2013 Chevrolet Equinox engine NHTSA complaints: Engine

NHTSA — Engine Problems

7.3

2013 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox:

2013 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Oct 162014

Equinox

Question. I received a letter in the mail regarding my 2013 Chevy Equinox with flex fuel. The letter states some 2013 equionx vehicles equipped with this feature may have a condition where the flexible sensor may become inoperative during normal operation due to an electrical failure caused by road salt and other environmental contaminats. This could cause the service engine light to illuminate and remote start will be inoperative. Why wouldn't this be a recall issue? it effects the engine. To me this is a way around another recall incident involving General Motors. Help.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 292014

Equinox 4-cyl

I was driving on I-71N around 3:30 on my way home during the speed limit of 65 when all of a sudden the display show an engine light and a message saying reducing power mode and the speed drop to 20 even though I hand my foot on the gas all the way to the floor. Luckily I had just move lane from in front of a 18 wheeler and was able to pull over still in danger because the lane I moved to still had traffic coming. I turn the car off since it would not go and sit for about 5 minutes. I started it up and was able to make it to the dealer service. They found that following code P2101, P2119. They perform diagnostic test all wiring to throttle position sensor test ok replace throttle body assembly and recheck faults, passed. What they told me is that the sensor did not know I was giving the engine gas so it reduce the engine speed. This is scary to know it could happen and I could have been injured or even kill. I was lucky.

- Mason, OH, USA

May 222014

Equinox 6-cyl

I was doing approx. 25 mph and went to press down on the accelerator the vehicle hesitated then took off very fast and rapid scared my wife and I almost hit the vehicle that I was trying to pass the vehicle now sits in my garage and will not drive the vehicle very afraid either myself or someone else is going to get killed, this is not the first time during the week of 5-22-2014 it happened.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

May 162014

Equinox 4-cyl

I pulled into my driveway and put the car in park. I noticed a small puff of white smoke from the hood in one specific place. Prior to this, there was not a check engine light, there was not a messgae warning of reduced engine power. The car was inspected at a certified GM dealership on 4/16/2014. Nothing was noted on the diagnostic form to fix or replace. It was completed at the dearlership that we purchased the car at. I quickly got out of my car and begin to get my three year old out of his carseat. I looked at the hood and there was so much black smoke pouring out of the hood I could not see our shed or anything in front of me. I yelled to the other two children (both 6), to get out of their carseats and run into the woods. I unbuckled one child and the other child slipped out of her buckle. They ran to a safe spot. I ran into the house called 911 and got our fire extinguisher. Came outsude and there was black smoke filling the sky and pouring out of the hood in numerous places. I used the fire extinguisher which did not help. I got the garden hose and tried to use that, but was getting too dangerous. So I waited for the fire department to arrive. At this time there was flames coming from the bottom and top of the car and the car was making loud cracking and exploding noises. There was so much smoke I could not see the house which was close by. The windows exploded and the passanger airbag went off. The three children countinued to be 500 feet into the woods and I frantically was running around (37 week pregnant).the shed caught on fire. The fire department arrived and extinguished the fire. The two front tires were completly melted and ruined our driveway.

- Calais, VT, USA

May 022014

Equinox 4-cyl

While approaching a traffic signal the engine went to a reduced power mode (idle)....I had no control of the car...could not move....could not even move to side of road...blocking traffic....called onstar Chevy emerg road assist...while making arrangement for tow he asked for mileage...I had to turn off the engine to get rid of the screen which said "reduced engine power"....gavehim the mileage...when restarting the engine the engine now idled normal and when pu in drive, I could now move the car....canceled the service...took the car to the dealer next am...they diagnosed the trouble to be a "binding throttle body" it was replaced...I am apprehensive driving the car, especially on I95 with trucks and cars traveling 70/80 mph I could get killed.......

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 162013

Equinox

The lights in the interior of my car go out intermittently. I have been driving down the highway going 70mph and without warning the car just died on me, I had to have someone push me off the highway because the car would not start. I waited about 10 mins and it started up again. The collision senor goes off when there is nothing around the car and boggs down the car while driving. I have taken it to 2 different shops and they can not get the problem to duplicate. They have had my car since before thanksgiving and gave it back to me the week of christimas. I drove it and had no problems until that Friday on my way home from work crossing over a busy intersection the collision alert started ringing and the senor is off and the car died in the middle of the road. I was able to get it started right away and get out of the intersection. I took it back to the shop and they still can't get the problem resolved. I say the GM obviously has electrical issues with their cars, because reading others complaints about the same issues. This is a major safety issue!

- Austin, TX, USA

May 122013

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 3 mph in reverse, a load roaring noise emitted from the engine. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was unable to locate the defect. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000. Updated 2/11/14 another dealer informed the consumer, the noise was coming from the high valve fuel pump on the engine and in the gas tank. The consumer has since traded the vehicle. Updated 02/18/14

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Jan 312013

Equinox 4-cyl

When I take off and begin to accelerate, car hesitates. Getting worse. As I was approaching the top of an overpass, had to speed up because it seemed to hesitated. Took it in once, service manager and assistant both said they drove it and nothing happened. I left there and it happened and continues to happen.

- Taft, TX, USA