2006 Chevrolet HHR electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Feb 102015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. After the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and 14V171000 (electrical system), the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Apr 152014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the instrument panel shorted intermittently and caused electrical failures within the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel was extremely tight and intermittently locked without warning. Upon using the cigarette lighter, smoke emitted inside the vehicle indicating that there was an electrical fire with the wires. The fire extinguished without having to contact the fire department. The vehicle was not inspected and diagnosed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V171000 (electrical system) and 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) but was unable to determine when the recall repair would be performed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 012013

HHR 4-cyl

Received letter from Chevrolet dated 1-2015 stating that "some 2006 HHR's" may have a defect which causes power steering (ps) to fail at any time. Called local dealer to have it repaired but my car (VIN) is not on the recall list. The exact sequence of ps failure described in letter has occurred with my car multiple times but they, Chevrolet dealer, does not guarantee that this will be fixed without my paying the bill as it (VIN) is not on their list. My car should be entered into the recall list as this is a manufacturers mechanical defect and needs to be recalled and repaired at GM's cost. This is the 3rd letter (recall) on this car; ignition cylinder, transmission lock and now power steering!

- Poolesville, MD, USA

Feb 102015

HHR 4-cyl

While driving in trailer park, power steering failed struggled to park. Next day problem seemed to right itself. Scary.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Jan 052015

HHR 4-cyl

I have had numerous problems first off my dash lights will flicker while driving sometimes the radio and dash won't work at all, backs of my driver and passenger seats have fallen off, both driver and passenger door handles are broke the drivers handle is completely broke off, also when it rains my passenger floor board fills up with water, my seats are so dirty looking cause something keeps bleeding through upholstery, ignition and shift lever had to be replaced today cause car wouldn't go into park and key wouldn't come out!! also the car used to slide when on a corner or rough road!! this is ridiculous!! the door handles is a safety hazard god for bid if I'm in a wreck or my car starts on fire I won't be able to get out of my car and I can't afford to have them fixed right now because I recently lost my job!!

- Duncan, AZ, USA

Nov 092012

HHR 4-cyl

Contact reported that door locks would not operate with key fob nor when activating the door lock switches on the door. Took vehicle to two different dealers trying to get the ignition recall fixed which took a total of four visits. While car was in for recall, addressed an unrelated electrical solenoid problem and asked the dealer to look at the door lock issue. Dealer notified owner that passenger door and rear seat left and right door lock actuators had failed (3 of 4 total). Asked dealer if they had seen this unusual condition on any other HHR's and they said no. Showed them the 30+ issues logged on this site and they only commented that the HHR was not the best GM product ever built but there was no dealer fix for this issue. Contact was advised that it would be $340 per door to fix and service was declined (after $80 diagnostic charge to verify that door locks did not work).

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Nov 122014

HHR 4-cyl

I was on the highway when I looked to check my speed, the gauges and the dic were not working. When I returned home and turned the car on and off multiple times they still did not work. So my speed and mileage are estimates. Update, it started working again, but I don't know if it will happen again or if there is a malfunction starting to happen.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 252014

TL - the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled intermittently several times. The lights illuminated on the instrument panel for various sensors. The contact was able to restart the vehicle in some instances and also had to tow the vehicle more than once due to the intermittent failure. The contact indicated that the vehicle went over the train tracks and the vehicle stalled. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags and electrical system), 14V171000 (electrical system) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not give a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact was continuing to experience the intermittent failure with the ignition switch, instrument panel sensors and the gages intermittently did not work. The approximate failure mileage was not available. Dyd

- Ontario, CA, USA

May 162014

HHR 4-cyl

I had the ignition changes as of a recall. The electrical started to act up after that, the cruise control will kick off, the doors will lock and unlock, the alarm will go off even if you unlock it with the key, the remote control stopped working, the radio stopped working & then started again, and the drivers door will show locked, but doesn't. this seems to all be controlled by the ignition switch. Its to the point I am afraid to drive it because it may leave me stranded or stop working in traffic. But the company says that it has nothing to do with the ignition.

- Onawa, IA, USA

Jul 012014

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and was unable to turn. The contact restarted the vehicle and it resumed to normal. The contact also stated that the ignition key would not release from the ignition and the release button in the steering column was required. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (electrical system) however, the remedy failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000. Updated 12/01/14

- Dubois , PA, USA

Jun 202014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and was not able to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who reprogrammed the computer, provided the contact with a new set of keys, and repaired the vehicle according to NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (electrical system). The failure recurred and the key remained stuck in the ignition. The vehicle also failed to shift out of park, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver, and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering motor, the gear box, and shifter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- South Bay, FL, USA

Jul 112014

HHR 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited numerous electrical failures. The engine failed to start, the doors lock failed to lock electronically and sometimes unlocked while driving. Also, the air bag warning light illuminated, the cruise control failed and the vehicle stalled while driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician replaced the computer cluster module. However, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500. Updated 10/22/2014 the consumers wife was injured as they attempted to steer the vehicle, to avoid a crash. Updated 03//09/16

- Gonzales , TX, USA

Mar 012014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the part needed to repair the vehicle was not available. The contact mentioned that the part had been unavailable for several months. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Longview, WA, USA

Aug 222014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering stopped working multiple times while my 16 yr old was driving.

- Madison, AL, USA

Aug 082014

HHR 4-cyl

To whom it may concern, the key got stuck in the ignition in April (with no other problems) drained the battery and was picked up and taken to smicklas Chevrolet dealership in okc, and remained there on the lot until we picked up on 8/8/14 was told we needed a new battery they could do for around $200 but it was not payday yet and we asked for a jump when we got there. I feel with it sitting there so long maybe they should have try to charge the battery at the very least. We got a few miles down the expressway and had to pull over so we didn't get in a wreck or cause one due to a ton of smoke coming out the vents and a terrible electrical smell like it was on fire! turned off the A/C and pulled over to check under the hood to make sure there wasn't a fire, not one we could see but it sure smelled like it!! called ray at smicklas right there on the side of the road, only to be told it sounded like the blower motor on the air conditioner and that happens sometimes when cars sit for that long. Feeling helpless, we finally get home to check things out and find the passenger floor board full of water, unable to set the time on the radio and some buttons won't work or the cd player and the new remote start will not work. We get it to our mechanic that replaces the battery and told us that the old one was very hot!! and that the blower motor was not the problem, it didn't even have power to it, it was an electrical problem to do with the ignition switch that there was a recall on....I laughed and told him we just had that done! he said that they may have wired something wrong, or the switch was bad. And to the end the day, when stopping for dinner on the way home the key stuck in the new ignition switch and I had to shift from park and drive a couple times to get the key out. What do I need to do to get this resolved"?" thank you for your time,

- El Reno, OK, USA

Mar 132014

HHR 4-cyl

This car has already been serviced due to recall on ignition. I specified to the service rep (when I dropped it for the recall service) of what we had experienced before we parked it: The first time while driving approximately 25 mph the theft deterrent alarm lit up, power started to fail, all gauges moved erratically up and down, dashboard display then flashed ****, then flashed "power steering", and the engine light came on. We got off the road, found a 2 amp fuse to the ignition switch/pass-key blown, replaced #8 fuse from spare.that was the first time. We experienced the problem several more times but no blown fuses. After recall service was completed they made no note of any other electrical problems being found or serviced the problem has resurfaced, and nearly stranded us. No blown fuses in the engine compartment or under dash.. on 8/16/2014 the car decided to shut down at 55mph. Luckily the power steering never went out totally, and the car behind us avoided our sudden slow down. A certified mechanic (not local Chevy dealership where purchased and serviced fro 100,000 M) have suggested that I file this complaint.

- Ruckersville, VA, USA

Jul 292014

HHR 4-cyl

We were on vacation and I was traveling on a road at the posted speed of 30 mph. I was going around a bend and immediately my power steering light came on, there was a chime, it became very difficult to manage the bend I was going around and I hit a light pole damaging my front bumper. At that same time, my mhp and rmp needles began bouncing back and forth and the car was "jerking". I turned the car off. It was still drivable, but within a few seconds the power steering light came back on, the needles bounced and car jerked. I called GM to see if there was a recall on the power steering. They informed me that there were several GM power steering recalls on several years of HHR, cobalt and Saturn. They all have very similar power steering mechanisms. However, my year, 2006, was not on that recall. I have researched and found thousands of people with 2006 HHR's complaining of the same issues but not understanding why that year is not included in the recall.

- West Alexander, PA, USA

Aug 052014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fennimore, WI, USA

Jul 302014

HHR 4-cyl

Lost all electronic power and steering and shut off wound up in the ditch which stopped the car key would not turn to the off posiposition.

- Fordland, MO, USA

Jul 012014

Letter from senator rubio on behalf of constituent regarding issues with his 2006 Chevrolet HHR; he is seeking reimbursement for the lost billing time and repairs associated with the recall of the HHR Chevrolet; attn: Jason teaman. The consumer stated he encountered multiple problems with the vehicle, ever since it was purchased. Many of the problems were related to the faulty ignition switch, where the key would not come out of the ignition, when the engine was turned off, or the vehicle would not start at all. There were electrical problems with the radio, where it would turn on by itself. Also, the lights and windows did not work. Updated 04/13/15.

- Miami, FL, USA