Print this page Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Mar 152016

Sounds like the brakes grinding, starts unsafe stopping distance and happens out of blue, I have to constantly keep trying to push the brakes so it can stop. At times brakes will also be hard as rock no warning and have no brakes at all, been happening off and on. ABS/tc lights on, I was told I needed new hub bearing assembly, rotors and brake pads, all was changed and still not fixed. I keep reading about a pig tail harness but don¿T know the correct part number or its location. Started around March/2016 and its ongoing, almost got hit yesterday because the truck wouldn't brake

- Shaw, MS, USA

Nov 072015

Equinox 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Equinox. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle throttle pedal and connector failure. The consumer stated when he attempted to pass another vehicle, the accelerator pedal went immediately to the floorboard and the engine went to full power. He tapped the accelerator pedal, but it would not release; he immediately shifted into neutral and the engine stayed at full power. He then turned of the ignition and coasted to a stop. He attempted to re-start the vehicle, but it would not start. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who diagnosed the problem as a failed throttle pedal and connector.

- Auburn, CA, USA

May 112015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving at approximately 70 mph, the reduced engine power warning light illuminated and the vehicle drastically reduced speed to below 5 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic more than twice and they were not able to replicate the failure. The contact indicated that the independent mechanic replaced the throttle body, the sensor, and reprogrammed the sensor, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Aug 012012

When accelerating from 0 to 10 mph, the transmission cuts out and the vehicle jerks and bucks like it wants to die. This happens all the time from soon after I bought it new. This occurs sometimes when pulling out on the highway and I have to quickly pull my foot off of the gas to make it stop and push it again. When you're already pulling out into traffic, it is a safety hazard if you don't react quickly. I have investigated this online and all I can find is that the drivetrains were made this way and GM acknowledges it and says it's normal. I thought it was because mine was a 4 cylinder motor, but I have found that is happening with all motor types. This is not safe at all! if the car does actually die one of these times, I will probably be hit and injured. Please investigate and have a safety recall initiated.

- Jasper, IN, USA

Jul 052013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the engine was started and shifted into drive when the vehicle abruptly accelerated. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle by applying the brakes, but was eventually able to turn the key and power the vehicle off. The contact stated that the gear shifter did not move until the vehicle was powered off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the throttle box needed to be replaced. The contact stated that an independent mechanic determined that the failure was connected to the cruise control system. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileages were 95,000.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Feb 012010

Equinox 6-cyl

My 2006 Chevy Equinox had four problems that were fixed by replacing the steering column and motor: * several incidents where I could not turn the key in the ignition until I jerked the steering wheel back and forth (out of frustration). * several incidents where I could not move the steering wheel after starting the engine on a hot day. Turning engine off and restarting a few times finally engaged power steering assist. * several incidents where I lost power steering assist while turning corners and required assistance from the passenger to turn the steering wheel. * several incidents where I completely lost power steering and engine power while driving in rain. Steering column was smoking, shaking side to side and up and down, and felt like the whole steering column was falling apart under my hands. The car slowed down and did not respond to the gas pedal, even though the engine was running. Three times the escondido dealer said nothing was wrong because there were no failure codes. I thought it was wrong that I almost died and there is no error code for that, but realized I was talking to a wall. My problems continued and I went to the poway dealer who said the overheated steering motor was forcing the engine into protective mode. They asked me to leave my car and replaced the entire steering column and motor on GM warranty. None of the described incidents have recurred since replacing the steering column and motor. My problems seem similar to those stated in these complaint ODI numbers: 10168607, 10181373, 10195505, 10207818, 10210502, 10245868, 10248789, 10250004, 10321311, 10364217, 10383115, 10383313, 10410417, 10419886, 10440553. These are very dangerous problems. I could have died several times and could have killed people in other cars on the road with me. I bought this car B/C my dad was a lifelong Chevy fan. This is not my father's Chevy.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 282010

As the vehicle is approaching a stop sign or stop light while braking the vehicle will get down to about 5mph or less and then the anti lock brakes will engage. This first started happening in parking lots at low rates of speed and I first thought it was possibly ice on the ground but as it is warming up and the roads are clear the problem is more persistent. The vehicle should be stopping and there is no reason for the anti lock brakes system to be coming on. The vehicle should be finishing coming to a complete stop not starting to pump the brakes.

- Bloomington, IL, USA