CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Oct 062016

Equinox

What is happening: The heater blend door is stuck blowing only cold air. This is after the engine is warm and working properly. In northern Minnesota this is a huge problem. From a quick search this is happening far too often for it to be anything other than a manufacture defect. It is a very poor design which I believe should be recalled.

- Cohasset, MN, USA

May 102016

Equinox

I bought a 2006 in Feb..it was running fine then all a sudden the heater started blowing cold air..a month later it just started running hot pour water in coolant level it cumes back out in a puddle on driver side...temp gauge hits red when idle up...smoke out tail pipe...coolant smell around car...I need my car now im.walking!!!!

- Monroe, LA, USA

May 272016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the ignition failed to turn without warning. sometimes, the contact was unable to place the key in the ignition or remove the key from the ignition. Also, the vehicle overheated and the temperature gauge increased. When the vehicle was turned off, the engine fan ran for an hour afterward, which caused the battery to fail. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Clayton, NY, USA

Jul 212015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact made numerous attempts to start the vehicle. The vehicle was previously serviced per an unknown manufacturer's recall related to the ignition switch; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition sleeve would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Coeburn, VA, USA

Jul 142016

Equinox

The key is hanging up in the ignition after turning vehicle off. It is often difficult to put the key back in the ignition to then start it again. The vehicle now stalls while running without notice. When it does, all power cuts off (power brakes, traction control, lights radio, breaks - anything electric shuts off. Have been able to pull the vehicle over and restart it almost immediately. Happens on the street as well as freeway. I wonder whether this is covered by a recall or something. Please let me know as this does not seem to be very safe.

- Pleasant Valley, MO, USA

Apr 122016

Equinox

Vehicle randomly shuts off completely at different speeds while driving. It has happened once every three days up to 6 times in 20 minutes. It has occurred on the freeway and city streets. Had PCM reprogrammed, no luck. I have been testing different fixes. While doing so I noticed I am able to pull the key out at any ignition position.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Jun 052016

Equinox

HVAC blower motor inoperable while moving on highway. Blower motor resistor burned because blower motor drawing too many amps.

- Springfield, VA, USA

May 012016

Equinox

Ignition. When key is inserted in ignition it is very difficult...takes a numerous amount of tries to get it to turn on.

- Millbank, Ontario Canada, OH, USA

Mar 302016

Equinox

My cars engine light and low engine power light came on while crossing an intersection reducing my speed and nearly causing an accident! when it rains, snows or goes through a car wash this happens. This has happened on multiple occasions and no mechanic has been able to resolve the issue.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Dec 082015

Equinox

My heater is only blowing out a little better than cool air I would say it is right below warm and I have a 14 month old child the fix is $750 dollars and a lot of people have the same issue maybe a recall is what needs to happen ??

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Feb 152015

Equinox

I purchased my 2006 Chevy Equinox new. At 53K miles my ignition switch failed. I was able to remove my key from my running car. There was no recall and I had to pay the dealer last year in 2015. Now it is hard to start and after turning off the car I have to open another door besides the driver door to disable power to the dash instruments, interior lighting and radio.

- Chico, CA, USA

Jan 072008

Equinox

1. 6 months after purchased third taillight shorted out didn't know had no brake lights. Took to dealer 7 times after wiring harness, third taillight replaced because spoiler cracked, hatch unable to open. Dealer moved hatch hinges and spoiler kept cracking. Still having third taillight no brake light problem is with wiring faulty. Taillights all leak causing wiring short in fuses. Other issue is first break service ABS sensor stayed on break pedal pulsated for 2 yrs 2 dealers 1 mechanic replaced ABS sensor 3X didn't fix ended up paying for new front wheel hub also caused 3 accidents could not stop because of it. Mileage is 68700 rec 1 recall for heater. Where are rest?

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Equinox

While driving at 55 mph the bell started ringing, then the dash lights came on. Tc-ABS-brake, then the steering wheel stiffened up as like standard before power steering. I pulled over it scared the hell out of me, we could have been killed. I went to a GM authorized repair shop the said it was normal for this car to do"??" I was talked into putting a new brain in the Equinox several thousand dollars $$$$$ and it still did the same thing. Went back to the dealer (Chevy) they had the car for a few days, called and said they found the problem, yea a bent wire?? worked fine for a few months and now its doing the same thing again. Oh by the way I was informed that I did not need to put a new brain in the car the old one was very good. GM is a realy bad place to buy any car any more, they do not care about the customer only the $$$ they sold me a car they new full well had problems.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 142015

Equinox

I was traveling down the road and vehicle shut off causing lost of steering, brakes etc...got truck pulled to side of the road tried to restart it took 6 tries before restarting, then on the same day stopped at store cut off truck returned and truck would not start again taking 6 tries it made no noise when trying to start and the instrument cluster lit up with all the several warnings then it would make a clicking noise and everything flashed on the cluster..this has happened four other times and I am very concerned cause it happens with no notice.on Aug 17 2015 I went to start the truck and it would start and repeated the same things listed above. After about six hrs I went to start it again it started..this is problem cause I never know when it will shut down if II am driving in town or the highway.

- Ayden, NC, USA

Jul 032015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, there was smoke coming from the top of the steering column and a burning odor emitted inside the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred on three different occasions. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the dimmer switch module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jul 262015

Equinox

Having problems starting sub. New battery, all lights and radio works, key slides out when care is on. Engine and fan come on for no reason.

- Akron , OH, USA

Mar 262015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the ignition switch housing failed and all the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle felt as if it were losing power when driving. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to determine what was wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer wa notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Crivitz, WI, USA

Aug 292012

Equinox

I have a 2006 Equinox which I bought in 2010. While I had various "of age" repairs, such as fuel system issues and a fan motor; with the age and mileage, they seemed normal. In 2013 I replaced the egr valve and transmission speed sensor simultaneously; as the code was for egr, but would only intermittently kick in the tss code (the car died in the middle of traffic 3 times before I could get the code to stay so we could find the problem). Among looking online for the problem, it was common, but my dealer would not fix without the code. June, 2014, the brakes started pulsating on the car in low speeds. I would have to pump the brakes to get it to stop. Twice, pumping the brakes at an intersection failed, and nearly resulted in a wreck with my daughter in the car. The ABS and tc lights would come on intermittently. I took it to a mechanic: He evaluated each connection and cleaned them, where the ABS harness connects to the main harness. He found no discrepancies. After 2 more months of dangerous driving, and a whole new set of brakes (all 4), online research prevailed once again. This problem was common; and suggested a rather cheap fix. The 18 in wire harness from the wheel speed sensor to the main harness had an issue. Sure enough I, a woman, after being told the dealership didn't carry the part, ordered it online and replaced it in 15 minutes. No problems since then. May, 2015. What appeared to be a thermostat issue ended up being a coolant reservoir problem. The reservoir was broken, where the plastic nipple that comes out the bottom attaches with the hose. After I contacted all parts stores in the area, I was told while it was common for Chevrolet trucks and Equinox vehicles, the Equinox part was no made available to the parts stores. I had to special order online, thank goodness it worked.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

May 072015

Equinox

Ignition switch gets stuck and you can not turn the car on. Sometime you can not get the key out and sometimes T feels like the pins in the switch are not dropping. This originally happened when we purchased the vehicle a couple of years ago and now happening again.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Mar 082015

Equinox 6-cyl

Driving down the road with the heat on and it wouldnt go higher then low and about 5 miles later I went higher on its own. About 1 minute later the heat started blowing and then stopped and now will not blow hot or cold air.

- Menominee, MI, USA