2011 Chevrolet Equinox brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

2011 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Apr 062015

Equinox 4-cyl

Complete brake system failure. Brake light alarm came on followed by stability control system alarm. Failure in master cylinder and brake booster allowed brake fluid to drain from system. Car was diagnosed and repaired at a Chevrolet dealership. I needed to have both the master cylinder and booster replaced.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Aug 072012

Equinox 4-cyl

While driving this being with a malfunctioning tcmp I was coming up on a light at about 45 mph and the brakes failed and upon impact the seat belt did not lock but actually let me move right into the steering wheel thus causing serious damage to my sternum and also breaking 2 ribs and my head cracked my windshield and the vehicle was totaled out by the insurance company who of course did not pay anything near what I did go figure.

- Ps, CA, USA

May 302014

Equinox 4-cyl

Power steering control module burned out in car as well as electric brake control module.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 092014

I was double parked, with the gear in the parking position, talking to my cousin on a Friday night. We talked for about one minute. I was trying to unload my car to take some groceries in the house. My trunk would not open. I tried to unlock the doors from the inside (drivers side) twice but the trunk still would not open. Then I went around the passengers side with intentions on turning the car on & trying to unlock the doors that way, but as soon as I opened the door, the car began to roll backwards with my 12 month old son in it. The car was in park. I tried to switch gears (while still on the passengers side) but the gear was stuck. (all of this while running with the car) my cousin & I were holding on to the car as best as we could to try to slow it down to avoid the baby being injured or rolled completely away from us. Then I thought to just try to get the baby out while she held on to the car to slow down the speed. As I was trying to unstrap the baby's seatbelt, my car swiped another car, tearing off the mirror & creating swipe marks, continued to roll backwards, then I managed to free my baby. As soon as I got him out, the car hit a pole, which slowed down the speed, then a truck which stopped it. I suffer multiple bruises to my right leg and we both suffer muscle pain throughout our bodies.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 152014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the brakes failed to engage while attempting to park. The brake pedal became stuck to the floorboard and caused the driver to crash into a window. The driver was able to engage the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who performed a diagnostic but was unable to generate a failure code. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 10,000.

- Fairview , OK, USA

May 202013

Equinox with 4 cylinder engine has not worked properly since purchased in July 2011. Engine made loud noise each time started. Returned to dealer several times for problem with no results. In May 2013, engine stalled several times and engine light came on. Dealership replaced cam intake but will not guarantee that future problems may occur. Additionally, this vehicle currently has another issue that may be related to the brake system - whining noise. Dealer has not repaired yet. Will continue to return to dealership repair shop. This vehicle should be recalled.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Sep 202011

When trying to merge into traffic at a low speed I had to stop due to the car in front of me stopping. When I applied the brakes, the brakes started pulsing and I had no stopping abilities until I hit the car infront of me. Again the same situation occurred, I was merging into traffic at a low speed when the car infront of me slams their brakes and I follow my applying my brakes. Again the brakes pulsed and the car did not stop. The second time I had more than two car spaces between myself and the other car when the brakes were applied. The road conditions for both incidents were clear and no visible liquid on the road. Each time the brakes were applied when the vehicle was shifting through the gears.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Sep 092012

I was driving North bound in lane 3 traffic was stopped at red light. I went to applied the brake to slow down and stop nothing happen as I was getting real close to a stopped car my foot remained on brake pedal again nothing I made a split decision to try to drive between cars in lane 2 and 3 instead of rear ending the stopped vehicle. I sideswiped 3 cars and only then did I come to a stop. My vehicle sustained alot of damage compare to the other cars. When this 2011 Chevy Equinox is fixed I will not keep it due to this problem with the braking system. I would fear that it would happen again. It is an unsafe car in my opinion.

- Upper Chichester, PA, USA

Jul 192012

On 7/19/12 at 2:30 pm, I was driving South bound on California interstate I-15, lane S-2 at 60 mph. The traffic was flowing freely, one vehicle was to my rear in lane S-3. their was no road debris in any lanes. I heard a loud "pop" sound, next a loud "bang" sound under my car. I also saw the emergency brake light flash on an off on the instrument panel. I slowed down, moved to lane S-3, lightly stepped on the brake pedal and the brakes appeared to operate normally. There were no other information lights on or flashing on the instrument panel. The "check engine" light was not on. I drove the vehicle to my residence and parked in the driveway. I placed the transmission lever into park, shut the engine off and stepped on the emergency brake pedal. At this time the pedal went completly to the floor without the usual resistance when applying the emergency brake. I exited the car and saw what appeared to be a wire hanging loose in two peices. I had the car towed to the Chevrolet dealer, they inspected the vehdicle and said I hit something on the road and it cut the emergency brake cable, punched a hole in the floor and it was not warranty. My insurance company inspected the car, found no "witness marks", which would indicate a foreign object impacting any part of the car. If so, the insurance inspector said would indicate I hit something prior to the foreign object breaking the cable and damaging the floor. My insurance is coverinvg this but may choose to subrogate against Chevrolet. I contacted a friend I know at Chevrolet and was told the company has numerous product reports of unexplained emergency brake cable fraying and failure not cauded by road hazards or debris hitting the vehicle. This should be a part recall.

- Canyon Lake, CA, USA