2007 Chevrolet Equinox seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox:

2007 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Dec 012011

Equinox 6-cyl

The service airbag message appears when there is a person in the passenger seat of the vehicle. The dealer said it is due to the passenger presence module. An internet search for "2007 Equinox passenger presence module" reveals that there is a known issue with the passenger presence sensor (pps) on this vehicle. The passenger side airbag will not deploy in the event of an accident due to the defective sensing system/part. The manufacturer should repair this system/part before an injury due to the defect occurs.

- Carleton, MI, USA

May 022012

Equinox 6-cyl

While driving the airbag sensor for the passenger seat shut off then turned back on repeatedly. Then sensor is not correctly identifying when there is as passenger in the front passenger seat, and the airbag is then automatically shut off. When it was taken to the dealership we were told that there are two sensors that are not working correctly for the passenger presence system. Unfortunately the VIN number is not in the 2007 recall listed affected VIN numbers, even though it is having the same sensor problem.

- Gillette, WY, USA

Jul 202011

Equinox

I have not had an accident, so the above date, mileage and speed are estimates. While traveling down the highway, the service airbag light came on. The passenger airbag light also went off. It later came back on. My wife was sitting in the passenger seat at the time. Any time we go somewhere, this happens numerous times. I feel this is a defect in the sensor under the seat cushion in the passenger seat. I have noticed that the NHTSA has a recall on 437 units for this problem and your campaign # is 07V34400. According to the man named rob I spoke with at GM, my vehicle was not included in that recall. I feel this is a very serious problem and don't feel like my wife or either one of my children would be protected in the event of an accident where the airbag needs to deploy. It may not due to this defective sensor. I would like to know if you can offer any assistance in getting this taken care of without me having to pay for it. I am on disability income and trying to support a family of four leaves no money for such things. I feel like GM should have to cover this, since it's a defect on their part, and not mine. Is there any way you could add my vehicle to the recall now that I've made you aware of it and given you the VIN #? we're planning a 1,500 mile round trip on the 23rd of June to travel to our church convention and would like to have this problem rectified before making the trip, if at all possible. Thanks for your time and attention.

- New Johnsonville, TN, USA

Dec 152011

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, a vehicle crashed into the passenger side door of the contact's vehicle. The airbags did not deploy. The contact suffered injuries to the head and knees. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was towed from the scene and a police report was filed. The manufacturer was contacted and filed a claim in regard to the air bag failure. The manufacturer was unable to determine why the air bags did not deploy. The failure and the current mileage was 80,000.

- South Boston , VA, USA

Jan 122011

Equinox

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox that I purchased 2nd hand. The passenger air-bag would not engage (it had an X through it) when my wife sat in the seat. I took it to my mechanic who suggested that I try putting a cushion on the seat. I bought a 1" thick cushion and the air-bag light has worked (indicating that the air-bag is engaged) every time since. A simple fix to a potentially life-threatening problem!

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 172011

Equinox

I had told the Chevy dealer the air bag sensor light states "warning please service" they told me it was an old code. A few months later I readended another driver and my airbags did not open up. They did crack because I felt the burn on my arms. Yet, I'm being told it was an old code and there is nothing wrong with them. Now the light stays on all the time and no one will listen to me. I'm afraid there could be a malfunction and it could hurt me or my family, but no one will listen to me.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Sep 102011

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated a passenger side air bag warning light would illuminate whenever the vehicle was started with a passenger in the passenger seat. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer to have the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA recall campaign id number 07V344000 (air bags:frontal:sensor/control module). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Dec 012010

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the SRS warning lamp was illuminated. In addition, the vehicle would sporadically fail to start. The contact also added that when driving in inclement weather, the spare tire well would fill with water. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for repairs or diagnosis. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 36,000.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Feb 142010

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated with an occupant in the passengers seat, the air bag warning light would illuminate. The manufacturer advised there were no recalls on the vehicle and would provide no further assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 50,400 and the current mileage was 52,914. Updated 07/19/10 the consumer stated the air bag should turn on when an adult occupies the seat. Sometimes it would say air bag on, and then moments later it would go back to air bag off. Updated 07/21/10

- Seaford, DE, USA

Apr 192009

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that her air bags and turn signals do not work, and the door locks fail to lock. She took the vehicle to the dealer and they are charging $600 to repair the failures. The contact stated that she does not have the money for the repairs. The manufacturer stated that they could not assist. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 252009

Equinox

1997 Equinox passenger seat sensor intermittent. Rose Chevrolet claims they replaced the sensor under warranty that they had to wait 3 days for. As my wife was driving down interstate realized that her sister had no airbag. The display said it was off again. My wife could not reset the problem at that time w/O turning the car off/on and hoping it would see that her sister was indeed sitting there. Will be taking this back to rose Chevrolet in hamilton oh again.

- Westchester, OH, USA

Jul 132007

Equinox

The passenger air bag only comes on now & then. My vehicle has been to the garage numerous times. I've explained what happens. Also have issue with wipes work, then not, blinkers work then not, blinkers double click. Radio gets real loud sometimes, beeps when door open real loud. Have replaced 3 batteries & two starters. But everytime in garage, hear "nothing wrong". I don't feel safe driving my car. I'm afraid if I get in accident my air bag wont work. All this started six months after bought car.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jan 172008

Equinox

I was in an automobile accident 1/17/08, stopped to make a left hand turn and was struck from behind, pushed into the opposing lane and then struck in the front by a small bus. My vehicle was a total loss. No airbags deployed. I am concerned that with the amount of impact from the rear right and frontal collisions, that the airbags did not deploy.

- Georgetown, DE, USA

Oct 122007

Equinox

I had 2 Chevy Equinox 2007 model, loaded. First vehicle repurchased due to multiple episodes of stabilitrak failure, turn signals quit working, radio problems, passenger system airbag not working, and finally failure of main airbag system. Given exact twin of first car, as thought that car was just a lemon. 2nd Equinox had 2 episodes of stabilitrak failure, and a new steering column placed, and then had total system failure of the steering, brakes, gas, stabilitrak, and airbag system while driving the vehicle. I had absolutely no control over any of these systems! you could turn my steering wheel 360 degrees, and the wheels never moved, the brakes didn't work, the gas didn't work, and all alarms were going off that the systems, including the airbags were not working. Luckily, no one was injured as I had just begun making a turn into roadway and all vehicles coming at me both ways were able to swerve, and the car was going slow enough and over a slight incline that it rolled to a stop just before hitting a steel light post. This car was also repurchased. Something is very wrong in the engineering of this vehicle and I am concerned for all the other people owning/driving this vehicle.

- Hobart, IN, USA