2006 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 5 of 20)

Jul 022014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering failed and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Jul 072014

HHR 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR and on Sunday the power steering stopped working. I googled the problem and found a GM media release relating to the power steering. ( I checked with a couple of local dealerships and was advised that my VIN # was not listed in the recall. In the media release it clearly states that "in addition, 309,160 non-turbocharged Chevrolet Hhrs from the 2006-2008 model years (and several hundred 2009 models) and 96,324 Saturn ions from the 2003 model year that are not subject to these recalls will be given lifetime warranties for replacement of the electronic power steering motor." Even though my HHR is a non-turbo 2006 model, and my power steering is non-operable (has been repaired by cash payment by me) as described in the media release, for whatever reason I'm not included in the recall. I have no idea how VIN #'s are selected for a recall, but I feel since my vehicle apparently falls under the perimeters of the recall why is it not included. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am on a low fixed income. Regards

- Melbourne , FL, USA

Jul 192014

Driving down the I-80 at 75 miles per hour. Went to pull out to pass a semi truck, alarm went off, power steering showed on drivers instrument cluster. As I tried to move back into slower lane I noticed I had no power steering. At first exit I pulled off. Turn car off. After a shirt break restarted car to try to make it 20 miles to home thinking power steering was completely gone. To my surprise it was working again. Drove about 5 miles out again so I just keep going to home. Called GM customer service they stated I am not part of the recall issued on HHR's but I know there is a service bulletin on this issue.

- Hastings, NE, USA

Jul 172014

HHR 4-cyl

Taking a used car for a test drive, downshifting to stop at a light to take a right turn heard an alarm then the power steering illuminated on the dash. I told the salesman that it was hard steering and the light was on, he told me that it was just low on fluid. I got home and did some checking to find that it's electric power steering. Is there a problem with the motor or what" I put down a $2000 deposit which they say is non refundable. Are they liable to fix it before I leave the lot or do I wait for a recall"

- New Milford, CT, USA

May 202014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was a loss of power steering without warning. In addition, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was restarted and operated as normal. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. The VIN was not available.

- Redmond, OR, USA

Jul 022014

HHR 4-cyl

When I was driving, I heard alert from my car. Then I saw "power steering" on the screen. After that, I couldn't turn my power steering anymore. I only could drive straight ahead. It was dangerous, I felt lucky that it didn't happen on highways. My baby and my wife were in the car with me at that moment. I only saw GM recall 2009 and 2010 HHR, but not 2006. I hope GM will recall for 2006 HHR.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 032014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 20-60 mph, the power steering became extremely rough and the steering sensor illuminated. The steering wheel vibrated and became difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Jenkins, KY, USA

Jul 092014

This has been an ongoing problem with my 2006 HHR.I replaced solenoids and it stopped for a few years.I am sick of it I called Chevy years ago and they wanted me to pay to have it looked at with no guarantees, I already paid a mechanic hundreds and had a readout for them. I almost crashed into a semi truck exiting hwy one morning taking my daughter to school another exciting hwy also I have a list 2013/2014 now I was driving local and in the middle of turning power steering went out yet again. I was relaxed not ready for has been going on off and on for years. I replaced fuse as told and I thought it fixed the problem for a few weeks nothing.I could put down at least 10 dates when I have had close calls with this problem... I have read 1000's of complaints on power steering problems & shifter with 2006 HHR on different sites. Why has nothing been done? amazing a big company can get away with this.they wait until a person loses their life before they do anything.

- Forney , TX, USA

Jul 012014

HHR 4-cyl

I was taking my children to the dentist, so I was going to go over the mountain. I had just went through a very curvy road and was on a straight part when the power steering went out. I pulled over to see if I was leaking power steering fluid not realizing until later it is electronic. I turned the car of and back on. It was reset. I drove over the next part of the mountain slowly like 25 to 30 mph. I made it over the mountain on to the main highway. It went out again. I did the same thing pulled over turn the car off and on again. I did not get to drive but a couple of miles and it went out again. I made it to a country store and parked the car. I called my parents to see if they could come get us/ tow the car. They called the dealership who advised them that I drive the car back to them. Since I could not afford to pay to have it towed, I drove to the dealership. It went out again on the trip home 2 more times. I made it to the dealership taking the long way back not over the mountain. They could not find out if my car was on a recall list for the power steering. Since I am on the list for ignition problem, I am refusing to drive the car until it is fixed. My children and myself may have been killed or injured if the power steering had went out as I was driving over the mountain. Where I live the roads are curvy especially the mountain I went over! I really think the steering issue needs to be on recall before people are seriously hurt. The young generation have no experience driving without power steering and I thank the good lord I knew how to drive tractors without power steering.

