2008 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Mar 012016

The speedometer to my vehicle is not working. Regardless if the car is on or off, the needle is always stuck on 120 mph. I have also started to have a problem with the back doors in which the locks are not working with the remote. If I try to unlock, the back doors remain locked. When I do use the remote to lock the vehicle, the back doors will unlock. I have also had problems with the headlights. The seals must not be that great because there is a lot of moisture in them to where now I will have to replace them. My back lights constantly go out as well and at least once a year, I have to replace the bulbs.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Oct 092015

Twice now, my 2008 Chevy Equinox has continued to accelerate after I stop pushing the gas. Both times, I have been merging with highway traffic, so I am pushing the gas pretty hard to get up to the speed of traffic. This last time, I spent about five seconds trying to brake, feeling the accelerator still pushing the car forward. I didn't want to destroy my brakes, especially since by then I was going downhill, so I tried a quick tap of the accelerator and that let it up to where I had control of the vehicle again. There was nothing in the way holding the pedal down, (not the floor mat or anything like that) so my assumption is there is some sort of speed controlling software for the car that is malfunctioning.

- No Thanks, OR, USA

Aug 072015

When driving on the highway, my vehicle is hesitant to increase speed, which could almost cause traffic incidents. I am experiencing jerking and hesitation as the speed changes or the gears change. The highway has a speed limit of 60-65. It makes it difficult to drive during the flow of traffic as the car is jerking like it will cut off. I took my vehicle to have a diagnostic test and the test stated that there is a misfire in the sparkplugs. I've had a full tune-up and the sparks plugs changed but I am still having the same problem. Also, the ABS and traction control light will not go off. My breaks has been repaired and I am afraid of driving this vehicle for safety reason.

- Houston , TX, USA

Dec 112014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal became stuck intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that accelerator sensor and throttle body sensor had failed and would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Feb 152013

Equinox 6-cyl

I am having acceleration hesitation issues during traffic which causes a transmission to misfire and stall out during traffic. I am currently fighting with Chevy dealership in turnersville NJ to fix this issues since Chevy Equinox 2008 has over 39 recalls.

- Glassboro, NJ, USA

Aug 262010

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 70 mph when the cruise control was engaged, the contact tried to deactivate the cruise control and it failed to respond. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle by applying the brakes. The contact stated that the vehicle speed increased to 85 mph. The caller had to place the vehicle in neutral before the vehicle could be slowed. The contact was not sure if the brakes responded or if the vehicle was stopped by the brakes. The dealer inspected the vehicle and stated that there were no failures. The vehicle is not being driven at this time. The failure and current mileages were 17449.

- Mason, MI, USA