2008 Chevrolet Equinox seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Feb 012011

Equinox

Passenger side airbag seat sensor does not work when someone that weighs 130lbs is sitting in the passenger seat. GM will not acknowledge that there is a problem with the airbag sensor on this vehicle. The Chevy dealership said that* would have to pay to have the problem fixed because it's out of warranty. This is the same exact problem that the 2007 Equinox's had, which were recalled. It would seem to me that GM should have a recall on this vehicle since it is obviously a factory defect and could cause serious injury or death to someone if I were to get into an accident. This problem clearly violates FMVSS standard number 208!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 102001

Equinox

I purchased my car in Dec. 2007 and have had electrical issues since Jan. 2008. At first it was simple things like replacing the radio in Apr. 2008 (under warranty), faulty wiper switch in Sept. 2009 (under warranty). Then in Oct. 2010 I had to pay $175.54 to replace a faulty spark plug and wire. But February 2011 has been the worst! on 2/10/11 I was driving down a mountain in bad weather on my way to work when my entire dashboard lit up, stabilitrack disabled, ABS, traction control turned off, check engine light; I couldn't drive faster than 20 mph without my car sliding all over the place. I was terrified. The dealership said the vacuum line wasn't plugged back in during my last oil change and that's what was causing it. I drove home and the same thing happened all the lights lit up again. Back to the dealership 2/16/2011. Dirty sensor, they cleaned it. I picked up my car and all the lights were on again so they replaced the sensor costing me $174.54. Eight days later my car is back in the shop. The check engine light came on, stabilitrack light came on and my power steering failed. The dealership says its electrical and I most likely wont have to pay for it but I don't feel safe driving my car at all anymore. I have read numerous complaints online with the exact same issues and some are worse than mine. GM needs to take responsibility and recall this vehicle. And for years my passenger side airbag hasn't worked properly. I'm 112lbs and it doesn't turn on when I'm sitting in the passenger seat. This can't be safe!

- Richford, VT, USA

Aug 072009

Equinox

2008 Chevrolet Equinox air bag light indicates off when a 107# lady is setting in seat. Often you can turn off engine and restart engine and light will function correctly. Have had to dealer 4 times and they say that it can't be fixed. This could be a real problem if I were to have an accident. This has been an on going problem since I purchased the vehicle.

- Naples, FL, USA