2.7

2007 Chevrolet Equinox steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox:

2007 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 162014

Equinox 6-cyl

I gave someone a boost and my power steering went out right after they boosted their car.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Jul 072014

Equinox 6-cyl

On 7-7-14, while driving home from the doctors' office, the vehicle slowed down. It was like I was driving on a washboard and was very hard to steer. When I pulled off the road and was backing up to park, it was as though I had no power steering. I turned the ignition switch off for a few seconds, and when I restarted the vehicle, I pressed on the brake pedal and attempted to move the shift lever, it would not move until I pressed the brake pedal as hard as I could. Then the vehicle responded normally. This problem has occurred on several occasions. In June 2014, we took the vehicle to the dealership in an effort to correct the problem. They readjusted the brake pedal switch. I had no problem until 7-7-14. We took the vehicle back to the dealership and they quoted us a cost of over $600 to replace the traction control module because they told us that it was unrelated to the first incident. However, the vehicle was doing the same exact thing as the first time we took it in. After reading other complaints identical to mine, I'm not very comfortable with what I'm being told regarding this problem. I'm the primary driver of this vehicle, since my husband suffered a stroke on 2-18-2013. Too bad you buy a vehicle and do not feel safe driving it. I hope no one is injured or killed before something is done to correct this problem.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 282014

Equinox

When I put my vehicle in park and try to turn off my car, the key gets stuck in the ignition more often than not. I then have to turn it on, back up, pull forward, and turn it off again to see if it will let me take the key out. Sometimes I have to do this 5-6 times!

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 012013

Equinox

While driving home my car suddenly became very very hard to steer I could not make right or left turns without extreme difficulty turning the wheel. In fact it felt like the power steering had completely went out in the 2007 Equinox. When I went to the Chevrolet garage they were no help but to tell me they would not do a thing until I paid $89 they would not even say if this was an issue experienced by anyone else in the past or about how much it could even cost if they found something. When I left the car started to act correctly but the stabilitrak service light came off and on again we asked about this at the garage they would not comment on that until we paid $89. As I did not feel safe at all driving the car I remembered another place here in town that handled cars and the rebuilding of most any main featured items from motors to transmissions and went there the auto mechanic took the car for a drive of course the stabilitrak service light did not come on but the steering once again acted up. He immediate informed me that it was the power steering motor and we ordered it and had it installed last week June 20th. The garage had a lot of trouble getting the part because they had to deal with a dealer here in town and they gave them a very hard time. During this wait to get the part and have it installed the steering only acted up during the cold months but once the weather warmed up I did not have a problem and the light issue stopped. With the new motor the car drove well this weekend but now the light has again come on for the stabilitrak service. This is so very annoying as I have no faith in the dealerships here as all they can say "we need $89 to even step over to look at it". believe me when I say I will never buy a Chevy again.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Oct 212011

Equinox 6-cyl

Sometimes when you park the keys will not come out of the ignition. You have to keep starting the vehicle, turning the steering wheel back and forth, or slamming the shifter into park it happens about 12 times per week! also the trac control light will pop on and then heal on its own, stay off as long as a 16 months then go back on for a week or two then back off! weird.

- Viera, FL, USA

Mar 032010

Equinox

I have owned this vehicle since 2009 and have had multiple issues, recurring frequently. The 2 main concerns are stuck key in ignition and stabilitrack and electrical malfunctions. There is a definite issue with the ignition in these vehicles, not only does my key get stuck, it has also been knocked out when hitting a bump. I own a cobalt too that has been recalled and my Equinox has the same issues with ignition this is dangerous and frustrating!! in addition, my stabilitrack has been serviced twice since I have owned. The electrical system goes crazy and lights up with airbag service, stabilitrack service and ABS brake warnings. I just spent 600 on brakes and rotors and it still lights up. The car has been checked and none of these warnings are accurate. These lights come on and off randomly and have for years. The fuel gauge will rotate backwards. The oil indicator that tracks oil life resets itself at random. I am angry! these issues need addressed. Are we not taken seriously because no one died" there are multiple complaints of the same nature as mine and yet no recall" sad that action is taken only after someone is killed! GM needs to do right by people who spend their hard earned money to purchase these vehicles. I have always been pro Chevy but not anymore. Their customer service and quality sucks.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jun 102014

