2.5

2010 Chevrolet Equinox drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox:

2010 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 102016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the transmission stalled at 40 mph while driving on the highway. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic where they diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 062017

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the transmission failed while driving 25 mph. The vehicle was unable to accelerate. The dealer could not diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Jan 052017

Equinox

I experienced sudden deceleration while driving on the interstate in winter conditions. Many near accidents occurred while I struggled to maintain control and exit the interstate as soon as possible. Loud knocking from the engine and a strong gas smell immediately followed. The engine stalled several times when I came to a complete stop, such as intersections as I went straight to a nearby Chevrolet dealer. I was informed the rear main seal blew out causing a sudden loss of oil pressure. They also said this happened due to high positive pressure in the crankcase due to a frozen or blocked PCV valve. GM is aware of the issue as stated in the General Motors service bulletin 14882. However, GM says my VIN does not apply in this case. Due to the severity of the issue, I felt it was important to let someone know so other people with similar vehicles could be notified of the extreme hazard.

- Clive, IA, USA

Jan 022017

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle was able to be in motion without the key in the ignition. Also, when the gear was shifted into park, it was not fully in gear so the contact constantly had to check. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 16V502000 (electrical system, power train). In addition, water entered various areas of the vehicle and the electronic stability traction control warning indicator randomly illuminated. The vehicle also rolled backward and forward without warning and the hatch came down unexpectedly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the multiple failures. The failure mileage was not available.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 032013

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 55 mph, the oil warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed. The contact was informed that the vehicle was low on oil. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer a second time where it was diagnosed that the piston needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. While driving approximately 50 mph, there was a noise coming from the engine and the engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Lawrenceburg, KY, USA

Dec 252016

Equinox

We were just getting to the end of highway entry ramp and we could not gain speed and the engine revved up very high beofre it started slowing down. Put the car in manual mode but could not shift into 3rd gear. We were forced into entering the highway at roughly 30mph.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Dec 122016

Equinox

While driving on city streets the car would not accelerate even though the rpms where climbing. It finally coasted the remaining 2 blocks home where all gears except 2nd were completely gone. The vehicle will have to be towed to the dealership for a $4500 bill to replace the transmission. This vehicle has already had the motor, fuel injection system, and timing chain replaced due to the excessive oil consumption recall. Due to the many complaints I have seen logged as well as the open recall on other 2010 equinoxes and traverses I would think there would be an open recall on my VIN but there isn't. I wish I'd never bought this car and I will not be a repeat GM customer.

- Derby, KS, USA

Dec 032016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 60 mph with the accelerator pedal depressed, the contact heard an abnormally loud sound cominf from the hood of the vehicle. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fluid in the transmission had burned out and metal shards were discovered in the transmission, which needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- League City, TX, USA

Oct 312016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into third gear properly. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the 3-5 reverse clutch plate failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,431.

- Dover, NH, USA

Nov 072016

Equinox

Transmission went out after 46,000 miles. Gears slipping. Would not go into reverse. Defective 3-5-R wave plate possibly. Driving home from work.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 222016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle's speed began to decrease while the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 44,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 202016

Equinox 4-cyl

Was driving home from the grocery store around 35 mph and the transmission slipped, coasted a couple hundred feet, downshifted really hard and started marking noise. It then came to a stop and lost 1st gear. The car did not want to move in reverse. We were luckily able to get the car off the road before it completely locked up. After that, it wouldn't even go into neutral. The transmission locked up. The dealer called today and confirmed that it needs a new transmission.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Oct 142016

Equinox

Bought the car used and only put about 20K miles on it and transmission went out.

- Humnoke, AR, USA

Oct 102016

Equinox

Wasn't informed about the excessive oil consumption. Letter never made it to my house. Excessive oil consumption has caused the catalytic converter to fail prematurely. Chevy issued a special warranty but it disqualifies you if you have more 120K miles. Chevy has known about this issues since 2011 but intentionally waited to issue special bulletin because they wanted to disqualify as many people as possible.. the service rep told me since I didn't pay the previous repair (which were manufacturer defects) that I am basically responsible for the repairs. This car has had over 4 major repairs that were due to manufacturer defects but the rep is saying that since I'm the original owner they won't assist me. I told her the issue is with the car, it has nothing to do with the ownership which is why you're issuing all the special warranties. None of the major repairs that were done on this car are listed in the vehicle history report on carfax or on the GM owner site where it states that such reports will appear. I got the service report from the dealership when I saw the sales associate with it. I told the rep had the information about the excessive oil consumption been listed on my Chevy profile I would have had the issue fixed thus saving the catalytic converter. She still claimed it was sent. The catalytic converters need to be recalled without exception. Honda replaced my cracked my engine block no questions asked! they have honored ever warranty I've ever had and fixed every manufacturer defect without drama. I cannot say that about Chevy. They have caused me nothing but stress over issues they created and have gotten away with it and today I just learned that my car now has a fuel pump recall.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Sep 062016

