2011 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

2011 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Feb 202013

Equinox 4-cyl

I bought my 2011 Equinox late 2011. I have had problems on and off with the engine. First it started making an awful racket whenever it was first started. Sometimes only once a week or so, sometimes 2-3 times a day. Christmas day 2012, while loading the vehicle with gifts and such I had started it so that it would be warm when we were done. But before we were done the car started to sputter and act like it was out of fuel. I turned it off and after I restarted it ran fine but engine light was on. Light went off after about 50 miles. From christmas 2012 to February 20, 2013 that sputtering happened occasionally and then turned into a little worse of an issue and my engine power reduced message started coming on and I'd have to stop and restart the car before it would quit.the car would be 'sputtering' or feel as though I was running out of gas. It got to where when the engine power reduced message came on, before I could even pull over to shut it off the 'sputtering' was so bad that my check stabilitrac message would come on too. I noticed that my mpg had went down also. 2-20-13, I parked the car and didn't drive it again until the dealership could look at it. I took it to the dealership on 2-26-13 and I got it back today 2-28-13. They replaced the throttle body and some of the wiring for the throttle body and it runs like a dream (so far anyway). In fact, I'm not sure that it ever ran this well the entire time I've owned it.

- Henryetta, OK, USA

Dec 182012

Equinox 4-cyl

On 18 Dec 2012 the car lunged forward while exiting a parking lot. Ten minutes later the car lost all power on a busy highway. I could not steer the car to the shoulder of the road.... the car was dead. Police arrived to warn me of being in a very dangerous spot. I was towed by aaa to the dealership where the car was purchased. Service at the dealership = oil/filter change. Odometer - 9778. The old problem recurred today 22 Feb 2013. Odometer 10329 sluggishness, slow response to acceleration, died twice in reverse, and general undependable. I'm afraid to drive the car. It is a hazard on the road. Please help.

- Ivins, UT, USA

Jul 042011

Equinox 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the camshaft actuator needed to be replaced. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions for the failure but to no avail. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 4,500 and the current mileage was 47,000. Updated 03/20/13 updated 04/02/13 updated 04/19/2013

- Southbury, CT, USA

Jul 152011

Purchased this 2011 Equinox lt 4 cy on 4/25/2011. After a few months it started hesitating and stalling and a check engine code P0011. So on 7/15/2011 I took it to the dealer and they replaced the intake cam solenoid and oil. Seemed better but still hesitated once in a while so I brought back on 9/27/2011 and the dealer said they could not duplicate.we lived with the hesitation until 2/11/2013 when it starting running bad and stalled a couple times and the check engine light came on with a P0011 code again. This time I took it to another dealership because it was closer and they test both actuator solenoids and at the time of the test they where both working. They checked the debris screens and there was no debris to affect the operation of the actuator. So with no other information about the problem they said the oil was dirty, even though the oil had less than 2500 miles and the computer life oil sensor said I was at 64%. and they stated that the oil did not read on the dip stick. My SUV with 24K miles and less than 2500 miles on since a oil change had burned over a quart and a half of oil.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Oct 042012

Equinox 6-cyl

These vehicles need to be recalled by GM - they have a serious engine defect which cause excessive oil consumption and dangerous performance of the vehicle. The vehicle will stall at any given time or not respond so pulling out into traffic is extremely dangerous. They are in the process of replacing my engine however after much research in most cases this does not fix the problem. I am fortunate to have a dealer that is responsive to my complaints - however that is not the case for most. There are people out there fighting to have the situation resolved but have made no progress. I requested GM terminate my lease as I will not place my children in this vehicle any longer, they refused. I have a light at the end of my tunnel as I leased, but so many people who purchased these vehicles do not as the problem is so well know and documented they are unable to trade them in at a decent value. It is a sin that they are not forced to recall these unsafe vehicles. I am assuming they are waiting for a fatality. I have been denied that ability to speak with a district manager at GM as the resolution provided by the lower level employees was not acceptable. At this point I am not sure where to turn. I will be placing the vehicle in my garage once the engine is replaced and buying another vehicle as to not endanger myself or others.

- Oak Ridge, NJ, USA

Jan 082013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the vehicle suddenly stalled. The check engine warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was not aware of the repair necessary to correct the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000.

- Texas City, TX, USA

Jun 062011

Equinox 4-cyl

Bought 2011 Equinox on May 14,2011, on June 6,2011 with only 1675 miles returned vehicle to dealership due to making noise upon starting. Best I can make out on work order: Code 314 diagnostic scan &R&I&R starter & reposition & torque bolts. Returned on Sept 1, 2011 for same problem. Told there was a recall and had to reprogram engine control module. Was better for awhile, but kept getting worse till it sounded like a diesel engine starting. Just figured this was maybe normal and we would have to just live with it. Final took back to another dealership on 8-2-12. Replaced water pump and balance shaft timing chain, tensioner, crank shaft balancer bolt and cam shaft actuator bolts. Engine light came on 8-18-12, tech said had a leak in vac. Hose. Returned vehicle on 9-7-12 for diesel sounding noise again. Parts ordered to be put on 9-10-or 9-11-12. Don't' think this will fix problem, but it is what GM has recommended to do. Also had issue with speaker in frnt passenger door. Had to take vehicle 4 different trips for them to determine where static noise was from. So loud at times it was difficult to hear radio. Finally replaced speaker and has worked fine since. Also have noticed when stopped and start to accelerate there would be a hesitation. Thought it was just not having foot on pedal good, but after reading about stalling issues-wonder if this is what is happening. Really considering trading this vehicle in-but wonder if we would get true value of car once they see what all has been done and problems. Isn't there some compensation GM can give to owners. Would never recommend this vehicle to anyone.

- St. Joseph, TN, USA

Jun 042011

Equinox 6-cyl Diesel

Upon starting the vehicle one day there was a horrible loud 'rattling' noise under the hood. It has done this at least 3 more times since this date 7 it is still under manf. Warranty.

- Henryetta, OK, USA

Jul 092012

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate and suddenly stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but the vehicle continued to stall. The engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 142012

The engine stalled during operating, this is a brand new car just around 24,000 miles.

- Lompoc, CA, USA