2008 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 152009

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox ltz purchased new. My complaint is similar to many of the reports by drivers involved in the GM recall on ignitions. Like them, I cannot remove my key from the ignition. Fortunately, my car has not stalled, but I wonder if that's next. When turn off my ignition, occasionally I must wait up to a minute for the ignition to release the key. I wait to hear a certain sound and then am able to pull the key from the ignition. While waiting, I realize that I'm in a vulnerable position since crimes occur against those sitting in cars. I don't want to leave my car with the key in the ignition, so I wait. I read a few years in the Equinox forum at that others have had this experience. Some took their cars to the dealers, but the problem was never solved. So I didn't take mine to a dealer since it seemed pointless. Some in the forum recommended to remove everything from the keychain, except the key. I did that 2-3 two years ago. It didn't solve the problem, and I don't know if it mitigated the problem from escalating like those involved in the recall. If you plan to investigation, I'll be glad to provide my VIN.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 012014

Equinox 6-cyl

While idling hearing very loud clicking noise from passenger side of the car. Opened the hood and found my #1 spark plug jutting in and out of the cylinder head. Also smell burning rubber/gas smell. Very tired of this vehicle and manufacture's unwillingness to say there is major problems with it. This is the 5th issue I have had with the vehicle!!!!!!!!

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 292013

Equinox 6-cyl

The driver's door of my 2008 Equinox has started not locking or unlocking with the remote. The window will not go down, the interior lights will not come on or go off when the door is opened or closed, & the radio will not shut off when the door is opened. I have also changed headlights 3 times in the 3 years that I have owned the car. Now the tags lights are burnt out also. Seems like an electrical problem to me.

- Collinsville, MS, USA

Feb 202013

Equinox 6-cyl

Driver and passenger door locks non responsive to key fob or electronic lock control.

- Florence, AL, USA

Jul 022012

The drivers side back door will sometimes unlock with the kiosk and sometimes I have to manually unlock the door lock. This has been going on for a year. Now my drivers side window will sometimes roll down after several times trying to roll it down. Other times it will not roll down. Has anyone else experienced this with their 2008 Equinox?

- Tucson , AZ, USA

Jun 032013

Equinox 6-cyl

Stability trac light came on, lost power steering, took it to Chevy dealer, said low voltage condition, replaced battery, work for about a month, same problem again. Not the battery.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 032012

Equinox 6-cyl

The car was jerking into gear, especially while putting it into reverse. The car would not go into gear the next morning and had to be towed to the shop. I had to get the transmission replaced at 43,000 miles. I have replaced the headlights twice and hit the hood this last time and it came on. The mechanic said it's not sealed properly. I had to replace the rear brake lights after a thunderstorm. The mechanic said the car is not properly sealed and moisture is trapped inside the lights. The cost to replace an $11 bulb was $24 in labor because its impossible to get to the headlight. The brake lights cost $$54 in labor because you literally have to disassemble the entire bumper.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 062012

Equinox 6-cyl

I purchased my Chevrolet Equinox brand new in 2008 and currently we are having issues with the following: 1- drivers side window- will only roll down and/or up intermittently. Occasionally it will roll back up if the interior panel is hit several times. 2- door locks/alarm- the alarm will set but the doors will not lock with the key fob. When using the power locks inside the car, the drivers side door is the only door that will consistently lock. The back door locks will get stuck half way and won't lock or unlock except manually. 3- stabilitrac- the stabilitrac will disable randomly. It has happened while driving in dry conditions or wet conditions, on warm and cold days and also when the car is being started in the driveway. 4- airbags- the "service airbags" light will come on and go off for no reason. It will come on one day and be on for a week and then go off for a month or two and then come back on again. 5- drivers side headlight cover holds a lot of moisture 6- check tire pressure comes on quite a bit for no reason. All tire pressures are double checked and are at the perfect pressure recommended by GM.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Apr 032012

Equinox 6-cyl

Drivers side power door lock stopped working. Driver side power window slowly began to fail. Would work when it wanted to and then stopped working altogether. Seems like the same recall as the 250K midsize SUV's based on the trailblazer(2006,2007).

- Boylston, MA, USA

Jun 012011

Equinox 6-cyl

Service traction control, service stabilitrak, all wheel drive off. Dash lights came on with these 3 messages again. April 6 the dealership put in a new stabilizer and it failed again!

- Spring Grove, IL, USA

Jun 292008

Equinox 6-cyl

Several incidents with vehicle from 6/08-current - check engine lights and several repairs including transmission replacement and currently awaiting parts for a new problem. Car 24 months old, purchase new and has had several issues and has been towed 4 times for breakdowns. Have 2 small children under 5yrs and terrified to drive with issues. Have copies of all dealership paperwork, repairs. Repairs include, not limited to transmission replaced, heater/cooler system leak, lighting/dash replaced, tire pressure sensor replaced but currently broke, currently awaiting parts for timing chain replacement approx cost $5000 repair, leather cracking, windshield wiper rear not working, carpeting coming out in need of repair, front headlight leak and foggy in need of repair. This car is constantly in the shop, getting nowhere with General Motors. Have been stranded on side of highway with children when broke down. Dangerous now knowing what will happen next.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

Mar 102010

Equinox 6-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Equinox engine shut off. Consumer would like to be reimbursed for repairs. An internal fault code was found with the ECM.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 072008

2008 Chevy Equinox - purchased May 2008. Nine (9) of the last eleven (11) months, the car has been in the shop for various warning lights; 'service battery charging system┐, 'service tire pressure monitoring system", & "service stabilitrak"on several occasions each. Each time, I was told that a module relay was replaced. They also eventually gave us a new battery and changed the starter. Now, the check engine light is lit up, and the "service stabilitrak" light is coming back on. The rear wiper will make a single sweep even when in the off position and the radio will start searching for a station even with a strong signal from an area station. If I have the cruise control on, the cd's will skip songs or restart itself. Most times, I am told that the issue needs to be happening when I bring it in. Unfortunately, it usually happens when on the highway or after hours. Therefore, nothing is done to correct the constant problems. I really feel like I purchased a lemon and even gave my dealer a copy of the Texas lemon law, I do not feel comfortable taking even short length road trips for fear my car will fail to run properly. I feel as though I am stuck paying for a "lemon" car for four more years.

- Andrews, TX, USA

Nov 142008

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the instrument control panel gauges were poorly illuminated. As a result, he is unable to properly read the warning indicators and other messages on the instrument cluster. Sporadically, the cluster will have spontaneous surges of bright light. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that these were normal characteristics of the vehicle. The failure has not been remedied. The failure mileage was 300 and current mileage was 9,000.

- Woodville, TX, USA

Jun 232008

While driving on the interstate, speedometer stuck on 35 mph, gas gage said I had 1 1/4 tank of gas, and it said my car was overheating. When we came to a complete stop it stayed the same. After being parked for about 2 hours, everything went back to normal except for the gas gage. I took it to the dealer and they would not fix it because it wasn't doing it anymore. We bought this as our first all new car because we were tire of problems inherited with used cars. Alot a good that did, we had it 3 months before problems started.

- Riverview, MI, USA

Mar 012008

I have been driving since 1963 and this car has absolutely the worst problem with static electricity that I have ever seen. I thought at first it was just me, but at a company meeting (it is a company car) I discovered that everyone I spoke to that has an Equinox has the same problem. Even if the car isn't running and you have already been shocked, if you move around slightly in the seat you will get another shock the next time you touch something metal. The shock is sometimes so severe that at first I thought the battery had a short to ground.

- Martinez, CA, USA