2008 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 182011

Equinox

Locks on car have got to where they may or may not lock or unlock. Not only very inconvenient to get in or out of car but could very well be a major safety issue in the event of a wreck and not able to get out.

- Mount Sterling, KY, USA

Mar 112013

Equinox

My 2008 Equinox has been having problems with starting, it's fine when it's sat over night hours but during the day when it's only sat a couple or a few hours it will hesitate and I've taken it to the dealership where I purchased it and they kept saying nothing is wrong but it continues to do it, so something has to be wrong and the passenger front window doesn't go down and I had been taking it to be looked at for the starting problem way before the warranty was up and I don't feel I should have to pay to have the problems corrected.)

- Skowhegan , ME, USA

Mar 112013

- Skowhegan , ME, USA

Jun 202013

Equinox 6-cyl

Air bag on passenger seat would work and not work and has now completely stopped working. Door locks on front will not lock electronically. Have to manually lock the front doors at all times. Stabilizer track stays off. Use to come and no and now will not come back on.

- Chadbourn, NC, USA

Aug 092014

Equinox 6-cyl

Since mid-Aug, my Equinox has been randomly/intermittently losing engine power (as well as steering/braking) for short periods of time. Thankfully, while this is happening more frequently, (now at least weekly) it has not happened in traffic. When checking service codes, the indicated problem systems are "secondary ignition circuit" and "stabilitrak." I do not feel the car is safely drivable, but my local Chevrolet dealer cannot offer me even a diagnostic appointment earlier than Dec 1.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

May 012009

Equinox 6-cyl

My key gets stuck in the ignition and I have to wait a couple of minutes before it releases so I can get it out. Sometimes once I start the car I can hear the key click several times. I have brought in to the dealership numerous times and they cannot find anything wrong with it.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 142014

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle hydro-planed and crashed. The contact mentioned that none of the air bags deployed. A police report was filed and injuries were sustained. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was inspected and the technician stated that the air bags were not expected to deploy. The failure mileage was 91,000. Pam..updated 09/25/14 updated 10/23/2014 the consumer stated the key was stuck in the ignition. Updated 12/08/14. Updated 12/28/15. The consumer stated GM claimed to have investigated the crash and stated the air bag was not designed to deploy in the type of crash the consumer was involved in. Updated 01/05/16. Updated 06/02/16.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Aug 262014

Equinox 6-cyl

1.)this morning, I started my car, it stalled out, like it did not want to start. I swept that under the rug. After work, I started my car and it stalled again while trying to start. As a matter of fact it was as if someone had gotten under the hood and disconnected/reconnected my battery. I had to reset my clock and radio stations.2.)also, while I am complaining, I have had to change my brake lights at least 4 times within the last year. I called the dealership and they just said "you do know you have to change the bulbs every once in a while"---yes! but not several times in one year. 3.)there is also moisture in the headlights--even after the dealership "fixing it". 4.) my key fob does not lock the passenger side door. (sometimes they lock, sometimes they don't. I have read some of the same complaints, but yet there are no recalls. Are you kidding me?

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 192014

Equinox 6-cyl

Multiple problems with 2008 Equinox, purchased in July 2008.. key will get stuck in ignition and takes several tries to remove it. Check airbag light on intermittently and passenger airbag shuts off. Check stabilitrac light intermittently and shuts off when on interstate and/or when cruise control is set drivers side window is inoperable almost 100% of the time, but will work, sometimes, when the door is shutting or when you hit the door panel. Vehicle alarm will set but drivers side door never locks and front passenger door rarely lock, same for when car is put in drive. Will not lock by using the lock/unlock button located inside vehicle both back door locks get hung and must be manually unlocked.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

May 152013

Equinox 6-cyl

First incident, steering failure. Service stabilitrack warning appeared and steering went out making it almost impossible to steer. Took to dealership who stated steering module went out and replaced at my own cost. Very dangerous to loose steering control while driving. Entire steering and interior control module was also replaced a second time. Dealer stated it was normal for this to wear out and need replaced. Service stabilitrack warning still continues to come on occasionally. Took to dealership again and they said they could not find any issue. Hopefully the steering will not go out this time while I am going down a major highway at higher speeds. Have also continuously experienced issues with water in the vehicle. Can hear the water sloshing around. Water in the headlights making it difficult to see at night. Door locks only work intermittently. Car was involved in an accident, front end collision and air bags did not deploy. Serious safety risk.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Jul 152014

Equinox 6-cyl

Car failed to start after a hard overnight rain storm the night before, then started after a 15 minute wait for the aaa. It has not occurred since. I am concerned about a loss of power while driving. Repeatedly turned key to start position, but no power to the starter. Had obd 2 diagnostic but not codes found, just wait to see if happens again.

- Whiting, NJ, USA

Jul 122014

Equinox

Air bag does not stay on! driving over 20 mph air bag did not turn on and seat belt warning light remained off. A person weighing about 200 lbs was in the front passenger seat and air bag was off while car was on, in drive, and moving. This is a big safety hazard. If accident did occur and air bag did not deploy could be fatal. Needs to fixed!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 012013

Equinox

Problems with my veh. Covers a long period and has worsen over time, first the (TPMS) tire pressure monitoring system went bad, then the temperature gauge went out of serv., then the air bag sensor on front pass. Side worked when it wanted. Now the front pass door does not lock or unlock unless manually, now the driver window does not operate up or down, and till now only once the car keys were stuck in the ignition. Have checked with GM recall list that seem to have some of the problems I have but my 2008 Equinox is not on it. This electrical malfunction can only get worse. What's next to go.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Oct 012013

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Jun 272014

Equinox 6-cyl

While stopped at a light the stabilitrak failed and the car in a possessed manor accelerated and the brakes failed pushing me forward into traffic. Once I regained some control of the vehicle, the car was hopping, the engine was making a knocking sound, and I could not go more than 25 miles per hour and steering was difficult. Two warning lights came on. 1 was as stabilatrak requires service, the other was reduced engine power. The dash also had the check engine light on. Because it was late and the issue started maybe on 5 miles from home, we tried to creep home at 25 miles per hour. There is no warning that your vehicle is going to do this. This also happened on a road trip from Chicago to minneapolis; halfway there warning lights went off and I lost stability along with my 4 wheel drive.

- Columbia Heights, MN, USA

Jan 112012

Equinox

TL * the contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition, which prevented the vehicle from being turned off. The dealer stated that a blown fuse caused the failure. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 70,000. J

- Gray, GA, USA

Apr 092014

Equinox

Doors do not lock anymore. The key fob also will not lock the doors. I have to go around to each door and lock them manually.

- West Dundee, IL, USA

Jul 042010

Equinox 6-cyl

Electrical door locks don't work, other Equinox owners I talk to, have same problems.

- Concord, NC, USA

Mar 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the ignition was defective and prevented the key from releasing from the ignition. The contact had to move the steering wheel to the left and right in order to release the key from the ignition. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 38,000. Updated 05/28/14

- Louisville , KY, USA

Mar 282014

Equinox 6-cyl

Passenger side air bag doesn't work and may be because of the ignition switch which seems to be a problem with a lot of GM vehicles.

- Sunrise, FL, USA