2006 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 17 of 20)

Jul 082006

Loss of power steering while drive. Loose ability to steer at low speeds.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Jun 072011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering warning illuminated with a sudden loss of the power steering. The contact maneuvered the vehicle to the side of the road. The engine was turned off and restarted as normal. The identical failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing and they were unable to detect a trouble code. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The contact stated the recall under NHTSA campaign id 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system) is the failure that he experienced. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Rockville, IN, USA

Jun 122011

I was driving and just when I was on a curved street my car let me know that there was a problem with the power steering. I needed to act fast to avoid an accident due to the fact that I was on a curved street. I never had problem with this electric system until that day. After this, I have been driving my car for one week. The car still doing the same every day, but the main problem is that it happens randomly, so you can;T predict when you will start having a power steering problem. Once you turn of the car and turn it on again system works well for a while. Again, you will never know when it will start having the problem. Hopefully I will go to check the system and fixed as soon as possible. I'm not sure if there is any replacement for this part in which I can be confident that it will never happen again.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 012009

The car has several safety issues. The main concern is that both of the front doors had the handles break off. You cannot open the doors from the inside. You must roll down the window and open from the outside. If the vehicle were involved in an accident or caught on fire and there was no power to the vehicle you are literally trapped inside. I have brought this to the attention of Chevrolet but they have failed to do anything.I feel like the vehicle is a rolling death trap. The other concern is that the power steering went out on the vehicle. Chevrolet does not make it a recall yet you can be driving along and all of a sudden your power steering goes out. The part is the same as the Chevrolet cobalt and Chevrolet did a recall on that vehicle for the very same power steering part.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

May 012009

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet her. The contact stated that while driving at any speed, the steering wheel would exhibit a clunking noise. The dealer was contacted and a diagnosis was performed, but the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was also made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000 and the current mileage was 82,000.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Apr 092009

Had to jump battery and lost power steering after the jump. Car was 2.5 years old. I replaced fuse under the hood and in the center console. Nothing helps.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Apr 182011

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering completely went out while driving with kids in the car.

- Bellevue , NE, USA

Apr 022011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, a warning chime sounded and the power steering failed. The contact stopped and allowed the power steering to reset itself but the failure recurred shortly thereafter. The vehicle was then towed to the contacts residence and was not inspected or repaired for the failure. The failure and current mileage was 77,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 012011

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway I hear a ding ding noise and an indication light comes on saying power steering. I am making my way off the freeway and in the middle of the off ramp my power steering goes out making it almost impossible to turn. I pull into a gas station and turn off the car calling aaa for road side assistance. I had stopped suddenly in the middle of the gas station as I was scared, so I had to re park the car. I turned the car back on and the power steering came back on so I cancelled aaa and I started making my way back home when.... ding ding power steering indication again and as im pulling off again power steering goes out making it impossible to get off the free way safely!!! my car is now parked in the driveway until I can afford to fix it and in the mean time have no car. Ive been told its the defaulty eps motor made in china and it is going out on all Chevy Hhrs but still have not been recalled. I have read thousands of complaints about the same issue as mine after this has happened to me. Not only has my power steering gone out but also my struts, brakes, roters and ball joints!! the GM warrenty does not cover any of these things so its all coming out of my pocket! I have all the reciepts for everything but have no recall on this 2006 Chevy HHR yet?? why, read the reviews and compliants there are several saftey issues with this car. I have owned Chevy 15 years and I have never had so many issues. Ya also so purchased a Chevy aveo dont even go there bought new broke down in the first month. Chevy HHR is an un safe vehicle and Chevy is going to loose by treating consumers this way.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 212010

HHR 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR. Every since the weather has been getting warmer my car has been loosing it's power steering function. This will happen at anytime of the day and at any place. I can be at a complete stop or driving on the highway and will lose all steering capabilities. This seems to be the same problem that was found in the 2005 - 2010 Chevy cobalts. If I pull over and turn the car off then turn it back on it helps for a while until it does it again. This has been going on for about a month now, today is March 21st 2011. When the steering goes out the odometer will say power steering and there will be a chime that goes off. My mechanic has not been able to figure out what is wrong with the car since it never does it when I leave the car with him.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Feb 242011

HHR 4-cyl

1. I was turning into a parking spot when my 2006 Chevy HHR had the power steering come on the console and then the steering became very hard. 2. after shutting car off for a bit, it fixed the problem, but was back 20 miles down the road. 3. I have investigated that while this is a problem for the HHR, it is not included with the GM cars recalls. I guess they don't care about the HHR drivers. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.... I don't feel I should have fix this safety issue.

- Algona, IA, USA

Jun 012010

General Motors has recalled all models with known power steering issues except the HHR, they're aware the electric power steering is suseptable to failure, which makes the vehicle less safe to operate. This issue has been recalled in Canada. Do they want to run all their customers off? if GM doesn't fix or reimburse me for this, it will be my last GM product. It is ridiculous to treat customers this way. They know there are bad parts out there and refuse to make right on it.

- Paragould, AR, USA

Feb 032011

Power steering failed on 2006 Chevy HHR LT1. Dealer states power steering motor for cobalt has been recalled, so not sure why the HHR has not been recalled.

- Newark, DE, USA

Jan 102011

HHR 4-cyl

Chevrolet HHR 2006. Power steering warning displays on the info display indicating that the power steering has failed. Steering becomes somewhat difficult especially at slower speeds. Power steering functionality resumes once ignition is turned off and back on. Power steering will eventually fail again at random intervals.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Feb 032010

HHR 4-cyl

Dealer states cannot duplicate problems: No power steering not fixed by replacing fuse (eps system), although GM recalled many vehicles with same problem and are aware of issue, no recall has been issued. Windows squeal up & down on sunny day, & get stuck shut. Windshield wipers came off of windshield wiper transmission. Front end sway bars replaced, continued problem, tires wearing uneven, feels like bad bearings, unable to dup. Rear windshield wiper fluid pours into interior of car. Front left turn signal went then rear turn signal. Interior was sold as scotch guarded/repellent of liquids interior is far from guarded against anything water stains fabric. Electric power mirrors no longer work. Brought car in for service, recall on front head air bags never disclosed to me never offered to repair.

- Troy, NY, USA

Dec 012010

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving at any speed, the contact stated that the vehicle would lose power steering making it difficult to steer; the check engine and power steering warning lights would illuminate. The contact pulled off the road, turned the vehicle off and restarted the vehicle to regain power steering; however the check engine warning light continued to illuminate. The contact did not inform the dealer. The manufacturer was notified who informed the contact that there were no related recalls. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current mileages were approximately 40,900 and the failure mileages were approximately 39,000. Updated 05/03/11 updated 05/04/11

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jan 142011

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering in my 2006 Chevy HHR randomly stops working. The dash light says "power steering" when this happens. This happens two or three times a week on average. This problem has occurred twice while turning almost causing me to crash into retaining walls on the highway on ramps. This seems to be a common problem with the HHR. A temporary fix for this issue is to turn the car off and then back on. The problem will return at random times. Chevrolet recalled cobalt's that had the same problem. I can not understand why Chevrolet won't issue a recall on this very serious safety problem.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Dec 102010

HHR 4-cyl

The vehicle is a 2006 Chevy HHR with approximately 46000 miles. The electric power steering goes out as I am driving and it is very difficult to steer. When this happens during a turn it is very dangerous, and I have almost run into other vehicles. After restarting it usually works, but is subject to going out again at any moment without warning. I contacted Chevrolet, but they denied knowledge of the problem although the cobalt has the same electric steering and a recall has been issued. Having researched on the internet, I have seen numerous other complaints, and I see no reason for Chevy to wait until a serious accident occurs to recall these vehicles.

- Guymon, OK, USA

Dec 022010

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering goes out while driving down the road. If you stop turn off ignition then restart it will work again for a period of time then go out again. I called my dealer about the problem and they said it is common but there are no recalls. They stated that they would have to replace the whole steering column. I would have to pay for it.but keep my receipt to be reimbursed if there is a recall. Is anything being done about this problem" I watched a program last night were this is happening not just to the HHR but also the cobalt, and PT CRUISER. Why is the HHR not included in the recalls? they showed on the show that people are dyeing from this. One mother lost 2 daughters. My dealer says they know there is a problem but wont do anything about it. What can I do"

- Mcalester, OK, USA

Dec 242010

Power steering light comes on and lose power steering ability. Normal driving conditions. No excessive turning. Turn off car and it will be fine for a few miles and then do it again. Unable to steer vehicle very well when this happens.

- Tempe, AZ, USA