Print this page Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 032011

Cpsc# I1130330A. 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. Vecicle has no heat, this is do to a 35.oo plastic part that should switch from heat to cool which is stuck and malfunctioning inside the dashboard.

- Clawson, MI, USA

May 112011

We purchased this vehicle brand new against my better judgment because I have not had much luck with american cars but my wife liked it. After several months she had to take it back to the dealer for almost every complaint filed listed on the NHTSA website. If I had the power I would classify the Chevy Equinox as lemon and recall the entire vehicle but I don't. GM need to step to the plate and address all the issues with this vehicle. Recall the Equinox year 2005-2006 now!!!!

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 082011

Vehicle no longer blows hot air when heat is on and defroster not longer blows hot air. Found many complaints about same problem on the internet. Problem seems to be with a plastic temperature door valve (temperature blend door) that is broken. No heat means windows fog up and and can not see to drive, which is a safety hazard in rainy or snowy cold weather. According to other customer complaints the cost to repair is around $1200 for $50-$80 metal part.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Feb 172011

Yesterday I got in my vehicle, turned on the heat and defrosters. I only got very cold air, the car never warmed up, the windows never defrosted, they only became foggy inside. G.M. says they have no records of this problem. The internet records over 500 incidents of the same thing happening to 2006 Chevrolet Equinox's. this car should be recalled and repaired, G.M. knows the part (plastic) fails because on later models they began using a metal part.

- Hillsboro, OH, USA

Jan 182011

My temperature door on the heater has broken off at the acuator due to defective material and my heater doesn't work causing danger when cold with no defrost or heat the part is plastic but requires 9 hours labor to replace and 3 days in the shop because it is in such a difficult location to get to requiring removal of the entire dash and HVAC unit

- Maple Valley, WA, USA

Oct 292010

It is now the end of October in Pennsylvania. It is very cold at 32 degrees. I turned my heat on in my Equinox and it is blowing cold air. I did some research online, and found out many other owners of the 2006 Equinox are having the same problem. It is due to the plastic piece braking on the heater blend door. It will cost $1,200 to fix. I called GM to see if their was a recall on theis part. I was told by GM that it has not been recalled because it "is not a safety issue". not a safety issue? I am unable to defrost my windows so I may see the road, putting my life, my children's lives and the lives of everyone on the road in danger. I would say this is a big problem!

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Apr 102010

My seatbelt in the back where my 4 yr old sir broke, my cd player more often than not will not take cd's. I do not have heat but my A/C works just fine.... updated 10/26/11

- Mcalisterville, PA, USA

Feb 222010

The heat failed to activate on my 06' Equinox when driving on the highway. The windshield could not defog and I could not see the road with the entire windshield obscured! extremely hazardous!

- Medway Ma, MA, USA

Nov 162009

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox. The truck as 51K miles. The car heater began not working last week. This morning, in Kentucky it was 45 degrees, I could not get the windshield cleared for anything. I had to pull of the side of the road and physically wipe the windshield because I have no heat on a 3 year old car. I have seen so many others on the internet with the same complaint, spending 1,000 or more for the repairs. Please recall!!!!!

- Lexington , KY, USA

Mar 032006

17 trips to the dealership for repeated problems with brakes, rotors, bearings, transmission, clicking/other sound in engine compartment not fixed as of yet by GM, broken door hinge, broken license plate bolt receivers, starter, seat belt clip, air conditioner, remotes, noises in front end, engine miss, clunking when wheels spun on wet pavement.

- Lebanon, OH, USA