents).

- Kent, WA, USA

Sep 132012

Equinox 6-cyl

Car was parked and my daughter went to leave to come home and car would not start. We tried to jump it, but it still would not start. I believe it may be a pass lock issue.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Jul 102012

Was driving getting onto freeway (on the on ramp) car completely lost power. Couldn't get out of the lane onto shoulder all the way. In rush hour of course. Car would start but as soon as I put it in drive and tried to pull it over more it would lose all power again. Had a toddler and baby in 95 heat on side of freeway. Had to have it towed. Tried to dive it next day, died again. Turns out, when ever the turn signals/flashers are used, it kills all power in the car. Causing it to stall in the middle of the road. Vehicle starts right back up and runs fine without turn signals. Very unsafe to have a car die while driving it. We refuse to drive it in fear of it causing further issues.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jul 172012

I had just bought this car with one previous owner from a local Chevy dealer. I noticed that sometimes when I use the blinker, my brights would come on and I would be unable to turn them off. Then my steering wheel column would start to smoke. I would pull over and turn off the vehicle and it took several attempts to start the vehicle again. This has not lead to a fire yet, but very easily could. This has happened about half a dozen times in a month. The dealer whom I had just bought it from refused to help cover the cost of the repair of this piece. I am now paying for the repair myself. I'm just not sure if this has been a common vehicle problem or if this has happened to others.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 172009

Equinox 6-cyl

Key stuck in the ignition and could not be removed.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Jul 082010

Equinox 6-cyl

Bought in Jan 2009 with 65,000 on it. Summer 09 in a rain storm it looked like someone turned a faucet on in my car the water was coming in on drivers side my left foot looked like in the tub, fixed under warranty. Out of pocket $100, the by end of 09 the real fun began, had engine mounts replaced, knocking in car when car started for first 5 minutes. The by October car was over heating, heat only blew when car was moving, car now had 118137 replaced the ender blower motors, coolant fans and fan motor, called and reported to Chevy, then in November 010, it all happened again. This time had to have blend arm door replaced car called Chevy nope not a issue per internet its major issue. Replaced at my cost $891. Right before christmas, 2010, gaskets and seals blew car over heated then shut off, had to let it cool down then start up again. Had to replace engine, gaskets and seals. Now 7/12 Chevy wants to reimburse for the part but decided to fight me tooth and nail on the reimbursement because I no longer own the car. Traded it in April 2012 could not longer afford it and trans felt like its going to go. Chevy said I will get a partial refund of blend arm door only" wtf the car put me and my children in danger and that's all they want to do but yet fight me" also I reported to Chevy all these issues, the BBB, a lawyer at this point, 2 tv network news programs, and all available multimedia.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 012010

Equinox 6-cyl

Purchase car approx: 7/09 with approx: 33000 miles. In Jan 2010 notice problems starting car, has been happening off & on ever since. Car now has 114000 miles.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 102010

Equinox 6-cyl

My 2006 Equinox initially began having start up issues where the starter would crank and the engine would idle roughly and then die. It would take several attempts to start. Then I figured out if I gave it gas when I started it up it would have a better chance of starting. Sometimes it worked. Then the issue went away for a while and came back with a new issue. The new issue is sometimes the car wouldn't start at all. The starter would click but would not start. It would do this several times and then it would start like nothing was wrong. This happens intermittently. It does not discriminate on location, time of day etc.

- Escondido, CA, USA

May 012012

Equinox 6-cyl

Lights don't turn off, high beam and low beam not working properly.

