2010 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox:

2010 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Sep 242012

Equinox 4-cyl

I have had many problems with this vehicle regarding electrical, audio, airbag lights coming on and now engine oil. The engine oil was just detected at 80,000 miles however I have complained that my car does not run right since the beginning. They claim that the engine is burning off the oil however I am very good at getting my oil changes around 3000 miles and where is the oil going" its not in my garage or on the engine? I have had my car completely go blank on the dash no indicator lights etc. I have filled a complaint with Chevy to no avail. I am very disappointed that now my engine needs to be replaced or maybe just he pistons? at 80,000 miles" this has been going on since I owned it from Sept 2009! I think Chevy needs to step up and make things right! disappointed. Just for the record I bought this car in California.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Apr 252014

Equinox 4-cyl

Bought vehicle used with about 30K miles on it, at first oil change was told oil was low, this continued over the next several changes, a few times it was found to be completely out of oil, no oil leak was found, at 39K miles balance shaft chain had to be replaced, at 55K miles my check engine light came on and my car almost cut off on me while I had my infant son with me, the cam shaft had to be replaced, 56K they replaced pistons, rings, fuel pump, and timing chain due to using excess oil, a few months later my air compressor had to be replaced and now my transmission is leaking. The car has a little over 70K miles on it. Also have been complaining of a rattling noise coming from the engine since I bought the car, I was told several times by the dealership that this was normal however I was told by someone at the Chevrolet home office that this was not normal, I also drove another Equinox while mine was in the shop being repaired and it did not make this noise. Dealership has be notified of all issues with the vehicle as well as the home office for GM.

- Burlington , NC, USA

Dec 192014

Equinox 4-cyl

While driving down the road lost all power reduced power and stability control light came on. Just checked oil on December 17 it was full and checked it on December 19 and it didn't have any oil in it and it is not leaking anywhere on the car.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Nov 012014

Equinox 4-cyl

While driving on the NJ turnpike southbound from NJ to va my 2010 Chevy Equinox suddenly stopped accelerating! after barely avoiding several collisions, the stabilitrac light came on, the service engine light came on and then the reduced engine power notification came on. The vehicle would not accelerate over 30mph, threatened to stall repeatedly and was vibrating violently. Luckily I was only about an hour into my trip (the temperature outside was below 30 degrees and I had my 4 year old and 3 year old in the car!) and was able to slowly drive the car home and have it towed the next day. I had to replace the throttle body and the intake and exhaust celenoid actuators at a total cost of $644.05

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

Oct 172012

Equinox 6-cyl

Smells like something is burning & service engine stays light is on, engine has low power or is idling rough with a whining noise from high pressure fuel pump. Model 2010 Equinox, has a couple other recalls that also tie into the constant electrical problems. Also I recently went to adjust the vent and the button disappeared into the dash. What's this. It's something new every week now. No know cause for the engine light, despite diag. Tests. My fuel mileage is also shortened although the vehicle is on a strict maint. Schedule.

- Cinnaminson, NJ, USA

Oct 102014

Equinox 6-cyl

Car battery constant drains, car wont start upon hot/cold weather...BCM might be the cause-body control module computer, car cuts off while driving, has stalled, nocking sound when ac/heater is on, burning smell.battery replaced and not the problem, alt also checked and is working good. Have to constantly charge the battery to charge the computer to get the car to start.

- Rosedale, NY, USA

Sep 192014

Equinox 4-cyl

My cars ch ed ck engine light has popped on and off since I git the car in July and the TPMS gauge has been on since the first week I got the vehicle. It was raining and my car began to start initiating thetraction control but my car started to skid and the check engine light came on. I drove for 15 minutes between 35-55 mph and I received an error message about power failure on the car. My car immediately shut down I didn't need an oil change left and I just replenished oil but when I checked it was empty. I put more oil in the car and scheduled an oil change. The technician checked my tires and did the oil change and the car appeared to work fine. 3 days letter I had the same issue. And instead of one tire none of my tires are being read on the car and when traction control is on it rides rough. 5oday alone my car shut off 7 times while I was stuck 9J a major highway. A mechanic in my building looked at my car and said that there is oil leaking onto the engine block as well.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Feb 032014

I purchased my car at the end of December 2013, a month later my wife noticed the car sounded louder than usual so I checked the oil and there was not a drop of oil in the engine. I quickly added oil and performed an oil change asap. I called up the dealership and they assured me an oil change is done before every purchase. I routinely check the oil and add about a quart a month. At the end of July 2014 I took my car to have the ac checked out and I asked the service center to look at the engine since it was losing about a quart a month. I get the car back a week later and they could not determine the problem. They performed an oil change and asked that I bring it back for the next oil change for an inspection. This was on 8/1/2014 and yesterday 10/2/2014 I checked the oil and once again there was not a drop of oil. It is currently at the dealership. The service tech called GM in July 2014 and found out there was a recall for equinoxes losing oil if they tow but that did not apply to my vehicle and I do not see that recall anymore.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 032014

Equinox 6-cyl

Purchased SUV in Feb. Love it and great SUV. Had oil changed it never alerts when oil is low, but must keep check cause computer and actual amount do not correspond. Eighty percent of the time the seat adjustment works. One day took person home only left front tire hit curb as turning around. Traffic was coming it had completely cut off, waited a minute restarted. Just knew I would get hit. As more miles, it loses more power, getting on interstate I have to measure traffic to ensure I can get on in order not to get hit. Love the vehicle, but afraid if keep more miles less power.

