2012 Chevrolet Equinox seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox:

2012 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

May 272016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While the vehicle was stationary, the air bag light illuminated without warning. The issue recurred while driving 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 30,700. Updated 07/14/16

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 222015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that a semi-truck crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle with force. The contact's vehicle then crashed into the rear of the preceding vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The driver sustained a concussion, upper and lower back pains, neck pain, and arm pain. The contact received medical attention. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The speed was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 62,271.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 022015

Equinox

I was stopped behind another vehicle making a turn. I was then rear ended by another vehicle at approx. 30mph. This cause me to be pushed into the vehicle in front of me. There is extensive damage front and rear of my vehicle. The airbags never deployed. Right after the accident, onstar call me to as if I need medical attention, because there system alerted them of a an accident. Now both my front seatbelts are locked in place and the service airbag light is on. I was pushed so hard into the vehicle infront of me that my metal bumper support is cracked 80% of the way through. I sustained a mild concussion and whiplash because of this accident. With all the damage front and rear, those airbags should have been deployed.

- Hopewell Junction, NY, USA

Dec 172014

Equinox

Suddenly, "service airbag" light started to appear when someone sat in front passenger seat and the overhead display showed the passenger airbag as off. No wreck or anything unusual happened. Brought it to Chevrolet dealer, paid $115 for a diagnostic and they said we need a new airbag sensor that will cost $800. This should be a recall. This car is 2 years old, 45K miles and has not had an accident and I have to pay nearly $1000 to get an airbag fixed? I can't afford this right before christmas. I called Chevrolet to be sure and they confirmed it isn't covered by any type of warranty. Please add this car to the airbag recall list and I'll be happy to provide the invoice from the dealer stating this problem.

- Chelsea, AL, USA

Sep 052014

Equinox 6-cyl

The passenger seat got wet and the passenger side air bag would not turn off. It took 3 days for the seat to dry out before the air bag would turn off when the seat was unoccupied. The sensor should be water proof if a child were to wet their pants as in this incident.

- Kent, WA, USA

Nov 222013

Equinox 4-cyl

We were sitting still at train crossing when we were struck from the rear and was shoved forward 8-10 feet into the car in front of us. The car is a total loss. With all of the rear and front damage, none of the airbags were deployed. Also, both front seats broke loose from the seat brackets that hold the seats to the floor. My wife (passenger seat) not only broke loose but the seat twisted.

- Avon, IN, USA

Sep 202013

Equinox 4-cyl

I was traveling South as another car was traveling North. The car traveling North made a rapid left turn directly in my traveling path. We collided and my car was totaled. I hit the steering wheel pretty hard because the airbag did not deploy. How should I proceed?

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dec 102012

Equinox 4-cyl

I was stopped in traffic when a vehicle rear ended my vehicle while traveling around 40-50 mph at the time of impact. The force of the impact pushed me forward into the vehicle in front of mine causing extensive damage to my vehicle and the causing vehicle and minor damage to the vehicle in front of mine. The impact caused the airbags to activate which prompted onstar to come on. The airbags never actually activated. The amount of damage caused by the crash was $17,000 to repair which caused the vehicle to be totaled. The amount of damage upon inspection shows that the airbags should have deployed.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA