2009 Chevrolet Equinox drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Equinox:

2009 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Oct 082015

My 2009 Chevy Equinox is slowing down when I reach 4 rpms and will not speed back up until I go back down to 3 rpms no matter how fast or slow I an going once it reaches 4 rpms it slows down. When I shut the car off something is still running under the hold because I can hear it. It was 10 minutes before it finally shut off completely.

- Atlantic City, NJ, USA

Sep 252014

On September 25, 2014, I was headed home from work traveling 45 miles per hour when the message stabilitraking off appeared on the dashboard. It was a clear and sunny day. As I continued to drive, my vehicle began to loose power and proceeded to slow down as I was in route. I immediately pulled to the side of the road and dashboard message was flashing stabilitraking off, service traction control, service stabilitraking, engine power is reduced then the engine shutdown and would not turnover. It would not make a sound. I called onstar service for towing. They did a diagnostic check at my request and the following codes were given: P0502, P0513, P0606 and P0700. After 45 minutes of waiting beside the road, I attempted to start the vehicle again and it cranked. However, still flashing the same messages above; it would not pick speed. The engine light never went off. I was only able to travel about 25 miles per hour and made it home safely. I had to have a towing company tow it from my yard to the dealer. I picked it up two days later from the dealer. They were unable to duplicate the problems, could find nothing wrong, cleared all codes and I picked up my vehicles and went home with no answers.

- Covington, GA, USA

Aug 112011

On going issue with traction control/stabilitrak system. Intermittently a warning will come up on dash stating... traction control off - service stabilitrak. Most times, once you shut the engine off and then start it back up the warning will go away. Recently the warning has remained on dash and neither the traction control or anti-lock brakes have functioned. Two months ago the egr valve was replaced. Over a year ago the wiring harness to the egr valve was replaced. Now the stupid thing is acting up again and headed to the shop for about the twelfth time for this one issue. This has got to be one of the unsafest and scary vehicles I have ever driven. Never know when your anti-lock brakes and traction control will stop working or if your going to loose engine power at a critical time when driving.

- Stockwell, IN, USA

Jan 152014

I was driving at a speed of 40 mph when I slowed to make a right turn. The stabilitrak notification stated that it was "off trak" and to service "traction control" and that "engine speed is reduced". I could drive no faster than 5 mph. I pulled over and turned my car off for a few minutes. When I started it back up the speed was normal again but the engine light remained lit and solid. This is the second time in 2 years that this problem has occurred. I took it to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle brand new concerning the first incident about 18 months after purchase. I was told that I had a bad throttle body. The part was supposedly replaced but I was not given the bad part so I am not sure that the work was actually done since there was a debate about who was going to pay for the service. Now, the same problem is happening again.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 222012

Equinox 6-cyl

I bought this Equinox in Texas used with 24,071 miles on it. Drove it back to Ohio with no problems what's so ever. Then with 43,396 miles, the ignition wires started to fail. Ironically I received a notice from GM that they would pay for this repair had I had it done at a shop.being a GM and ups mechanic, no one touches my vehicles or family's but me! Napa had the wires[$22} an I installed them in less than 20mins.around 52000 miles I noticed a wheel bearing sound or flat spot in tire sound from left side. I'm thing GM should have solved this issue by now, so I was thinking new tires after vacation. When we came home from myrtle beach the sound intensified to where I jacked up the front on to jack stands, set park brake, started engine an put it in gear. I put my stethoscope on front bearing an found the left frt making all kinds of noise by this time.I called around an found a timken replacement at autozone for 259.99-3yr.warranty an at same time replaced the frt pads an resurfaced the rotors. So with all said, left frt bearing an pads $302.79. The bearing replacement makes the car ride an handle like new again. My wife drives this car 80+ miles a day to an from work, so it has to be safe an reliable an grand kids all over the place on weekends.funny that I got no vibrating feeling in steering wheel like on the older GM's that I had with same problem.

- Brunswick, OH, USA