CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

7.7

2006 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Jul 222013

Equinox

I am now on my 4th or 5th ignition switch I 've lost count. I am so sick of not being able to start my car or allow anyone else to drive my car because they can't get it started. My fingers get raw and blistered from trying to start this genuine piece of crap car. You should be able to rely on a car to turn over and start least of all you should be able to depend on the fact that when you put the key in, it will turn, oh but not in this car. What's worse is that many people have had this problem and Chevy could care less. They would care if they live pay check to pay check. Then go and try to start their car and oh nope not going to happen then to make your day even better you get to have your car towed at a great expense. Then try to find a ride home or pay for a taxi. Then you get the blessing of having to pay for another piece of crap part to replace the part that's broken, knowing all along that it will not last and you will be replacing that one soon as well. BTW hot days are the worse, I can't explain this but once it gets over 100 degrees good luck starting the car.

- , Independence, MO, USA

Feb 042012

Equinox

This problem has been occurring intermittently for the past 2 years. About every 3 or 4 months, out of no where, suddenly I can't get the ignition to turn over. I can hear the starter cranking, but the engine just won't start. For the first year or so that this started happening, I was able to get it to finally start up by simply waiting it out for a few minutes and trying it again a few times. Or, I'd try pumping the gas peddle a few times and it'd start up. BUT, this past year, it's been happening more and more often and it's been harder for me to get the engine to turn over. In May of 2011, it just would NOT turn over.. I was trying for 30 minutes or so.. I thought for sure the battery was dead. So I replaced the battery. But sure enough, about a month later... my car left me stranded again - wouldn't turn over. It just happened again today. Left me "stranded" at a diner. It wouldn't start no matter what I did. Once again, I spent half hour trying to start my car. A family member showed up to give it a try/give me a jump/pick me up and wouldn't you know? It started right up for them! My best guess is that there is a "dead" spot on the starter.. If it stops on that particular spot (obviously this is very intermittently), then the engine won't turn over because it's not making a good connection with the starter on that spot. The problem is frustrating because like others have said, it's intermittent. If a mechanic can't reproduce the behavior, they can't identify the cause.

- , Carlisle, PA, USA

Jun 012010

Equinox LS 3.4L

Sometimes when you insert the key the starter runs and runs, but the car never starts, like there is no fuel injection. don't know what the problem is but THANKS CHEVY!

- , Cary, IL, USA

Nov 232010

Equinox

Ever since I have had this car it has occasionally been hard to start causing me to put on the gas while turning the key. Lately it sometimes doesn't even start the first time. The dealer I brought it to says there is nothing they can do unless it does it for them...and seeing how it doesn't happen every time I start the car they weren't able to experience the piece of sh*t qualities this car has to offer.

- , Freehold, NY, USA

Aug 042010

Equinox LS V6

Though most days I love my car... at times the engine won't turn over. It's not an issue with the battery because everything else in the car comes on (lights, remote entry, even the ac when I need to sit for a second and calm down) but the car just won't start. Normally, it only happens in the hot weather months so I don't know if that has something to do with this or not. Taken it to the dealership and the shop several times and I can't replicate the problem whenever its there, so it's treated like it doesn't exist. Last time - about 2 months ago - I was told that maybe it was a connection issue and they would go through and tidy up connections. Thought that fixed it but, alas, the problem has resurfaced recently :(

I read on a few sites that it could be the car's anti-theft system that needs to be reset, but who knows!

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 202006

Equinox LS 3.4L V6

HI

I HAVE 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX AND SOMETIMES I have problems starting the engine. It just won't start. The starter turns perfectly, just the motor doesn't start. When I start, I must push in the same time the gas pedal to start the motor. I have Total plus warranty but the dealer can't help because the problem only happens occasionally.

- , LaSalle, Quebec, Canada