2012 Chevrolet Equinox body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox:

2012 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Nov 022016

Equinox

Contacted Chevy/GM for my doors rusting out on the bottom seams, the local dealer said GM would not cover the warranty because the rusting is "not through" the metal, what do they want! a vehicle with holes in the doors!!! how "safe" is that GM!"?? this veteran does not understand a public taxpayer bailout and this is how they want the vehicle that you own to be!??" shame on GM and Chevrolet!!!!!!!!!

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Oct 252012

Equinox

The doors on my Chevy Equinox are rusting/ bubbling out along the bottom seam, it is not moving!!!

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Aug 142016

Equinox

The front windshield side pillars are so wide near the side mirrors that it causes a foot wide blind spot which has caused me to be in an accident and almost several other accidents. I have heard that I am not the only one who has had a problem with this. This blind spot caused me to hit a pole while turning and pulling out of a parking area.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jul 102015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the bottom of the doors was rusted. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who stated that it was a known issue with that make and model. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was approximately 25,000.

- Anoka, MN, USA

Mar 292016

Equinox

My inside doors are rusting from the inside. We were smelling a musty smell and just dismissed it until we looked at the bottom of all doors that are rusting from the inside. I believe that the seals are defective on the doors which allows water to sit

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Oct 022015

Equinox

Doors on lower hem seam have the paint to popping off leaving bare metal to rust. Dealer will not repair under warranty. Contacted GM customer care claim #81571836632. They came back with me after talking to dealer for me to pay the dealer $300 for refinish doors. In Canada GM is repairing under warranty with service bulletin #15136B until May 2017. Why repair under warranty in Canada but not the usa. Vehicle is in Michigan. Reported to dealer during July 2015, went back October 2015 to have dealer fix. Customer & dealer not willing to press GM warranty to cover repairs. Dealer stated he see them all the time.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Dec 012012

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the front driver and passenger side doors were corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Bradford, OH, USA

Nov 222013

Equinox 4-cyl

We were sitting still at train crossing when we were struck from the rear and was shoved forward 8-10 feet into the car in front of us. The car is a total loss. With all of the rear and front damage, none of the airbags were deployed. Also, both front seats broke loose from the seat brackets that hold the seats to the floor. My wife (passenger seat) not only broke loose but the seat twisted.

- Avon, IN, USA

Oct 272013

Equinox 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking lot at an angle to the curb with my foot on the brake and all of a sudden the vehicle accelerated causing it to jump the curb and hit a tree near the curb causing causing over $6000 worth of damage.

- Pawleys Island, SC, USA

May 022012

Equinox 6-cyl

Four different times the rear hatch was open and has unexpectedly come down and hit people in the back. No buttons have been pushed to start this action. One time the hatch raised unexpectedly. The Chevy dealer has studied the problem and replaced two parts which did not solve the problem. The dealer says they cannot get more information from GM central on solving the problem. A person with a GM terrain had the same problem during the time I have had my Equinox problem. I believe he is in philadelpha, but I have found him only by an internet name of "phillythekid" and don't know if his SUV got fixed. I believe there must be a GM engineer who designed the hatch system, (which is terribly complicated), and this person could solve the problem. There are several control boxes involved, and numerous interlocks. But no one can reach this person through Chevrolet dealers and customer assistance people, and that amazes me. The only reason I find for such a firewall is that GM doesn't want to spend time and money on a problem that is numbered in tens, not thousands. They would just as soon we few people go away and buy another brand. I can find seven instances of unexpected hatch actions on the net that are from various GM SUVS. The GM dealers have found nothing in their GM sites. I want my car fixed so no one will be hurt.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA