2.6

2007 Chevrolet Equinox fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox:

2007 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 012014

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. After the contact shut off the vehicle, fuel fumes were present in and around the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact discovered fuel leaking underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000. Updated 9/2914 the vehicle was fixed. Updated 10/02/14

- Seaford , NY, USA

May 012014

Equinox 6-cyl

In the morning of May 1, 2014, I went to the parking lot to get the Equinox to buy some groceries. When I was opening the door, I smelled gasoline. So I looked under the Equinox and saw a big wet spot under the fuel tank. I immediately brought the Equinox to an auto repair shop. It was found out that the fuel pump was leaking. So I bought a new fuel pump and the repair was finished on May 3, 2014. I would like to mention that on June 18, 2013, I brought the Equinox to the charles clark Chevrolet for inspection after I received a recall letter from General Motors for the fuel pump that would like. After the inspection of the fuel tank and fuel pump, the dealer declared no leaks and found all within specs. I was misled because the fuel pump leaked. Being recalled, the dealer should have changed the fuel pump leaking or not and I would not have spent for the repair. I immediately filed reimbursement from the dealer and I was told that my claim was forwarded to General Motors. Until now (8/22/14) I have not received any refund. Updated 03/04/15.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Apr 292014

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when the vehicle lost power and started shaking really badly...I would push on the gas to try to gain power but the vehicle did not respond. I exited to the nearest autozone and had it testes..something to do with the gsr valve and throttle and fuel system. So I changed the parts that I could but now it's having the same reaction. Now the air conditioning is not working properly as well. I've had to buy tires but they keep wearing because something is wrong with the stability track.the air bags need service. And now just two days ago something is wrong with the speedometer. The motor also makes a weird sound...over all I don't feel safe in my vehicle anymore. Now the vehicle still shakes and I have to buy tires again.it shakes very badly. Ai just did an oil change and it already needs more oil.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jul 212014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that there was a crack on the fuel pump module, which caused a fuel leak. The contact stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline).the vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Drexel, NC, USA

Mar 262014

Equinox 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox and started noticing a fuel smell coming from the rear of it as it gets worse after driving. I had a cobalt that had the recall on the fuel pump for the same issue so I looked into it and called a few local dealers and found out there is a recall on the equinoxes for it as we'll but it is only in certain areas and mine does not fall into the category. I have also researched and found out a lot of other people are having the same issue but the recall is not being extended and it should be so now to make sure it doesn't catch on fire I am having to fix the problem myself and it is not cheap to do.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Sep 152007

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle had a major fuel leak. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). Also, the contact mentioned that the instrument panel failed intermittently on numerous occasions and multiple warning lights illuminated. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V489000 (visibility). In addition, the contact stated that the air bag warning lamp was illuminate for an extended period of time and it was not confirmed by the local dealer if the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id numbers: 07V520000 (air bags) and 07V344000 (air bags). The vehicle was to be further inspected in order to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,500. Updated 08/28/14 updated 09/4/2014 the consumer stated the vehicle was repeatedly taken to the dealer, due to loss of power. The vehicle would not accelerate, the engine began jerking and the engine light constantly stayed on. The transmission was slipping, also. Updated 10/15/14.

- Gulf Port, MS, USA

May 172014

Equinox 6-cyl

I have noticed a strong gas smell after driving my car. I am now scared to drive it & don't have the money for an expensive repair.

- South Chesterfield, VA, USA

May 192014

Equinox 6-cyl

Very strong smell of gas in my garage. Moved my vehicle outside and let the garage air. Pulled my car back into the garage after a period of time closed the garage door and the smell of gas was apparently coming from the right side where the gas cap is located. Took car to Chevrolet dealer was told my gas tank was cracked cost would be $1500 got a second opinion was told the return line of the fuel pump was leaking and needed to be replaced. Cost was $1068.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 152012

Equinox 6-cyl

Vehicle smelled of gasoline odors underneath becoming worse daily until leakage was obvious by gasoline puddles on ground directly under vehicle. After numerous attempts to find a recall or a solution to my problem I finally received information from local GM dealers that there were no recalls concerning my complaint even though several complaints similar to mine had been made. So, I was left with no other alternative but to attempt to fix the problem myself. After the hoses, clamps, restraints, and tank was removed it was apparent that I could not fix it so I had a mechanic to come out, proceed with removing and replacing the leaking lines and hoses and reassembling the tank back onto the vehicle's undercarriage. Of course this would end up costing me 9 arms and 3 legs but at that time the Chevrolet dealer in tupelo Ms. Informed me that there was no recall in effect for my problem but that his staff would be more than happy to check out my problem and fix and replace any broken and or defected parts but they would only do so if and when I delivered my vehicle to their shop, also at my expense. A few months after all this happened and a few months ago, GM sent out a brochure stating that there was indeed a recall regarding my specific problem and that I should take immediate action to get my vehicle to the GM dealer (closest one from pontotoc being tupelo - dealership name withheld) where it would be professionally repaired free of any charges to me. If there indeed is or ever was a recall covering my problem, shouldn't there also be a reinstatement fee associated with it for victims that have been misinformed or who's problem initiated before the actual recall went into effect or is this just another way the auto companies make more money off the same individuals that paid the price to bail them out in the first place? concerned citizen (taxpayer).