- Graham, NC, USA

Sep 092014

Equinox 4-cyl

I am losing a lot of oil within the 3000 miles before I change it. My car is losing power it stalls it runs very loudly and it knocks a little. I put at least 12 quarts of oil every 3000 miles and it's not leaking because I checked the top and the bottom of the motor and there is no sign of oil anywhere not even out of my tail pipe.

- Slaughter, LA, USA

Jun 072014

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While the vehicle was being serviced at the dealer, the mechanic noticed that fuel was cross-contaminated with engine oil. The mixture caused the engine to run continuously and roughly. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Waukegan , IL, USA

Jul 212014

When the vehicle starts in the morning for the first 15-20 seconds you could hear a load rattling noise then the noise goes away. I had change the oil from synthetic to regular 5W30 because when I drained the crank case the only thing I had left was 1.5 qt, im trying with the regular oil to see what it does.I hear that many Equinox owners have had the same problem with oil consumption. I would like to reported, maybe its a problem among these vehicles owners.

- Aguadilla, PR, USA

Jul 282014

Equinox 6-cyl

While at red light, I went to pull out and car just turned off. And had to put it in park and turn car off and tried to restart the car and it wouldn't start and had to do it again.

- Princeton, WV, USA

Jan 042011

Equinox 4-cyl

Purchased a 2010 Equinox, new with 23 miles, noticed right away that I had to put oil in several time when I filled up with gas. Took in for 3,00 mile check was told there was no problem. This has been continuous, I always carried oil with me and go oil changes every 1,500 to 2,000 mile. Car finally broke down this weekend and was towed to dealer from which I purchased. Some thing needs to be done about this, it no laughing matter to spend 25,000 to 30,000 on a car and it falls apart at 71,000 and I am not even through paying for it.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jul 062014

Equinox 6-cyl

I started the vehicle the stabilitrac and engine light came on. The car would not move forward more than a half mile per hour. Had to have it towed to dealer. I bought this vehicle 1 month ago pre owned from the dealer. It had gone thru the General Motors 117 point inspection test before I bought it... I only put on 1000 miles since I purchased it.

- Lincoln Park , NJ, USA

Jan 082013

After about a year of owning this vehicle, we have experienced several issues with engine related problems starting in 2011 to current recent issue on 30/2014. We have been to the dealer for several "repairs" and have continued to have additional problems. On several occasions the vehicle has stalled while driving, engine shifts hard/delayed while driving, excessive oil loss between oil changes. Oil is changed and added before every 3,000 miles or sooner in recent months due to low oil and engine making "knocking" sound. Took vehicle to dealer for recent noise and engine light. They are stating it needs engine work done for oil being "burned" in engine through the exhaust in excess of $1600. Listed several items that need repair in conjunction with this issue.

- Norwich, NY, USA

Jun 062012

Equinox 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that fuel was leaking into the oil pan. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician stated that the fuel pump and timing chain tensioner needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000. The current mileage was 89,000. Updated 06/10/14 updated 06/10/2014

- Bath, MI, USA

Jul 032013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that a sensor was faulty and the brake line was not detected. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Feb 212014

Was driving vehicle when all of a sudden entire dash lit up and car stalled. Messages included service stabilitrak, service ABS, engine light, and service traction control. I lost power, power brakes, and power steering and coasted vehicle to a stop. It took a couple of tries but finally got the car to turn over, engine light remained on but drove to dealer. Vehicle did not drive correctly when accelerated, it was slow and jerky. When I took the vehicle to the dealer they told me it would be covered under warranty, they plugged in their tech code reader and determined it was throttle body. I was given a concierge vehicle and informed it would take them the weekend to fix. When I picked the vehicle up they charged me saying that it would not be covered under the warranty and tried to make me pay for the rental and I have still not been reimbursed for the repairs that should have been covered under warranty or the rental car. The service agent at the dealership printed off where it clearly states that it should be covered. This is a dangerous problem and should be recalled.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Mar 082014

Since the purchase of my Chevy Equinox I have had engine trouble related to the oil system. For a period of time I was initially given the run around in regards to a solution. The engine noise made it clear to me that my car needed some type of repair. My persistence enabled me to finally have the problem solved. I cannot be more specific about that event, but keeping that incident in mind leads to the next. I later began to have problems with oil consumption (several months down the road). During periods in between oil changes I began to put more and more oil in my car. This didn't make since my travel was local and not much. ( I have been out of work since last June 2013). That time I decided or I will say insisted the dealer look further into the problem when it was three weeks after an oil change and it was down almost five quarts of oil. I got a lecher about the damage it would have caused. To the point of the problem with all this. I read other letters of complaints on the website in regard to other engine or oil related issues on the Chevy Equinox. It seems more than apparent that this should be looked into prior to accident, injury or death. Each problem or complaint also had a number of how many of each were recorded. I would hope that it wouldn't take for me to injure myself or be just another tragic death related to the big car industries. Trouble shooters get paid big money to prevent such travesties. I would then expect that these glitches would be worked out to the benefit of the small people paying big money for vehicles that help them make it on the journey to a bigger a better way of life. I hope someone sitting in his or her corporate office does more than just brush this aside and post it with the other letter of complaint.

- Hamden, CT, USA