2006 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 7 of 20)

May 012014

HHR 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle power steering and starter failure. Consumer seeks financial assistance.

- Silsbee, TX, USA

Oct 252013

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR that I bought used in November 2012 with 92,000 miles. Over a 6 month period with the first incident happening in October 2013 at 108,000 miles, I have had 3 separate incidents where the power steering goes out. I haven't had it happen on the road, but it has happened to me either when I'm in a parking lot or pulling out or in my driveway. The most recent incident I had of this was yesterday (May 5, 2014) at 115,000 miles. The issue seems to be caused from turning the steering wheel fast or you steer from far right to far left (or vice versa) as the issue always occurs mid turn. While I'm fortunate that this happened at low speeds, I'm concerned about this due to I live in a mountainous area. Also, I noticed that there is a recall on 2006 Chevy cobalts and Saturn ions and after doing some research, I found that the cobalt and HHR share many of the same parts, including the steering mechanism. Also, the 2009 and newer HHR's have a steering recall for the same issue with the power steering going out with no warning. I do believe this is a huge safety concern and some sort of action needs to be taken about this.

- Dahlonega, GA, USA

May 022011

HHR 4-cyl

Something is very wrong here! over the past few years I have had the power steering fail on three instances! the last one, just a couple of weeks ago occurred while pulling out of parallel parking space at about 10 mph. Almost hit the car 2 spaces in front of me! why was there a recall back in 2010 for the cobalts with the same ps motor and not the HHR" now the current recall does not include the earlier Hhrs" GM has tried to hide these and other issues. I believe NHTSA was ineffective and complacent due to government ownership status and trying to protect their investment. If the real truth were known, head would roll and people imprisoned!

- Norfolk, VA, USA

May 032013

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering goes out while driving, multiple..I had to turn it off then back time I was driving in the middle of a turn the power steering went out and the vehicle hit a curb. I paid out off pocket to get the steering fixed.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 132014

HHR 4-cyl

Spouse made turn at stop sign and steering became difficult almost running into curb. Chime sounded and dash light came on. Managed to get to Chevrolet garage and verification of steering problem. Steering motor replaced at a cost of $300+. not on recall list despite number of incidents. GM covers some of these but not this model"???"

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Feb 212014

HHR 4-cyl

I was exiting off the highway and came to a stop at the first intersection. As I turned the corner, I heard a "ping" and then the power steering went out. The words "power steering" appeared on the dashboard. The power steering has not been working properly since.

- Stevens Point, WI, USA

Apr 072011

HHR 4-cyl

There is agm recall for the ps on Chevy HHR's but only for the 2009-2010 model years. I have a 2006 HHR and am having the same problem with my steering with the steering light coming on all the time. Now I have replaced the power steering motor as GM recommended and thje steering light still comes on everyday 3 4 or 5 times and I loose power steering while it is on. This is a safety issue and I feel that the 2006 model year should be part of that recall.

- Kent, WA, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Olive Hill, KY, USA

Jul 022013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the power steering assist suddenly malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become difficult to turn. A warning bell sounded as the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact turned the vehicle off and once restarted, the vehicle would operate normally for a short period before the failure would recur. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Apr 262014

HHR 5-cyl

Excessive steering wheel vibration at highway speeds, and on city streets signal light stay on when turning into another street that your have to manually turn off signal lights( this has being a problem since I purchase, documented by local Chevy dealer). I believe this cars have problems with their entire steering column not just their ignition switch.

- Manchester, CT, USA

Jun 272011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while making a right turn at unknown speeds, the steering wheel became very hard to maneuver. The contact turned the vehicle off and restarted it and it resumed normal function. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 180,000. Updated 06/17/14

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 232014

HHR 4-cyl

As I was coming to a stop at a stop light. The power steering displayed and the power steering went away. It was hard to steer and after I stopped and turned off the ignition and started the vehicle again then the power steering was working again.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Apr 022014

I was driving my car and all of a sudden the dash board made a tone, it said "power steering" on the instrument panel and I lost all power steering. It was extremely difficult to turn the car and after getting it stopped, I turned the ignition off, sitting there for a few minutes I restarted the car and their was no issues until I backed out, then it did it again. I ended up sitting their for a while longer (aprox 15 minutes) and restarted the car again, backed out of the parking place and was able to drive off with no problem's. since then I have not had another incident with the power steering. I notified Chevrolet the next day and they said my car wasn't in the recall so, they were not going to do anything to fix it.

- Leland , IL, USA

Apr 222014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Portland, OR, USA

Apr 072011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering assist malfunctioned. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 112010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 3 mph in reverse, there was an immediate loss of power steering with the illumination of the warning indicator. The contact was able to resume in drive with pressure applied forcefully to the steering wheel. The failure recurred whenever the engine was operable. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Jonesville, LA, USA

Jul 012013

HHR 4-cyl

Shortly after we purchased our, 06 Chevrolet HHR, in May 2013, my fiance, infant child and I was out looking at homes to possibly purchase. When suddenly, without warning, the power steering light came on and I lost all control of the car. I came to a sudden stop against the curbside to avoid hitting anything or anyone. Until now, I had no knowledge as to why that happened. I see that many Chevrolet HHR owners has experienced the same thing with their vehicle. I want to know why GM has not recalled these cars for repairs along with the other vehicles for the same issues. We have experienced everything that has been listed as a condition of defects found in our car.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Apr 172014

HHR 4-cyl

On April 17, 2014 I started my 2006 Chevrolet HHR by remote to warm it up. After it was warmed up I got in it to drive to work. The car was really jerking bad then the indicator light came on and had power steering on it. I was still in the apartment complex drive so I turned it around and managed to go back to my parking space and parked it. This morning I decided to try and drive my car again. I managed to get to work that is only 2 1/2 miles from where I live. I was driving under 30 mph since I drive through town to get to work. As soon as I turned into my workplace's parking lot the power steering indicator light came on again. I parked the car and turned it off then back on. The power steering indicator light was still on and now the steering wheel is locked up. I have read several complaints about this problem with other Hhrs but the year 2006 is not on recall while 2009 and 2010 is for this problem.

- Frankfort, IN, USA

Apr 172014

HHR 4-cyl

Turned the ignition key on to start the car and proceeded to back out of a parking space. I discovered that it seemed unusually difficult to turn the steering wheel. I looked at my instrument dash panel and it displayed that there was a problem with my power steering. I pulled back into my parking stall, turned off my ignition and restarted the car but had the same problem. I next turned off the ignition, moved the key in the ignition keyway a bit and then restarted the car again. This seemed to solve the problem. The "power steering problem" was cleared from the computer read out on the dash panel and I was able to easily steer the car again. Upon further investigation I learned that this particular problem has to do with a faulty electric power steering assist motor installed in many GM vehicles, some of which have already been recalled. This could develop into a very serious situation should this incident happen to occur when one least expects it to, especially while traveling at higher speeds.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Apr 142014

HHR 4-cyl

Started the car and began to pull out of the drive and the power steering is not working, it had been just fine the day before. The car now steers like a 1960's car with manual steering.

- Ravenna, OH, USA