- Covington, VA, USA

Jul 052014

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving my 2006 Chevy HHR to the store and as I was pulling in the dash read power steering and my power steering went out. I stop the car in the parking lot of the store and went in. I came back out and started and had no problem. I did not drive my car the next day. So Monday I was headed for work and was going down the highway and my power steering did the same thing. And almost caused a wreck. I pulled off the highway and took it nice and slow to work and had my car towed to the dealership to have the recalls fixed. I got my car back today (Tuesday July 8, 2014) and was not three blocks away from the dealership and power steering did it again. I started looking around on the internet and see where there is a recall for 2009-2011 Chevy HHR that are doing the same thing as my car. However I did see that more 2006 Chevy Hhrs are doing the same thing and would like for to you look into the fact that this could be a recall also. I truly believe it is.

- Tecumseh, OK, USA

Jan 142014

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering goes in and out while driving the same issue as the other power steering recalls don't understand why this model year was not on the recall list. It is very dangerous to be driving and the power steering goes out due to the fact that it is electrical. Please consider putting this on the recall list as well, several other Chevy HHR owners are having the same issues.thank you very much.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 152014

HHR 4-cyl

Making turn into parking lot hear a ding and not steering, after shut off car and motor cools the steering works happen again a few times sometimes going straight sometimes making turns, car is not safe to drive.

- Richmond, TX, USA

May 052014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering assist failed and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The failure continued to occur intermittently for a period of two months. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Supply , NC, USA

Jun 232014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering is shutting off while the car is being driven. This has happened on all road types and speeds with the last incident accruing while my 19 year old child was driving the car in a residential area while in the process of actually making a turn. I am told by the local Chevrolet repair shop that the power assist motor needs to be replaced. This is the mechanism that has been recalled in the Chevy cobalt. Why has the 06 HHR not been added to the recall?

- Sorrento, FL, USA

Jun 062014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering motor kicked out caused loss of power steering. The loss of power steering causes issues while driving making the car very difficult to drive.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Jun 182014

HHR 4-cyl

We were on vacation at ft. Myers, fl, on the highway, going 70 mph and the ding-ding-ding sound went off and we lost power steering. If I would have been driving I would have crashed as I have weak arms from a neck injury. My husband was able to steer it without the power steering as he is strong. The steering would come back on then go back off erratically. We got the car back home to Mississippi and put it in a garage on Monday, 23 June 2014 at 9:30. I missed work to do that and am presently still waiting on turan foley to get the power steering unit to my mechanic who ordered it Tuesday 24 June 2014. Today is 27 June 2014. This was a very dangerous situation. We had been notified that our ignition switch must be replaced and have been waiting 3 months on the part. I called turan foley and spoke with the parts lady about the power steering to see if I could get a car in the waiting time. She said no as the 2006 power steering for HHR's has not been recalled. I inquired about the ignition switch I've been waiting 3 months for and she looked in her records and said she'd notified us by letter and phone 3 June 2014 the part was in. She did not send us a letter or notify me or my husband by phone. There is no record whatsoever that we were notified. We would have fixed it before vacation as we've been very concerned about this. GM has some very dangerous parts of the car malfunctioning-in my case my power steering and possible ignition switch defects. I will have to pay my mechanic $310 for the power steering. I am very unhappy with the GM product, my HHR 2006 model. GM has done a great disservice to their loyal customers. I used to be one.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Dec 032012

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering stopped working while making a left hand turn.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 032014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering goes in and out. Stop the car and restart the engine and it resets and steering works. Power steering quits at inopportune times. This could result in a major accident. GM is recalling cars with similar power steering issues but not the HHR.

- Norman, OK, USA

May 082008

HHR 4-cyl

Air bag light come on in the passage set when know one in the set.the steering made funny popping noise. An all the door handle broke where you could not get out of the auto. And the car show on car fax that it is a buy back auto. But GM say it not. And one of the handle is breaking on the driver side. And I can not sale it because it show as a buy back.tdmv say it was and then they change there mind. I fill like someone at GM pay them off. I know this has been a long time but I still have the car. And I am still looking for help.I will keep a copy for my record.

- Wharton, TX, USA

Jun 022014

2006 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall and power steering and other vehicle problems. The consumer stated two days after getting the vehicle back from the dealer, the vehicle had to be flat-bedded back to the dealer, because it wouldn't start. It was determined the ignition switch needed to be replaced. Also, the right passenger outside mirror fell off, the right passenger wiper arm broke, the rotors were replaced twice in two years, and the rear shocks were replaced.

- Kirkville, NY, USA