2011 Chevrolet Equinox seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

2011 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Feb 292016

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 30 mph, the seat belt locked on the driver without warning. The seat belt would not retract or detract. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 93,000.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Aug 042015

I was driving 79mph down interstate 295 when a voulcher flew into my front driver side lower car panel causing the air bag canister to deploy but not the airbag itself. The airbag light came on and the service airbag came up on my display. I contacted state patrol and they came out to see the damage but could not file a report. I do however, have the state patrol officers name and email address. I had to get my car towed and taken to a garage where an airbag specialist came out and claimed that the airbag system was messed up and it had to be replaced along with my seatbelts. I was not injured luckily but it is scary to know that my airbag did not deploy.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Sep 132013

It has been going on two years that my seat belt has been messed up and I don't know why, the driver seat belt is completely locked and the passenger seat is loose and when I took it to homestead dealership they said that I had to pay $4,000 to get it fixed and they couldn't even tell me why that happens. I have 3 kids and everyday I drive the car I have to worry about their safe because of the seat belts. I feel that I shouldn't have to pay for that and all I want is for it to get fixed and I don't have that kind of money. Seat belt is the main safety when it comes to driving as well as having kids in the car.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Feb 172015

Equinox 4-cyl

Large pickup truck with snow plow ran stop sign at intersection, snow plow blade hit left side/left front of car, at speed of about 45 mph. Impact forced car off the road, into a pile of frozen ice and snow. Damage was severe enough that left front door was almost sliced off the car with serious body damage to left front and left front corner. All doors were jammed shut. Neither front nor side airbags deployed. Seat belt on driver did not tighten up either. Damage also to seat frame and dashboard.

- Masury, OH, USA

Aug 072012

Equinox 4-cyl

While driving this being with a malfunctioning tcmp I was coming up on a light at about 45 mph and the brakes failed and upon impact the seat belt did not lock but actually let me move right into the steering wheel thus causing serious damage to my sternum and also breaking 2 ribs and my head cracked my windshield and the vehicle was totaled out by the insurance company who of course did not pay anything near what I did go figure.

- Ps, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Equinox 4-cyl

I got a warning that said service airbags. I brought my car in and they found out it was the passenger air bag. They reset the sensor and it never came back and so they said it was fine. About a week went by and the light came on and then disappeared again. I called and they said they would need it for 3 days and it could cost quite a lot of money. When I read all the reports of others who had seen this signal it seems very similar because it doesn't stay on. I have read that it could be a seat belt trigger or caused by the heat, but I am very concerned as this is certainly something that is a safety concern. My car is also under 60,000 miles and this shouldn't be a concern at this point. Please advise if there has been other issues with this. I am hearing about many myself.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Jul 312013

Equinox 4-cyl

Air bags did not deploy at or above the mfg. Thresholds.which caused for no air bag deployment and significant facial trauma on the steering wheel. Seat belt pretenstioners also did pretension causing the upper torso to go forward and cause the facial trauma on the steering wheel.

- Turlock, CA, USA