5.3

2014 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Equinox:

2014 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Nov 082016

Equinox

I turned my vehicle off to get gas and when I started my vehicle back up, the heating, air conditioning, defrost, radio controls and the center instrument panel lights had all become inoperative. Everything stayed inoperative for 2 days. On the third day, I was getting ready to leave and started my vehicle up but then realized I forgot something and turned my car off. I returned to my vehicle to restart it but the vehicle would not start. The center instrument panel lights and radio controls suddenly returned working but everything else that had been inoperative (the defrost, A/C and heating), stayed inoperative and my vehicle now showed the message "service power steering" under the gas gauge. I attempted to start the vehicle a day later but nothing had changed and it would not start. The vehicle was stationary when anything had become inoperative on the vehicle.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 202015

Equinox

My husband and I bought brand new 2014 Chevrolet Equinox. Thinking that this would be an investment as a reliable and safe family car, it has been nothing but a headache. It currently has less than 60K miles and it has engine failure problems and isn't drive-able... the engine unexpectedly lost power while my husband was driving down the 91 freeway from irvine to riverside around 70 mph. The engine literally slowed to about 10-15 mph. My husband is a decorated marine corps war veteran who has survive three tours in afghanistan, who would have thought that a humdrum commute to work almost cost him his life. And now the check engine light is on and I am too afraid to drive it. This life threatening situation is only the most significant sometimes the car get stuck in back up cam mode or the radio shut off randomly and refuses to come back on. If I am going up a hill or a mountain the car won't go over 40 mph, and I can't trade it in cause I owe more than what the car is worth.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Equinox

Started vehicle and rpms were bouncing and car was idling very rough. I took the car the dealership and was told there was nothing wrong, they could not duplicate anything. I also asked about the hard downshifting and brake fade and was told they were unable to duplicate any issues with car. I picked the car up 4 days later from the "service" and the greasy handprints all over the hood and sides of the car were tell tale signs I would not be returning. I waited approximately 1 month and the start up idle was getting worse so I took the car to another dealer and was told it was normal for this engine to idle rough and emit black smoke on initial start and was given a bulletin that said this was a normal condition for this vehicle. Then on 12/5/14 I received a letter stating that if the car is driven straight for a long period of time the steering could not operate properly and be difficult to turn and you should use force to turn the wheel. This is a new car with less than 7500 miles on it and no one is willing to help? thanks for nothing GM.

- Mocksville , NC, USA

Nov 262014

Equinox 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled after the reduce engine power warning light illuminated. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ECM fuse was blown and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,500. Updated 1/13/15 updated 01/15/15

- Manhattan, NY, USA

Mar 102014

Equinox 4-cyl

Ignition key difficult to get in and difficult to turn engine over; ignition key sticks both off and on"?? I know of similar problems with the same vehicle. Ongoing problem with GM??"

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Apr 252014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while reversing from a residential garage, he noticed that there was an oil leak. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the front engine seal was leaking and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 640.

- Petersburg, MI, USA