CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2.4

2006 Chevrolet Equinox miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 102016

Equinox

My heater is blowing cold air. The temperature blend door broke, and it will cost me almost $1000 to fix it! this would have been deadly if it had gone out in -30 degree Minnesota winter temperatures.

- St Paul, MN, USA

Oct 102016

Equinox

Air blend door broken. Heater blows cold air. Vehicle was running.

- Groveland, FL, USA

Aug 032016

Equinox

The heating system no longer produces hot air for the heater/defroster. The problem has been identified as a broken (defective) cheap plastic arm that connects the temperature blend door to an actuator that controls the air blend. Estimated repair bill is $750-$1000. Living in the northwest it's crucial to have a functioning heater/defroster. A winter without such can prove to be disastrous, even fatal. What will GM do about this defect?

- Des Moines, WA, USA

Mar 302016

Equinox

My cars engine light and low engine power light came on while crossing an intersection reducing my speed and nearly causing an accident! when it rains, snows or goes through a car wash this happens. This has happened on multiple occasions and no mechanic has been able to resolve the issue.

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Dec 082015

Equinox

My heater is only blowing out a little better than cool air I would say it is right below warm and I have a 14 month old child the fix is $750 dollars and a lot of people have the same issue maybe a recall is what needs to happen ??

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Jan 012016

Equinox

Takata recall recently my 2006 Chevrolet Equinox ls has stopped heating up my vehicle. I have read multiple articles of owners of this vehicle having the same problem. It is due to the heater blend door being broken. To get this problem fixed is around 1,000 dollars. That is ridiculous, after knowing that more than several people are having the same problems I don't understand why there hasn't been an recall sent out. I would like GM to issue a recall so many people especially with children don't have to drive around with no heat!!!! this problem is extremely unsafe due to the vehicle not having a defrost

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Aug 112014

Equinox

Heater blend door- temperature door is broken. This repair is estimated at $1000. After reading several thousand reviews, this is a problem occurring in all of the 06 Chevy Equinox's. Chevy needs to acknowledge this defect and issue a recall. This is a very costly repair that most can not afford and something that needs replaced in a couple of years.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Jan 152015

Equinox

Ignition let's the key go while vehicle is started. Received a notice from Chevrolet stating a recall was issued for ignition cylinder. Took it to my local dealer on 7/14/15 and they said my ignition housing is bad also. Trying to charge me $230 to fix the ignition. I feel a recall needs to be placed on the entire ignition not just the cylinder. My key sticks sometimes in the on position. My key is able to be pulled from the ignition while running. My key sometimes sticks in the off position so I can't start it.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Mar 042014

Equinox

No heat from heater...blows cold air this is a safety issue for my 7 year old disable son who cannot regulate his body temp very well.

- Northampton, MA, USA

Jun 222015

Equinox

Heat stopped working. Coolant levels are fine, no explanation

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 212015

Equinox

Ignition is sticking. Sometime cant turn the key.

- Aloha, OR, USA

Sep 012014

Equinox

The temperature blend door is the problem on my vehicle. I do not have any heat, which mean I do not have defrosters. This is a dangerous situation, in which the internet is filled with complaints about this on this vehicle.. I don't know how it is not recalled. I was told my my local Chevy dealership it could cost $4,000 to fix. I brought it to another mechanic that told me it is set up to fail, as it is cheaply made! is Chevy waiting for someone to get killed when their defrosters suddenly fail. I used a plug in heater to defrost my windows this past winter because I don't have that kind of money to fix it. The problem with that is the heater kept blowing my fuses. This is a safety issue and should be addressed immediately!!

- East Providence, RI, USA

Dec 182014

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and the vehicle just shuts off and it takes along time to get it started again and this happens at least twice a day.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 142014

Equinox

The issue with the HVAC appears to be a common problem, no heat just cold air, defroster will not defrost windows but fogs them all up, which is really a problem @ 65 mph on the interstate. Spoke to dealer about tsb # 11135 issued by GM may of 2012 and they could care less about what is contained in this bulletin. Went back to dealer concerning cruise control just shutting off without warning at highway speeds, they could not get vehicle to replicate this (what no fault codes). Intermittent no start when actually using key to start, dealer claims they could not replicate this also. It appears that the dealership is very good at not wanting to fix or able to replicate any of these issues. Vehicle was bought March 25, 2014 with 99,704 miles on it, current mileage is just shy of 103,000. Come on GM stand behind your product and tell your dealers to be truthful when resaling a vehicle that has a track record like this.

- Hampton, NH, USA

Nov 012011

Equinox 6-cyl

The heater blows cold air and after having my '06 Equinox to the GM dealership twice now (they said they fixed what the bulletin no.: 11135 said to fix) but the problem still exists and they said it's going to cost me $1085 to fix it. I say that GM needs to pay for this...I'm not the only one with the problem, there are hundreds of others with the same problem.

- Brooksville, MS, USA

Jun 112013

Equinox 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox that the heater will only blow cold air, no heat, to fix the problem and this could cost me $1200, or $800, , I alredy replaced once and now have the same issue.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Nov 102014

Equinox 6-cyl

I started the car in the morning around 6:10 to take may daughter to the bus stop. I waited a few minutes for the car to get warm and before I went to pull off, I turned on the heat, the temp setting was set in the middle between hot and cold. I turned the knob all the way to heat and then turned the blower setting up. Nothing but cold air. We sat at the bus stop and even after it came there was still no heat. Later that morning I took my other children to school. I sit in a very long car pool line and drop them off at the front door. The entire trip was without heat. In the afternoon I repeat the morning by picking up the children without heat. The engine was heated up there was no reason that I knew of that the heater should not work. After taking the car to my mechanic I was informed that this is a very common problem and Chevy has not done a recall. I was also informed of what this would cost me to repair and why.I can not believe this is due to a plastic part and requires the entire dashboard be taken apart.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Sep 232013

Equinox

Heater stopped blowing hot air. After diagnosis by certified technician I was informed that the actuator for the heater blend door is not working properly/damaged. After researching the issue it became clear that there have been several hundred safety complaints filed in regards to this issue. A resolution needs to be attained as the repair cost for this item is around $1000. A recall needs to be issued by GM since it becomes a safety issue when the inability to defrost your windshield is not there.

- Clementon, NJ, USA

Apr 142012

Equinox 6-cyl

Very cold morning. Windows fogged up. Turned on defrost heard something pop and felt cold air come into the car. Drove to work by wiping the window with napkins. Called mechanic to find out what could be done was told this is common problem with this car. Called dealer to ask if their was a recall and check price against mechanics. Dealers price was the same. Interesting part was dealer denied any such problem with this car. Checked the internet and found hundreds with the same complaint. Received a notice that GM would pay for the repair but the dealer says I do not qualify. This is no cheap repair. Looking for a class action or good lawyer. Found your site to vent and help others.

- Manteno, IL, USA

Feb 122011

Equinox 6-cyl

On February 12, 2011, I began noticing the start up problems with the 2006 Chevy Equinox. It intermittently has excessive cranking time to start and as of lately (Jan. 19, 2012) it only has gotten worse. I took it to the shop to get it serviced the same day and they told me it was the mass airflow sensor. I paid for that but the problem did not go away. Since then, I have had the radio replaced and the gas has had many fuel delivery issues. I believe it is the powertrain control module which was recalled in the 2005 Chevy Equinox. It needs to also be recalled for the 2006 so that I can stop wasting my time and money on something that wasn?T built right. Thank you.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA