2006 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 10 of 20)

Feb 132007

HHR 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR, I love it but, it has issues 1st I bought it used 15,000 miles. Since then I have had 1. the rear logo replaced 4 times, then, 2.the key get stuck when I turn off the car so I used the plunger and 3. the gear shift moves when the car is off or on. Now, 4. the key won't turn to start the car I have to jiggle it till it works. 5. my power steering goes out randomly, while driving it so I can't turn the 6.-,7.-, and 8.3 recalls, then, 9. the wheels shakes at 60 mph, I have 10. And 11. Replaced both front door handles with in 2 weeks 12. I hear a loud crackling or static sound from my speakers and the radio is off. Oh and 13. My check engine light won't go off plus 14. Every time I have to change the battery I have to get my remote reprogrammed for the auto start... it came with the car. What is going on? there are 14 issues some safety and some cosmetic but, clearly an issue I am only making my voice heard because I just started researching my car. I am a single mother I can't afford to fix the major ignition or gear shift, transmission and electrical car shaking these have been reported in a lot of Hhrs. Please help.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Jan 202014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering assist failed. The failure was recurring however, the vehicle was neither diagnosed to determine the cause of the failure nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jan 032013

Determine if a safety-related defect trend exists...have you seen how many people are complaining about there power steering cutting out" why is nothing being done" I've been dealing with mine going out randomly for at least a year. It may cut out 6 - 10 times a day, it may go a week or a month before it does it again. It may not do it for me, but will do it for my son...heat, rain, cold, snow it's just so random and dangerous. And yes the electric power steering will reset if you turn the key off and back on. This is just crazy that this failure is happening to so many HHR drivers. I cant believe that the problem hasn't been determined and that the dealership doesn't already know what to replace and has to charge you to do diagnostics to figure it out. There have been other car recalls (cobalt) for power steering why not the HHR now?

- Clawson, MI, USA

Dec 192013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on a curve at 55 mph the power steering quit and the vec became very hard to steer, almost causing an accident.

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Dec 242013

HHR 4-cyl

Bought 2006 HHR lt new for my company. Purchased it from my company for personal use in early 2011. While my daughter was practicing parallel parking at the dmv (for license test), the power steering quit working. This was the first time it happened. The failure occurred when she was fully stopped and turned the wheel all the way to the right to begin the parking maneuver. It happened on the third practice for the day. Turned the HHR off, let it set 30 sec, and turned it back on. Steering reset. Worked for a couple of practices, and then the power assist quit again. This happened three times, with the 3rd time not resetting. Left and drove off with no power steering. A couple of miles down the road, turned off the HHR at a stoplight. It reset when I turned the HHR back on. Went to the dealer that day (christmas eve 2013) to get it fixed. They replaced the power steering motor - $453. Seemed to work fine. Went to dmv site again today (christmas) for further parking practice and the power steering failed again -- during the wheel turn at a complete stop. Happened twice; reset both times. Quit practice in frustration. Obviously the motor was not the issue... or not the only issue. Seems to be a recurring theme on this site that HHR steering has design flaws. Probably past time for regulators to see that the statistics justify a recall on the HHR's power steering. Going back to dealer tomorrow. How much this time is the big question?

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 232013

I was driving down an interstate highway at about 55mph when the power steering light came on and lost all of my power steering almost causing an accident. Luckily I got the car over to the shoulder. I turned the car off and restarted it to see if that would remedy the issue and 10 minutes down the road again, it did the same thing. I tried to change out the fuse under the hood and to no avail, the power steering went out within 5 minutes this time. This is a very serious issue and GM should fix this issue. I've had alot of cars and never had a power steering issue with this esp. I may never buy another GM product again.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Nov 252013

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph the power steering failed when she made a right turn. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to the right side of the road. The vehicle was not towed. The contact was able to driven the vehicle to her home. There were no warning indicator lights illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic, due to the cost. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Canton, NC, USA

Dec 062013

At varies speeds and driving conditions the power steering on the vechile stops working. It has happened while at stop lights and while driving home from work during normal driving conditions.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Dec 072013

We own a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering warning illuminated and the steering wheel became very tight without warning. This has now happened numerous times in the past week - and at different speeds and weather conditions. A google search revealed there is a known problem with this component and it has been addressed in other models with the same power steering motor. Why haven't the HHR's been included in the extended warranty? losing power steering at a high rate of speed and trying to get over 4 lanes of traffic to stop and restart the engine could be deadly!

- Humble, TX, USA

Jan 152013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while parked, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 152013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated as the steering wheel seized. The contact had to merge to the side of the road to turn off and restart the vehicle in order for it to resume normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician diagnosed that the electronic power steering module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 83,000 and the current mileage was 84,112.

- Oak Forest , IL, USA

Apr 152012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the front driver and passenger's side door handles were fractured. The dealer was made aware of the failure and stated that the door panel on both doors would have to be replaced. Additionally, the vehicle stalled while driving approximately 20 mph. The contact also experienced difficulty steering on another occasion. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Grand Island, NE, USA

May 162013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Marion, OH, USA

Oct 072013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated as the steering wheel seized, making it difficult for the contact to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 63,000. Updated 12/04/13

- Dickson, TN, USA

Apr 102013

HHR 4-cyl

My 2006 HHR has had to have the front and rear end struts replaced and now, the power steering motor and drive shaft. The vehicle only has 80K miles on it. I don't drive it that much so it shouldn't be having all of these issues. Why hasn't GM issued a recall on this vehicle for all the problems it has? I've read countless similar stories on the internet. This vehicle needs to be recalled to address these issues.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Oct 112013

HHR 4-cyl

I was exiting a commercial driveway upon trying to make a right turn, the steering was very difficult and it took a minute to straighten up. My dashboard indicated there was a problem with the power steering. I immediately pulled over to assess the vehicle and came to find out that this vehicle does not have a power steering pump, its electrical. At the time of this occurrence I was 100 miles away from home. Upon researching this problem, I came across this website with complaints from other drivers with this same problem. I just purchase my car 3 weeks ago. Hopefully, you will take in consideration the number of complaints and request a recall. Does someone have to have an accident or be killed before this problem is rectified?

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Sep 192013

Wife was driving the car, the power steering warning light came on and she lost power steering. She got home, called the dealer and asked about recalls and was informed the 2006 cobalt (mechanically and equipment wise the same car with a different skin) was recalled but not the HHR. I took the car to Firestone and the steering worked fine. They checked out the steering and could find nothing wrong but indicated the HHR has been recalled for this in Canada but not in the us and that the repair is quite expensive. Is the government protecting their investment in GM by not issuing a recall? please explain this situation or recall the twin of the cobalt.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 192013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving to work in the snow the steering wheel jerked out of my hands. This same problem has been recalled for other Chevy models but not the HHR. Does someone need to die in an accident first. I got a recall letter for the storage bin in the dash not staying closed and that is a minor inconvenience, for my wife who has always had power steering in a vehicle to have it suddenly go out scares you when you are at highway speeds. If you turn off the car and restart it within a minute or two its out again. Consumers pay for safety and it doesn't seem like all of the this regulations are helping when it really matters.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 212013

HHR 4-cyl

Driving to work and turned a corner, discover almost too late that I had no power steering. No light flashed on the dash to warn me and I almost hit another vehicle. There has been no solution to fix this problem as it keeps recurring.

- Orlando , FL, USA

Aug 272013

As I was driving my electronic power steering shut down. I pulled over turned engine off and when started again it again steering worked. Went to a store, and drove car about half mile and steering went out again. Pulled to side of road turned engine off, restarted and worked for about eight of a mile. Pulled to side of road and repeated as before. This is now more frequent. As of today 9/4 after the engine begins to warm up the steering turns off. All fluids in car are full. This is a safety issue because the car is very difficult to steer when the steering goes out. I saw that the cobalt had a recall for this and the HHR is mechanically and electronically the same as the HHR. The HHR should be included in the same recall. Thank you.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA