2006 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 18 of 20)

Nov 022009

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving at any speed, the vehicle would lose power steering without warning. The dealer and the manufacturer were notified of the failure and advised contact that his vehicle was not under recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was approximately 68,000. The failure mileage was approximately 65,000. Updated 02/23/11 updated 04/27/11

- Brooklyn, MD, USA

Dec 012010

2006 Chevrolet HHR steering motor randomly fails with no warning, causing the power steering to fail while driving. After restart, will work again for brief time. Happens frequently. Vehicle has less than 30,000 miles. Documentation exists online that this motor is the same one recalled on the Chevrolet cobalt, and that other are having the same failure. Has happened approximately 10-12 times over two weeks and a total mileage of about 40 miles.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 262010

HHR 4-cyl

While driving the car the power steering light comes on and makes turning almost impossible and dangerous when happening on the highways. It is now happening all of the time and I have only made one payment on the car!!!!!!!!!!!

- Kingman, AZ, USA

May 012010

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact heard a warning chime and the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. At that time, the steering wheel became stiff and difficult to turn. The contact pulled over and restarted the vehicle; it functioned properly. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 38,000 and the current mileage was approximately 52,000.. updated 02/23/11 updated 05/02/11

- Piqua, OH, USA

Nov 172010

Power steering fail while I was driving my 2006 HHR. Makes it hard to turn.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 152010

The power steering fails while the vehicle is in motion. When the vehicle is first powered on, power steering is present. It is unpredictable when the power steering will fail. In two incidents it almost caused accidents when failing. I do not have a large frame nor a lot of upper body strength that is able to make turns at low speeds, such as when turning or parking. If I am aware of the power steering failure I can compensate for it, but if it happens suddenly, it can be quite surprising. This is the same exact problem with the same exact component as the Chevy cobalt and the Pontiac G5, and I understand other vehicles are reporting this as well.

- Riverbank, CA, USA

Oct 112010

My electronic power steering doesn't work. My HHR is equipped with the same power steering assembly found in the cobalt which has a recall issued. Seems stupid to me that a lighter car would benefit from the recall, while I am now going to be stuck with a large repair bill. These units are from the same supplier.......recall all of these units on whatever vehicle the oem put them on.

- Iron Station, NC, USA

Nov 062010

Power steering fails while driving in my 2006 Chevy HHR. Making it very hard to steer.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Oct 292010

Power steering failed 2 times while on the road..having to replace the steering motor.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Oct 182010

HHR 4-cyl

Chevrolet HHR. Power steering comes and goes. It is all over the web Chevy owners are having the same problem.T his is a safety issue and should be addressed under a recall.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Sep 032010

2006 Chevy HHR lt, while driving at a posted speed of 45mph, daughter lost power steering sending her into the curb almost hitting another car then into the curb again. She was terrified by this incident. My husband went to pick her up and he drove the vehicle back to our house, and while on the highway at 65mph, again the power steering failed, and he almost crashed into the wall but was able to bring the vehicle to a stop within inches of crashing. The power steering light has now come on several times, and the steering has gone out while driving three times thus far. In addition the gear shift has become a problem again where it locks, and I have already had this replaced 3 times, each time lasting about a year before the problem reoccurs. I have read that several other 2006 models have been experiencing the same power steering problem, several of them resulting in accidents. Are they waiting for someone to be killed before expanding the recall to include the steering on the 2006 Chevy HHR?

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 032010

Turned on the ignition and the dashboard gauges all went out. Pulled the fuse and reinserted it - problem corrected. T/C indicator on instrument panel came on and the transmission was upshifting hard. Again, I removed and reinstalled the fuses and the problem went away. Power steering warning was displayed on the dash and the power steering was disabled. I removed and reinstalled the fuse associated with the power steering and the problem went away. I did notice that most of the fuses were mildly oxidized on one leg of each fuse.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Jul 312010

While driving on the highway at 65-70 mph my power steering shut off. The dash board dinged 3 times, got a message about the power steering and the needles on the mph and rpms were all over the place. The shifter is on the floor and will make a clicking noise like it's trying to find a gear or something. That happened on 7/31/10 and has happened 4 times since. This situation can happen at speeds. Car will also buck/jerk hard when trying to accelerate when this happens. I have given up driving the car as its not safe. I haven't gotten it fixed yet since I would like to see this problem recalled.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Jul 272010

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR lt with just 30K. Drove it off the lot with 3 miles and at 200 miles it had the rotors turned for the first of about 30 times. The steering wheel shudders when breaking or at speeds above 45 mph so much so that at times the car is hard to control. The answer to this very dangerous problem is..turn the rotors. "normal wear and tear" this is not acceptable to me anymore. My car has had issues with the shocks, the struts, the continued rotor problem, the steering wheel that shudders, and as of today, the power steering is going as well as the steering rack. The potential of me killing myself, my children, or the person next to me has become a reality. I have complained since practically driving it off the lot. GM just refuses to pay, or do anything about this. I have been in touch with the CEO of GM as well as the North America president mark reuss I have expressed my concerns with the safety of the HHR. And I have said that the answer is not to "just turn the rotors for the 35th time". there is something very wrong with this car, and it seems as though everyone that drives one has the same power steering, rotor, at the shudder of the steering wheel. I have plunked nearly 2K into a car that GM needs to be responsible for. An urgent recall needs to be issued or I see the potential of a Toyota problem on the horizon for GM and their Chevy HHR. I really believe it is going to take someone or maybe many to be injured or worse yet dead before GM will look into this further. The world headquarters told me yesterday that there are no other complaints like mine and I shouldn't believe what I read. They have closed my case and refuse to listen any longer. I know this is not my driving, I am not hard on the brakes, nor have I caused the rotors needing to be turned so many times on the lathe that they are like putting bicycle brakes on a freight train. Car is a bit too heavy to stop when you have rotors that are dangerously thin.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 062010

Traveling on 2 lane road at posted speed limit of 55 mph. Power steering failed without warning. Ability to steer vehicle greatly compromised. This was the second failure of power steering. First failure due to blown fuse. This failure the electronic power steering motor failed. Power steering motor replaced.

- Fleetwood, PA, USA

Jul 062010

Power steering fails while driving, turning the car off then back on temporarily fixes the issue. Sounds similar to recall on same year cobalt.

- Gray, GA, USA

Jul 052010

2006 HHR ls - driver's side door handle broke off with normal opening of the door. Could not get out of the car without putting window down and using the outside handle. If this was an emergency - I would have been stuck in the car. Power steering failure - power steering quits while driving - was going 55 mph. And the power steering just went off.. pulled to the side with difficulty - shut the car off. Restarted car - and the power steering was working again. Very dangerous situation.

- Phillipston, MA, USA

May 282010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While traveling 55 mph the contact noticed a chime noise inside the vehicle, seconds later the contact noticed that the vehicle no longer had power steering. The vehicle had not been diagnosed and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages was 63000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Jun 232010

2006 Chevy HHR, driving the car, the power steering indicator light came across the info screen, then power steering went out. Had to pull over turn the car off & restart, worked fine for a couple miles then it happened again, & now it happens all the time.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jun 182010

2006 Chevy HHR power steering failure. Lost power steering in a sharp curve. Immediate and with no advanced warning. Forced to shoulder and almost into a ditch. The warning message and chime worked but that doesn't help you control the vehicle!! fortunately I was driving this time. If my wife had been driving there is no way with her limited strength that we would have made it around the curve. I understand from the internet that this is a recurring problem for Hhrs and Chevy cobalts. They both use the same faulty power steering motor. Chevy has issued a recall onthe cobalts. Why not the HHR?

- Canton, GA, USA