- Pontotoc, MS, USA

Dec 172013

Equinox 6-cyl

Letter from senator reed on behalf of constituent re 2007 Equinox recalls and outstanding reimbursement issues. The consumer was informed recall 12V459000, did not apply to his vehicle identification number, and he would not be reimbursed for recall# 07V344000, even though he supplied documentation, he paid for the repairs.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Feb 242014

Equinox

My 2007 Chevy Equinox is giving me problems when I am going up a hill. My car hesitates almost every time when going up a hill what I mean when I go up the hill it is like my car is going to shut off. I have had it to the garage several time in the last month for the replacement of the fuel pump and then the O2 senor went bad right after I had the fuel pump replaced is when the hesitation started. They just replaces the spark plug and that didn't help it and they can find anything else wrong with it.

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

Feb 032014

Equinox 6-cyl

I am smelling a strong gas smell while my vehicle is parked. I have read that other people have had the same problem. I have read that it is a problem with a cracked fuel module. Is there a recall on this" I am on a very tight budget and cannot afford a huge repair bill. I am going to take it to a local repair shop for a diagnosis and estimate for repair. If there is a recall, could someone send me information on this"

- Southport, NC, USA

Sep 012012

Equinox

Vehicle was purchased and registered in Michigan. Car started smelling strong of gasoline. Fuel started leaking out of the vehicle. No accident or damage had occurred prior to the gas tank leaking. Vehicle was taken to the dealer and the fuel pump/fuel module had to be replaced. It was found that there was a crack in the fuel pump, causing it to leak gas and could of caused a fire. The recall number #12V459000 should include Michigan on the states listed. I have just recently (within the week) had this fuel pump replaced, and the dealership did not know of this recall and I had to pay to have it fixed.

- Ortonville, MI, USA

Nov 272013

Equinox 6-cyl

Upon smoke test of fuel system it was found that fuel is leaking from fuel line where the fuel line meets the fuel pump on top of the fuel tank. I was advised that this is a safety item and to see if this is an item under warranty through the dealership. I did receive a technical service bulletin for this issue.

- Boise, ID, USA

Nov 252013

Equinox 6-cyl Diesel

After parking my car, I stepped outside and noticed that my car smelled like gasoline. When I took my car to the mechanic, they told me that the fuel pump had a crack and was leaking fuel which was causing the smell and a potentially dangerous situation. The mechanic said that he had seen this before with other Chevrolet Equinox vehicles like mine. I asked the mechanic to fix the vehicle and I would investigate if this is a known issue with this particular make/model. It seems it is a known problem and the vehicle was part of a regional recall by General Motors.

- Athens, GA, USA

Sep 272013

Equinox 6-cyl

Noticed a strong smell of gas coming from the vehicle when parked. Had to move it out of garage as smell was extremely strong and spread throughout my two story home. I took car in to independent garage repair for service one mile from my home immediately on 09/27/2013 at 06:00 P.M. closest dealership is nine miles from my home. Found that the plastic part of the fuel pump module was cracked and cost $545.23 for a new fuel pump module and $350 labor. Total cost including supply fees and tax, $942.06. Found out there is a recall for this very same issue. I will be calling GM for reimbursement and can already envision their refusal as they claim they must inspect vehicle and do the repair. I live in Texas and am the original purchaser of this vehicle in Texas.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jul 222013

Equinox 6-cyl

I started smelling gas in my vehicle and it did not go away. I couldn't see any place where it was leaking so took it to my mechanic. He said the gas tank is leaking on both sides and it would have to be replaced.

- Gladwin, MI, USA

Jan 152011

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the contact smelled gasoline fumes inside the vehicle cabin. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 082012

Equinox 6-cyl

We started smelling gas in early May 2012. When the warning light came on, we took it into a mechanic, who determined it was the fuel module that was cracked and leaking and we paid a small fortune to get it replaced. In October of that year, GM announced a recall for this exact problem, but has repeatedly said our VIN is not on the list. I cannot see how this is possible. Why is the recall for just a few states" we live in Oklahoma, but the recall is for Texas. How is this possible? why is no-one pushing for a nationwide recall, and why can we not get reimbursed for the costs of our repairs" I hope you can help.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Apr 262013

Equinox 6-cyl

About a month ago we started smelling gas both inside and outside the vehicle. After a few weeks the vehicle was starting to have trouble starting where it would sound like the car was "flooded" and wouldn't turn over right away. I took the vehicle to the Chevrolet dealership today and they diagnosed the problem as a cracked fuel module system that was leaking fuel. I have read thousands upon thousands of complaints regarding this part on this particular Equinox and there is even a recall on the part but in only 4 states which isn't fair to rest of the owners that are suffering the same problem.

- Forty Fort, PA, USA