Equinox

The check engine light came on while driving with code P0017 crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation (bank 1 sensor B). The next day while driving two more codes came on including P0700 and P182E (I have on obd reader). At that moment the engine continued to run but the transmission appeared to go into a neutral condition. This occured while driving @ 30 mph. I was able to coast to the side of the street. At that point I could rev the engine but their was no forward drive to move the vehicle. After letting the car sit in an off condition for a couple of minutes, I was the able to restart the vehicle and drive home. I then brought the car to the dealer for further diagnostics as there are several components which could cause this error code. The dealer then concluded that the timing chain had apparently stretched and was causing the camshaft position sensor to trip. I was told that the repair was very extensive and of course costly as the motor has to be removed from the vehicle in order to replace the stretched timing chain. I started researching the error code online and came across a service bulletin (sb-10052863-6133) published in 2014 by General Motors detailing a newer timing chain kit that was released to address this stretching issue. Several General Motors models are included in the bulletin as they all utilize the same V6 3.0 liter engine as what is in my Equinox. My major gripe is that the consumer should have been made aware of the potential premature failure of the timing chain sooner, before the warranty period expired. General Motors had a similar issue with timing chain failures in their 4 cylinder 2.4 liter engines and an official recall was done for that engine. I feel this same condition is now started to affect the V6 3.0 liter as well.

- Malden, MA, USA

Aug 252016

Equinox

While ramping on to a busy highway in my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox (67,000 miles) accelerating toward 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly started decelerating and rpms climbed. This resulted in me being nearly rear-ended and I had to quickly guide the car to the shoulder of the road. The engine would only rev in gear and not move forward. I shifted the vehicle to park and turned off the engine. Upon restarting the vehicle it seemed as if it had function back. I proceeded a few miles further to a parking lot. At this point, the transmission was not functioning well enough to go further. This is when we called a towing service, and had it towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealership. Ultimately, we were told that a plate had gone out in the transmission and that this had also destroyed several other components in the transmission. The quote for these repairs was $4600. This happened around 67,000 miles on the vehicle and after reporting to the dealership numerous times early in ownership and over multiple visits that the vehicle was making an odd sound coming from the transmission on shifts. We reported these issues way before the 100,000 miles/5 year warranty expired. Instead of finding anything wrong with the transmission, the dealership told us that it could be an engine problem and told us to start coming in every 1000 miles for an oil consumption test. I feel that this was a delay tactic to make sure that Chevrolet would not have to cover warranty repair of the transmission. I feel that this should have been covered under warranty and that it is a severe safety issue, considering that prior models of the Chevrolet Equinox had the same problem with transmission plates and the chance for a deadly accident because of the loss of momentum in traffic with no warning.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Sep 022016

Equinox

I have 72615 miles on my car. I just had to have the transmission replaced. The transmission mechanic at aamco said it was because of wave plate failure. My car has a 6T45E transmission. The cost to have this replaced was $3,414.43 and in his professional opinion this should not have failed at this low mileage. This failure happened all of a sudden. I had never had any problems until the day it went out completely.

- Garland, TX, USA

Aug 292016

Equinox

While driving in a residential neighborhood, the car began to maintain an RPM level of 5,000 and would not go above 25 mph. Got the car home and took it to the dealer. The car was diagnosed with a failed 3 5 wave plate. When test driving the vehicle to diagnose the problem, the dealer informed me that the transmission failed completely. The wave plate had begun to deteriorate and metal particles were floating in the transmission fluid. The car had just under 40,000 miles on it but it is 6 years old so it is out of the warranty. Chevy offered minimal price assistance. This issue with the 3 5 wave plate was a known issue on 2008 and 2009 models and an extended warranty was issued by Chevy. The problem was supposed to be resolved for 2010 models, but here we are with the same issue. This is a major safety issue and needs to be corrected.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Aug 312016

Equinox

Wave plate the wave plate blew up in our transmission leaving us with a $5000 bill on a vehicle with only 76000 miles. The wave plate on 2010 Chevy Equinox's has been recalled by specific VIN numbers by GM but for whatever reason my VIN is not on the recall list. It should be and I shouldnt be paying a 5000$ bill. Our vehicle came to a complete stop in the middle of the highway with my 2 year old and 4 year old in the car. My husband and a kind gentleman had to push the vehicle out of the roadway.

- Gardner, MA, USA

Aug 292016

Equinox

We purchased this vehicle in Dec 2014 at 42,000 miles as a certified pre owned $15000 cash. The vehicle started experiencing engine trouble in July 2016 it we were in the process of of diagnostics for excess oil consumption and engine repair. After the care broke down on a major highway with my children in the backseat. Aug 2016 the car stalls again on the highway with my children in it. The transmission has failed. We havent even owned the vehicle for 2 years. It only has 76,000 miles on it. But GM says its past the 5 year warranty mark by 8 months so they wont help. I am not the only person having these issues with this make and model. There are stories all over the internet where people have stalled on highways from this issue! it needs to ge recalled. This is a death trap. We could have been seriously injured ow worse. Unfortunately thats what it takes now a days for a company to care.

- Gardner, MA, USA