CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 032016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. It was diagnosed that the power control module and the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 118,000.

- New Haven, CT, USA

May 272016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the ignition failed to turn without warning. sometimes, the contact was unable to place the key in the ignition or remove the key from the ignition. Also, the vehicle overheated and the temperature gauge increased. When the vehicle was turned off, the engine fan ran for an hour afterward, which caused the battery to fail. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Clayton, NY, USA

Jul 142016

Equinox

The key is hanging up in the ignition after turning vehicle off. It is often difficult to put the key back in the ignition to then start it again. The vehicle now stalls while running without notice. When it does, all power cuts off (power brakes, traction control, lights radio, breaks - anything electric shuts off. Have been able to pull the vehicle over and restart it almost immediately. Happens on the street as well as freeway. I wonder whether this is covered by a recall or something. Please let me know as this does not seem to be very safe.

- Pleasant Valley, MO, USA

Apr 122016

Equinox

Vehicle randomly shuts off completely at different speeds while driving. It has happened once every three days up to 6 times in 20 minutes. It has occurred on the freeway and city streets. Had PCM reprogrammed, no luck. I have been testing different fixes. While doing so I noticed I am able to pull the key out at any ignition position.

- Richfield, MN, USA

May 302016

Equinox

Car started over heating due to cooling system value, blown head gasket after 93000 miles ran hot while idle.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Feb 092015

Equinox

ABS activation at low speeds on dry pavement. This happens randomly and changes the vehicle breaking distance. It is also unknown how much it will change the distance. So it can potentially cause a low speed impact accident. This is due to not knowing where to break for proper stopping distance. Engine problem when starting vehicle. The vehicle turns over then stalls. Only way I have found to prevent it from happening is to press the gas pedal while turning it over. Wiper issue. My passenger side windshield wiper doesn't work. I live in an area where heavy snow fall happens. This is a danger to myself and others on the road. If my vehicle is on the road during a blizzard or heavy snow visibility is lost on half my windshield.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Jan 222016

Equinox

My 2006 Chevy eqinox has problem with starting since it was new, I took it in GM service when it was 1 year old and told them the car starts hard sometime shuts off couple times before it turns over and GM service manager told me that everything is ok but now it is harder and harder to start it up I also know couple other people that having same problem and when I google the problem I found there is thousands same issues with problems like my with same car, please help. Thanks.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Dec 302015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 40 mph, the temperature gauge indicator displayed hot as the engine overheated with a burning odor. All the interior windows became extremely foggy and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. There were no flames visible. In addition, the heater intermittently emitted cold air through the vents. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the heater core and flushed the cooling system. On three separate occasions, the thermostat was replaced. The approximate mileage 89,934

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 072015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 40 mph, the temperature gauge indicator displayed hot as the engine overheated with a burning odor. All the interior windows became extremely foggy and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. There were no flames visible. In addition, the heater intermittently emitted cold air through the vents. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the heater core and flushed the cooling system. On three separate occasions, the thermostat was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Equinox

Vehicle started overheating with a jumped idle, I replaced the lower intake, valve seats, O rings, 3 thermostats. It has been bleed for two days now, at first it started to overheat while driving so I bled the cooling system and tried it again. It drove fantastic didnt overheat at all. I pulled into my parking spot which the car had been running there for over an hour no problem. I thought the problem was fixed now its overheating parked and its just inconsistent and leaving my stranded

- Flin, MI, USA

Aug 222015

Equinox

When my Equinox hit 60,400 miles it was running fine and after parking it for 20 minutes it suddenly ran hot which caused the heads to warp. Chevrolet paid $3000 towards the repair and I paid $1000. They called it a "grace warranty" and gave me a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty on the repair. The car was repaired but never the same afterwards. Constant overheating and coolant loss issues. I have flushed the system. Changed thermostats twice, and changed the corrosive dexcool antifreeze to the yellow non corrosive universal antifreeze. It ran great for 1 month then started overheating again. The coolant is full, thermostat is new. It is fine while driving, heat begins to climb when stopped.

- Cleveland , OH, USA

Aug 162015

Equinox

Faulty gaskets (head gasket and intake gasket) lets air into cooling system. The engine coolant was displaced to the overflow tank. I was at a stoplight and the vehicle started to sputter as it started to overheat, was able to get thru the intersection to a service station. Gasket repairs estimated cost $2400.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Jul 262015

Equinox

Having problems starting sub. New battery, all lights and radio works, key slides out when care is on. Engine and fan come on for no reason.

