2009 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Equinox:

2009 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Aug 202015

Equinox

I was recently in a vehicle accident. My vehicle shut off as I was driving and in route of a traffic light. As a result of my vehicle shutting off, I had no brakes and was therefore unable to prevent my vehicle from proceeding through a red light. I then hit a tow truck and was T boned. My vehicle was totaled as a result and myself and my 2 children were transported to our local emergency room due to injuries. Previous months I've had a issue with the vehicle shutting off while driving. All the gauges went down and the vehicles' engine was appeared to be shut off. I also have had the vehicles engine remain running after turning the vehicle off and removing the keys from my ignition. I would try turning it on and off several times to get the engine to eventually shut off and would have several failed attempts.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Oct 162014

Equinox

On October 16, 2014, I went to the dealer to pickup my vehicle still with no answers to why the dashboard message is reading: Stabilitraking off, service traction control, service stabilitraking and engine power is reduced. Then the engine shuts down. As I was pulling off the dealership lot, the engine light starting flashing rapidly, vehicle began to loose power, it was backfiring and smelled of a foul odor. The sales manager came outside to drive the vehicle and the vehicle continued to loose engine power. By the time he came back inside to speak with us, he stated that he could no longer turn the vehicle on. He stated that it would not turnover at all. I am now awaiting the findings and grateful to god that problem happened again on the dealer's lot and not in rush hour traffic.

Oct 142014

Equinox

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014, I was leaving work headed to my physical therapy appointment. It was a rainy day. While in route, a message appeared on the dashboard: Stabilitraking off. I proceeded to turn right and get into the left turning lane heading to my appointment. Once, I got into the turning lane the dashboard message was flashing: Stabilitraking off, service traction control, service stabilitraking and engine power is reduced. The vehicle shuts down. I attempted start the vehicle and it moved a few inches then shutdown. About a few minutes later, I attempted a second time to turn it on. Once again, it moved about a few more inches and shutdown. When I attempted a third time, the vehicle would not turn over. I called onstar for assistance, they contacted 911 because I was a dangerous intersection. They also contacted Chevrolet roadside assistance for towing. The police arrived and pushed my vehicle off to the side of the road to safety until the towing company arrived. The vehicle still would not start. About 25 to 30 minutes later my husband arrived and started the vehicle with not problem, but the same messages appeared. On Thursday, October 15, 2014, dealer contacted me and stated that my vehicle was ready for pickup and could not duplicate the problem nor read the GM codes. They cleared all codes and recommended that I take it to a Chevrolet dealer for a diagnostic.

Sep 252014

Equinox

On September 25, 2014, I was headed home from work traveling 45 miles per hour when the message stabilitraking off appeared on the dashboard. It was a clear and sunny day. As I continued to drive, my vehicle began to loose power and proceeded to slow down as I was in route. I immediately pulled to the side of the road and dashboard message was flashing stabilitraking off, service traction control, service stabilitraking, engine power is reduced then the engine shutdown and would not turnover. It would not make a sound. I called onstar service for towing. They did a diagnostic check at my request and the following codes were given: P0502, P0513, P0606 and P0700. After 45 minutes of waiting beside the road, I attempted to start the vehicle again and it cranked. However, still flashing the same messages above; it would not pick speed. The engine light never went off. I was only able to travel about 25 miles per hour and made it home safely. I had to have a towing company tow it from my yard to the dealer. I picked it up two days later from the dealer. They were unable to duplicate the problems, could find nothing wrong, cleared all codes and I picked up my vehicles and went home with no answers.

Aug 162010

Equinox

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated intermittently was unable to pull the key out of the ignition. The contact mentioned intermittently the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Marion, OH, USA

Mar 052014

Equinox 6-cyl

Upon making a left turn from highway into parking lot, approximate speed 15-20mph, the stabilitrak illuminated, then the message power has been reduced, which was what was happening and the check engine light illuminated. Got vehicle parked and shut engine off. Let vehicle rest for 30 minutes. Started vehicle, after normal dashboard sequence, check engine light remained on, stabilitrak light came on briefly. Was able to drive vehicle with some reduced handling, engine light remained on. After vehicle sat for 2 days, went back out to take to dealer, however, check engine light went off, no stabilitrak message lit up. Vehicle has performed well for past 2 weeks, with some minor hesitations.

- Marysville, WA, USA

Mar 132014

Equinox 6-cyl

Car hesitated, slowed down, then lost power. The warning lights were stabilitrack off, traction control off, reduced engine power. Car is now with the dealership & was told that the throttle body will have to be ordered as this is a rare occurrence but when I looked on internet, it seems this is a problem that has been reported many times. Incident was scary due to traveling on highway at 60 mph and for no reason car just begins to lose power. So now I am waiting on throttle body to be replaced. This is not a cheap fix for the vehicle. Saw on internet that there is a recall for this specific problem but when I talked with dealership they state that this GM recall is only for V8 engines not for the V6 Equinox. GM knows there is a problem, they need to step up to the plate & cover the Equinox also.

- Grifton, NC, USA

Mar 012012

Equinox 6-cyl

Car hesitated, slowed down, lost power. Warning lights included stabilitrak off, traction control off, and reduced engine power. Repair was to clean throttle body. Jan of 2014, (83,000 miles) same problem occurred, and throttle body cleaned at dealer after diagnostics. March 1, 2014 (85000 miles) while on interstate 80 same warnings came on but I lost all engine power although the car was in gear and the car rpms would go up with pressing the gas petal, and semi almost hit me from behind. Car was brought to shoulder, stopped turned off and reset with restarting the engine.. I left the interstate and made a left turn, the car sputtered and hesitated, and oncoming traffic almost hit me. Reduced engine power warning then came on along with stabiltrak and traction control off messages. On the way to the dealer it occurred several times. And I had to restart the car after turning it off. The dealer stated that the throttle body had to be replaced. They had a 1 month wait time for the part? when I brought the car in January, the cars ahead and behind me had the same problem. A lady at the service counter also had the same problem. It is not a coincidence that 4 of us at the same time had that problem.

- Mokena, IL, USA

Jan 222014

Equinox

The throttle body went bad in my car for the 2nd time in 3 years. I had the throttle body replaced in January of 2011, after only owning the car a month. It now needs replaced again today in January of 2014. I press the gas peddle and car doesn't go anywhere, then all of the sudden it will take off and runs as if the engine is being pushed and pulled. It also stalled out on me once while driving it. This is a safety hazard when sitting in the middle of an intersection to make a left turn and the car will not go forward.

- East Prospect, PA, USA

Jan 152014

Equinox

I was driving at a speed of 40 mph when I slowed to make a right turn. The stabilitrak notification stated that it was "off trak" and to service "traction control" and that "engine speed is reduced". I could drive no faster than 5 mph. I pulled over and turned my car off for a few minutes. When I started it back up the speed was normal again but the engine light remained lit and solid. This is the second time in 2 years that this problem has occurred. I took it to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle brand new concerning the first incident about 18 months after purchase. I was told that I had a bad throttle body. The part was supposedly replaced but I was not given the bad part so I am not sure that the work was actually done since there was a debate about who was going to pay for the service. Now, the same problem is happening again.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 152013

Equinox

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that abnormal fumes were entering the vehicle cabin, which was causing the driver and any passenger to become drowsy. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection and repair where the egr valve was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Newark , NJ, USA