- Churchrock, NM, USA

Nov 212011

Equinox 6-cyl

I took the vehicle to the shop to get it checked on 11-21-11. We took the vehicle thinking that a piston was bad, because that was the way it felt, like not getting the right pressure from the piston once the brakes were activated/pressed. Once we got the call back from mechanic, he stated that we needed new rotors due to both being warped. I thought that that will take the problem away but once we got the truck back, immediately within days the problem came back. We took the vehicle back to the shop and they stated it was a tire the one causing the noise and rattle once the brakes were pressed. At the shop, they replaced the front brake pads as well as the disc brake rotors, they applied lug nut torque 100, inflation 35/35, cleaned and adjusted rear brakes. After all of this was done, I still get engine lights on the dash board. I took the truck to get it tested at autozone for free and got this code on their machine oem number to cross: P0171 definition: Fuel trim bank one condition explanation: The power train control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio of the engine. The computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one bank only. Probable cause: A1. if bank one and two set together suspect fuel pressure or maf (mass air flow) sensor A2. Oxygen sensor defective. A3. ignition misfire-repair. A4. fuel injector problem. I have not used my truck for the past 2 and a half months for fear of having an accident if breaks fail to do their job or lock up while braking. It is stressful enough if computers/mechanics nor dealers make up their mind about what the codes are or mean. I also notice the the button for the all wheel drive does not work anymore and that is being in that stage since the problem started. If anyone has a solution to this issue, please let me know. Thank you.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 012011

I am having the same problem as all the other owners of a 2006 Equinox. No heat!!! I have had this looked into and have wasted over $900 on trying to fix the problem. This is ridiculous that they don't do anything about this!! shame on them!!! I have to Transport my young daughter in a freezing cold car every day because I can't afford the $1200 that I find out needs to be put into this!! I have been a loyal Chevy owner since I bought my first car years ago...but now I will think twice before buying one or even suggesting one to a anyone.

- Andover, NJ, USA

Dec 012010

I was reading through other complaints and I had the same issue as everyone else a year ago. My 2006 Equinox was blowing out cold air. I took it in to get fixed (while still under warenty) and had to pay about $900. Well, about $750 for labor. They said since it's regular wear & tear I had to pay for it. I've never even heard of it before. The had to take off my entire dash board! it was just a piece of plastic that broke off that door behind all the controls. I actually got on here because recently my safety/auto theft light keeps coming on while I'm driving! the other day my car wouldn't even start and I don't know if this has to do with it or not! has anyone else been having these problems" is it a big deal? help"

- Portage, MI, USA

Dec 282011

Heater stopped blowing hot air which causes the windows to unsafely fog up on cold snowy and or rainy days. All visibility is gone as the inside fogs up wipers are unable to clear the glass. May cause potential serious accidents. It is to my knowledge this is happening with every 2006 Equinox out there. The actuator goes out of alignment causing the blend door to break and not allow the heat in.

- Hudson, MA, USA

Dec 172011

Equinox 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox that all of a sudden started blowing cold air when the heat should be on. I replaced the thermostat thinking that was the problem. It's not. It is the temp actuator door. According to a diagnostic test done by a Chevy dealer this is a very common problem with the 2006 Equinox. I emailed General Motors who offered to pay 10% of the $1000 charge it will take to fix this problem. I do not have this money. And after reading several websites there are a ton of people who have this same issue with their vehicles. This should be a recall. I live in Colorado where it is 20 degrees outside. My windows will not defrost without heat. Please help all of us that are having this problem. It is a safety hazard when you may be driving in dry weather...and then it starts snowing or raining. How are we to see when the windows fog or freeze up. As we say in Colorado...wait five minutes and the weather will change. But it may be too late if my windows won't defrost and I'm out on the plains or in the mountains where there are no towns for 150 miles. This a very realistic danger. General Motors does not recognize this as a problem with the 2006 model, although apparently they do realize it on the 2010 model. I have been a life long Chevy owner, and my father retired after 32 years with GM. If something is not done...I will never own another General Motors product. Please do something before someone is seriously injured or killed because of this problem.

- Fort Lupton, CO, USA

Oct 042011

Equinox 6-cyl

While driving at aprox 45mph the engine just stalled. No warning no sputtering just dead. Both engine lights came on the check engine light and one with the X thru the engine. After aprox 30 seconds it started back up and was fine. This has happened intermittently at different stages of driving and various speeds. On 12/28/11 it happened to us 3 times while out. I am leary of taking it to the dealer close to us as they recently did a brake job that I have had to take back 4 times and am again having symptoms of needing brakes. I have no faith in the dealer.

- Antelope, CA, USA