2008 Chevrolet Equinox seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Mar 202016

My passenger side air bag light will not go off. It doesn't matter if you anyone is sitting in the seat or not.

- Benton, AR, USA

Aug 012016

Airbag light has been on since 102,000 miles. Won't go off took it in for diagnosis and was told need a new pps module. It wasn't covered under my extended warranty. So didn't get it fix would have cost $900. Seen all kinds of problems with this make and model with same problem. And that 2007 were recalled but not 2008. And considering the recall was made in 2008 don't you think they should have included 2008 models as well?? hoping they will still issue a recall soon so we can get it fixed!!! to me this is a safety issue and should be a proirity and fixed!!!

- Charleston, WV, USA

Mar 022016

I had to have my senors replaced in mine and wonder why mine was never recalled. Cost me $1,000. I see here the same issued and it has a recall. Report receipt date: Jul 05, 2016 NHTSA campaign number: 16V507000 component(s): Air bags, electrical system potential number of units affected: 289,254 all products associated with this recall close vehicle makemodelmodel year(s) chevroletimpala2009-2010

- Kettering, OH, USA

Jun 012016

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. While operating the vehicle, the air bag sensor light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag system module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Hawley, PA, USA

Jan 012013

Passenger airbag sensor is malfunctioning. For years the airbag light has been consistently displayed, or goes off and on depending on whether or not there is a passenger, and is a safety concern. Occupants have no security of knowing whether or not the airbag will deploy if involved in an accident.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Mar 172016

I have a light on saying something is wrong with my airbag.also a tapping in my engine

- Muskegon, MI, USA

May 272016

Service passenger airbag light on for last year all the time

- Washington, MI, USA

May 012014

Passenger airbag sensor is malfunctioning. Airbag light goes off and on and is a safety concern. Chevrolet, although thousands of people report this refuses to fix. Cost to fix at dealer is around $1000. This is clearly a defective part that is a safety issue. Chevrolet should fix this

- Lancaster, MA, USA

Apr 012016

Passenger air bag constantly coming on saying it is not working. All others recalled by 2008. Now service traction control and service stabilitrak sensor on. I've read about both of these issues online here so why no recalls when it's something that's reacurring for others.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Feb 232011

2008 Chevy Equinox passenger presence sensor system is defective. It was recalled on the 2007's but not the 2008's even though the exact same issue persists. There are thousands of complaints about this issue but GM will not recall it. This is a critical safety issue as the airbag will never deploy as the sensor and/or pressure mat is defective. The "service airbag" light is always on. This is about a $1,000 charge at a dealer that is due to an electrical defect. They admitted on the 2007's and should be forced to fix the 2008's also. Light has been on for 40,000 miles waiting for the recall.

- Boonville, IN, USA

Jan 012009

Traction control light is on, always. Air bag is off always. This car is one piece of trash.

- Belmont, MI, USA

Jan 292016

Service air bag, sometimes passenger came on, sometimes didn't, now failed inspection because of it. Auto door locks sometimes work, sometimes do not

- West Boylston, MA, USA

Apr 022015

Airbag lights coming on and off passenger air bag works sometimes on and off electrical with the lights brake light comes on and off been having problems with the air bags a lot and the electrical system.

- Leesville, LA, USA

Dec 312015

Passenger side airbag sensor doesn't go on or goes on and then turns off while in car driving or stationary. Moving around on seat makes it switch back and forth. Looks like this is the same issue from the 2007 recall, but not extended to 2008. Haven't taken to dealership yet, but seems to be a common problem. Was sold to me last month from a used car dealer.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Oct 242015

I have purchased a Chevy Equinox 2008 and the message center for the past 3 weeks displayed service air bag. There seems to be a electrical issue I can hear static or something coming from the driver side door every time I open and close it. Major safety issue. I only have a 30 day warranty. I checked this car on auto check and the mileage was even wrong, when inspected last the miles were 118,000 when I got it it had 115,769 did they roll it back. What sites are accurate? I checked autocheck VIN pro the past couple years they have been complaining same issues air bag sensor etc Chevy sucks!

- Savannah, GA, USA

Oct 172015

Airbag light coming on intermittently. The system will not arm due to the front passenger seat sensor, the system will sometimes work if a passenger is in the seat or may suddenly stop working when the passenger moves in the seat. This is a common problem with the previous model year and it was recalled, why not the 2008 model? very poor reliability of a safety system.

- Wolcott, CT, USA

Jun 302014

Beginning last year the passenger airbag indicator began to not work properly. I had the service codes checked and there was no code for the repeated warning light to service air bag. Now the problem has become worse. When passengers of any weight are in the seat the indicator and service lights will come on randomly. Most time my family is not protected by the airbag due to this issue. It appears the same issue happend to the previous model year and a recall was done. Not for this model. This needs to be investigated and a solution created by chevorlet.

- Astoria , OR, USA

Jan 022015

The passenger airbag sensor goes on and off intermittently regardless of whether or not there is a passenger in the seat. The passenger airbag is off the majority of the time regardless of whether or not there is a passenger in the seat and the weight of the passenger does not matter. The service air bag light also flashes intermittently.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Aug 072015

Passenger air bag does not work when someone is in front passenger seat. Drivers window & lock stopped working(has been repaired). Service traction control & service stabilitrak lights are on. Egr valve code, torque converter code, evap system code, and ABS code. There is also a squeeking noise from the front driver side wheel. I take very good care of my car & has less than 77K miles. Also like others have complained I too get hurt on the back of my leg when getting out of the passenger seat.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

May 122014

The passenger seat airbag does not come on when anybody is sitting in the seat regardless of the weight. The car was taken to milton ruben Chevrolet in augusta, ga. For an estimate of repair. The estimate to replace the seat mat sensor was $980. My wife and I do not have that kind of money to spend to have it repaired. I have contacted Chevrolet about the problem. The 2007 Chevrolet Equinox had a recall for the same issue and my question was "why was the 2008 Equinox's not recalled for the same issue". Chevrolet stated that the government has not forced them to recall the 2008 Equinox's. I wish that I had gotten the man's name. I also filed a complaint with the better business bureau and the BBB was not able to help my wife and I. I also stated to the BBB that if someone gets hurt in a wreck due to the faulty passenger airbag, I would be looking to them for answers. The only help that milton ruben Chevrolet would give my wife and I was to give us a discount on a new Chevrolet. We cannot afford to buy a new car at this time.

- Grovetown, GA, USA