2009 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Equinox:

2009 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Feb 082016

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 50 mph and attempting to roll the window down, the switch would not work. The contact made several unsuccessful attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was checked again and the contact was informed that if there were any issues with the wiring, the contact would be liable for the repairs. When the drivers side door was opened, the contact noticed that the wiring harness fractured and the wires were brittle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,351.

- Morrisdale, PA, USA

Sep 032014

Having problems with my driver side door electric window and door locks not functioning properly or not at all. I have someknowledge of electrical systems so I started troubleshooting the problem. After 5 minutes I found the source of the problem to be completely broken wires that are part of the wiring harness right before it goes through the driver side door and protected by a rubber boot/sleeve. Almost all wires that are part of the wiring harness at this location were either broken as I mentioned or the insulation was so bridle and cracked that the copper wire strands were exposed. This is in a tight spot and would be hard to splice. I took a picture to support what I am writing and I've attached it. I believe this is an electrical fire hazard if the exposed wires ever come in contact with chassis ground.

- Acme, MI, USA

Aug 202015

I was recently in a vehicle accident. My vehicle shut off as I was driving and in route of a traffic light. As a result of my vehicle shutting off, I had no brakes and was therefore unable to prevent my vehicle from proceeding through a red light. I then hit a tow truck and was T boned. My vehicle was totaled as a result and myself and my 2 children were transported to our local emergency room due to injuries. Previous months I've had a issue with the vehicle shutting off while driving. All the gauges went down and the vehicles' engine was appeared to be shut off. I also have had the vehicles engine remain running after turning the vehicle off and removing the keys from my ignition. I would try turning it on and off several times to get the engine to eventually shut off and would have several failed attempts.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Jun 052015

Airbag warning light on - took to mechanic yesterday and they found the following "B0074 & B0081 set. Diagnosed and found passenger presence module internally failed". they told me it's a 800+ repair. Called dealer priority cheverolet in chesapeake Virginia and they said to check connections below seat as they sometimes come loose. As an engineer I find it hard to believe that such a vital life saving device would have such an easy single point failure to be so easy to come loose as by simple moving the seat. When you observe the switch module below the seat it is just there dangling! this needs to get rolled up as a recall.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 152015

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, there was an error code associated with the onstar system. Onstar ran a diagnostic and discovered that the battery underneath the driver seat that was linked to the onstar system and the air bag system failed. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,500.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Mar 202015

Equinox 6-cyl

On Thursday 3/19/2015 as was driving to work I noticed that on the dashboard that the stabilitraking off, service traction controlled and service stabilitraking and engine power is reduced. On my way home there was no message on the dash, but the next day 3/20/2015 on my way to work that same message came on and it stayed on, so I took it to a garage and they tried to diagnose what was wrong and they could not fin out what it was and they told me to take it to the dealer.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 142015

Equinox 4-cyl

Our vehicle's radio began to not shut off after the driver side door was opened, and the keys were out of the ignition. We brought it to the dealership and was convinced that it was either the door switch or the radio. Having a major guard protection plan, the radio wasn't to be covered and the door switch would. I chose not to have the problem fixed thinking that we'd continue to shut the radio off. It wasn't until the driver side power window stopped working and I replaced the motor (to no avail) and did some research online did I find that similar owners had the same symptoms. I eventually researched and found that the electrical pathway from the car body to the door caused the wires inside to stretch, crack, and break. The 2 wires that were broken were the door sensor wire and the power window wire. Taking it back to parkway Chevrolet to have them research this and diagnose, their remedy was to have the wires re-saulder. I would like for the wiring harness be replaced. Looks and seems like there's a major electrical issue with this vehicle. There should be a recall for the malfunction.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Nov 282014

Window driver side working intermittently, pressed switch to lower window heard a pop and drivers side headlight was out window did not go down window still will not go down and the driver side power mirror will not function as well drivers side headlight has been replaced 3 times with in 5 weeks when you press the window down button or open the door the head light will blow and the passenger side window is working intermittently as well you have to open the door to put it up if it is in the down position.

- Murphysboro, IL, USA

Nov 212013

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Equinox. After parking and attempting to remove the key from the ignition switch, a clicking sound emitted from the vehicle. The failure occurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Marion, OH, USA

Aug 162010

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated intermittently was unable to pull the key out of the ignition. The contact mentioned intermittently the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Marion, OH, USA

Apr 202014

Equinox 6-cyl

Driver side door and driver side window stopped operating at the same time. Mechanic advised the wiring harness inside the door had brittle wires and the door harness needed to be replaced. Mechanic showed me the part; two broken wires and four other badly frayed.

- Akron, OH, USA

Mar 052013

Equinox 6-cyl

Stability traction control light came on with other warning lights (can't remember specifically what they said) as I was driving 40 mph. Car slowed down to about 20 and would not go any further. Fortunately I was able to get it to the dealership and it was repaired. Since then, I've had nothing but troubles. The warning light for the same will come on periodically but only as I start the car.. maybe 1X every 3 months without any other problems. The electrical in the car is crap. My automatic driver side window will not function at all. The rear wiper no longer works. Sound on the driver side no longer works. Electric door lock no longer works on driver side I have to manually lock that door. I've had my car broken into because it appeared unlocked. Fortunately the alarm system still worked. Every once in a while there is a strong smell of burning electric. The smell is obvious on the inside of the vehicle as well as under the hood. I'm worried the car will catch on fire and my door locks will not function and someone will be killed.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Equinox 6-cyl

The driver side power window stopped functioning. Was unable to open the window with the control. It was discovered that if the door was opened the control functioned. I took this vehicle to the blaise alexander dealership in muncy, pa for repairs. I was told that the wire that controlled this function was "crimped" and needed to be repaired. I was also told that the other wires (6 in all) were going to fail eventually. After searching the web for like problems I determined that this is not an isolated incident. My concerns are if this wiring fails and the window doesn't open or the power door lock doesn't function in case of an accident the drivers ability to escape the vehicle will be compromised. If the should occur and there is a fire or other issue it could result in injury or more.

- Williamsport, PA, USA

May 102011

Equinox 6-cyl

We have had a problem with the key getting stuck in the ignition for some time now. Some times it takes several minutes of working with it before it will come out. I have taken it back to superior Chevrolet of siloam springs two times and have spent a total of $720.72 and it's still not fixed. They told me they had something else to try but it would cost an additional $200 to $300 dollars and it still might not be fix. After charging me this much for what should be a simple fix they should make sure it repaired on their own time.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA

Jan 052013

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the tire pressure monitoring light illuminated continuously while the vehicle was on. The contact also stated that while driving 25 mph, acceleration power reduced dramatically and the vehicle decelerated to 3 mph. The contact also stated that both headlights failed and needed to be replaced every 3 months and the brake lights had failed and needed to be replaced. In addition, the windshield wipers failed to operate when activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the throttle body had failed and needed to be replaced. No other repairs were completed. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 300.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 012011

Dic (driver information center) display brightness inadequate for daylight/sunlight visibility. No listed means to alter/brighten.

- Lexington, KY, USA