Equinox

On two occasions the power steering has gone out while I started my car. Each time this occurred I was unable to steer the vehicle. It was very dangerous to drive as it was very difficult to make right and left hand turns.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jun 042014

Equinox 6-cyl

Power steering module went out and I need that module, I bought it used and I did not know anything of a recall I was not told anything about it.

- Graceville, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Equinox 6-cyl

Power steering stopped working. It was working fine, I parked went in to school to get daughter came out and it wasn't working. Service stabilitrak light on.

- Hopkinsville, KY, USA

May 232014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while traveling 15 mph, the traction control light illuminated and immediately after the shocks and the brakes engaged independently. The contact mentioned that the vehicle decelerated and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure recurred only once. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 86,000 and the current mileage was 86,000. Updated 8/19/14

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 072014

Equinox 6-cyl

My Chevrolet Equinox power steering locked up while backing out of the drive way. GM is recalling certain vehicles with the power steering locking up. It bothers me that certain vehicles are being recalled when others are not with the same problem. I have gone online to find other people that have encountered the same issue with this vehicle. It is very inconvenient to have to come out of pocket to pay for a replacement GM should have taken care of.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Jan 082012

Equinox 6-cyl

About a year and a half ago, my power steering went out on my Equinox. I haven't had any accident due to this but I find it weird that the recall of the GM automobiles have the same defects and problems as mines. Ive also had problems with my engine as well when the stibilitrac like came on. I took it to Chevy but the didn't have the part and they said the would order it. I never heard anything else from them. Please advise me on what to do because if its a defect. I need to go get it fix. Im still having the problem.

- Fultondale, AL, USA

Oct 142009

Equinox

Passenger side seat airbag sometimes does not come on. Can't seem to find the problem. Kind of a nerve racking situation. Steering column does not lock when the vehicle is shut off and the key removed. Not a good feeling with all that is going on with GM ignition switch problems.

- Lake, MI, USA

Feb 032014

Equinox

I was leaving my driveway and my electric power steering quit working. I ended up in the other lane because my car wouldn't turn. Luckily there was no one else using that lane at the time. Now I see a recall in the news in which GM says they want to get all vehicles that could be effected, but they don't include the Equinox.?

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Mar 132014

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated while driving in reverse out of the drive way she lost control of the vehicle due to the power steering failure. The steering wheel was hard to turn. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the power steering control module. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage 149,000. Updated 5/27/14 updated 06/17/14

- Princeton, WI, USA

Mar 192014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that when the engine was started, the steering wheel failed to turn without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The contact did not know the name of the part that failed within the steering system. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 30,000.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Mar 142014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed and the stabilitrac warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Danielsville, GA, USA

Jan 312014

Equinox

The vehicle just started to slow down, it was difficult to steer to get off the road. It felt like the car was locking up. There was a strong burning smell. I was concerned that there would be a fire. The vehicle would not go backward or forward. A tow truck had to be called. The diagnosis was the power brake booster, which they replaced. Two weeks later the car locked up again. Now they are saying the entire braking and stabilizer system has to be replaced.

- Holley, NY, USA

Feb 152014

Equinox 6-cyl

The steering column quit working on our 2007 Equinox (confirmed by Chevrolet dealership). Car had to be towed because of danger when driving. Car has fewer than 50,000 miles. Dealership said this was a common problem. The column would quit working and signal could not get to steering motor. Approximate cost - $728 not including tow charge.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 172014

Equinox 6-cyl

I had to jump start my vehicle and my power steering was not working.

- Enterprise, MS, USA