- Akron , OH, USA

Jul 142015

Equinox

2006 Chevy Equinox: Heat censor went off all of a sudden, after going less than a block from my house, saying the engine was overheating. We stopped the car and shut off the engine. The engine was super hot and so was everything inside, including the rod you prop the hood open with. We let it cool down and checked the fluids, which looked fine. Oil was fine, coolant fine, etc. We turned the car back on and the censor was off. We drove to the mechanic with no air conditioning running and it never got over heated. A friend said to check the fans to see if they were working. They were not. Then, when we got it to the mechanic they did a chemical test and found a head gasket was blown and it was the quickest chemical change they have ever seen. There was no check engine light or any warning until the incident. This is only the tip of the iceburg. We have only owned this vehicle for 2.5years but we have had the driver window motor replaced, all the door and window seals are bad, both head lights have condensation( poor design, oh and the dealer said $1000 to replace) which keeps blowing the drivers head light, the ignition sticks, the visor on the drivers side fell off in the first month, the crank seal was replaced, the erg valve was replaced, and the windshield replaced after the dealer supoosedly fixed the chip. We did recieve a letter from the dealer offering to buy back our vehicle after 4 months of owning it. We thought they just wanted us to come buy another vehicle and go upsidedown on our loan, since they never give you what you paid for it. Guess we should have taken the offer. Now we wonder, "what is next!" we owe over 6K still and are forking out over 600 in car rental fees.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Jun 092015

Equinox

Car always drove beautiful. Purchased used in January, died in June. Driving under normal conditions and suddenly ran hot. Pulled over and cooled down. Nursed it home pulled over twice in 15 miles to cool down. Diagnosed by ase certified mechanic. Dealer was unavailable by cell. Many complaints on internet and youtube.com about the same situation. Sudden rise in temp like a stuck thermostat, but it's a head gasket....

- South Salem , NY, USA

May 112015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving at approximately 70 mph, the reduced engine power warning light illuminated and the vehicle drastically reduced speed to below 5 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic more than twice and they were not able to replicate the failure. The contact indicated that the independent mechanic replaced the throttle body, the sensor, and reprogrammed the sensor, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Aug 292012

Equinox

I have a 2006 Equinox which I bought in 2010. While I had various "of age" repairs, such as fuel system issues and a fan motor; with the age and mileage, they seemed normal. In 2013 I replaced the egr valve and transmission speed sensor simultaneously; as the code was for egr, but would only intermittently kick in the tss code (the car died in the middle of traffic 3 times before I could get the code to stay so we could find the problem). Among looking online for the problem, it was common, but my dealer would not fix without the code. June, 2014, the brakes started pulsating on the car in low speeds. I would have to pump the brakes to get it to stop. Twice, pumping the brakes at an intersection failed, and nearly resulted in a wreck with my daughter in the car. The ABS and tc lights would come on intermittently. I took it to a mechanic: He evaluated each connection and cleaned them, where the ABS harness connects to the main harness. He found no discrepancies. After 2 more months of dangerous driving, and a whole new set of brakes (all 4), online research prevailed once again. This problem was common; and suggested a rather cheap fix. The 18 in wire harness from the wheel speed sensor to the main harness had an issue. Sure enough I, a woman, after being told the dealership didn't carry the part, ordered it online and replaced it in 15 minutes. No problems since then. May, 2015. What appeared to be a thermostat issue ended up being a coolant reservoir problem. The reservoir was broken, where the plastic nipple that comes out the bottom attaches with the hose. After I contacted all parts stores in the area, I was told while it was common for Chevrolet trucks and Equinox vehicles, the Equinox part was no made available to the parts stores. I had to special order online, thank goodness it worked.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Apr 302015

Equinox

I have owned a 2006 Chevy Equinox since 2008. We recently noticed a swooshing fluid noise coming from the dash. When the car idles the temp light gauge comes on and the needle goes to hot. Took it to bill jacobs Chevrolet in joliet Illinois today and the advised it has a leaky head gasket with a minimum cost to repair of $1500. After researching this on the internet, there have been numerous complaints from consumers with the same exact problem directed to GM and they have done nothing. Many mechanics have said it is a design flaw and GM should be doing a recall.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Apr 242015

Equinox 6-cyl

I replaced the egr valve sensor and hose still getting a code 1404.I don't understand what the main problem could be unless it's the PCM causing problems and it has been changed as well.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 292015

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving 55 mph down a road, and my car was completely fine, then my car slowed to 40mph, then completely shut off. I was able to pull over on the side of the road. I turned the car off and tried to turn it back on but nothing happened. I waited about ten minutes and tried again and it worked and ran fine afterwards. I have seen many other similar complaints about this and I am concerned with the safety of my vehicle.

- Pine Grove , CA, USA