2006 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 9 of 20)

Feb 032014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering randomly keeps turning off.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Mar 122014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering has become intermittent. Upon restart it's fine and then goes out periodically between 2 and 30 minutes after each restart. Anyone who needs power steering to drive, not just a convenience, would have a very hard physical time making a 90 degree turn, especially if the steering went out while making the turn.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Mar 182014

HHR 4-cyl

This incident is identical to NHTSA action number : PE10005 which is for the Chevrolet cobalt/Pontiac G5. My power steering gave out, the driver information center said power steering and there was a chime. The power steering was restored when I restarted the car. This problem has occurred 3 times so far. The first time in the morning after a 20 minute drive, while stopped at a stop sign. Then again in the morning after 20 minutes of driving on a highway at 45 mph while in a curve. Then again in the evening on straight highway going 65 mph after only 5 miles of driving. I see this problem was recalled for the above mentioned cars. My HHR is experiencing the same problem, and Chevy HHR forums show other Hhrs are experiencing this problem along with the Saturn ion.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Mar 182014

HHR 4-cyl

This has happened a few times with this vehicle, usually at speeds in excess of 50 mph. When being cut off by another vehicle, hitting the brake hard and steering away from the offending vehicle cause the HHR to fishtail and get very squirrelly. It just starts going back and forth in a rocking motion and only settles down by taking my foot off the brake. It feels like the car could easily go into a roll over. I have had it inspected by les schwab and they replaced the struts and shocks, but saw no real problems. This latest incident occurred many months after that work was completed, so that apparently was not part of the problem. It will also occasionally give me a shimmy in the steering wheel when decelerating from a moderate speed. However, that does not occur most of the time... rotors appear to be fine.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Apr 062011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering malfunctioned causing the steering wheel to become hard to maneuver. The contact mentioned that the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 200,000.

- Jonesville, LA, USA

Nov 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the power steering assist would suddenly malfunction making it very difficult to turn the steering wheel. In addition, the vehicle would sporadically stall. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic but the failure was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Franklin, LA, USA

Oct 072011

HHR 4-cyl

Gear shifter pin broke & now won't lock in gear. The key cannot be removed except by removing a cap on the steering column & pressing a release button. Defective gear shifter pin. ------------------------------------- I went home & tried to take my key out but it would not release so since the car would not turn completely off the battery died. I found out on the internet that this has happened to thousands of people. I found out how to remove the plug on the steering column to press the release to take out the key. The gear shifter will not lock so it is easy for it to slip into neutral or out of park & roll away. I don't have the $500 they said it will take to fix it so I have to live with it. I always have to make sure to lock my emergency brake & have to hit the release to take my key out. This is dangerous & so wrong of GM not to recall this when so many have had this problem. This is their defect & not the customers.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Mar 092014

While driving, suddenly the warning alarm dinged and power steering appeared on the notification window. Power steering was suddenly not there, just as I was entering a construction zone with lane realignment. I pulled over, turned off the car and let it sit for a minute. When I restarted it, the power steering worked. It stayed for about 5 minutes before the error returned. This pattern repeated throughout the day, regardless of speed or amount of turns. A quick google search to prepare me for a call to the mechanic on Monday showed this seems to be a not-uncommon issue.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Mar 072012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, a warning indicator illuminated with the loss of power steering assist. The engine was shut off however, the failure continued after restarting. The failure recurred twenty times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who indicated that there was a malfunction with the power steering motor. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Britain, CT, USA

Jul 072012

HHR 4-cyl

I took my 2006 HHR to the dealership and was told my car was not part of the recall. My car has exhibited the same problems as those described, but I was told the dealership would not look at my vehicle. I do not understand why my HHR is not part of the recall while others are. I did not see where there was a distinction between some 2006 HHR and others. The power steering goes out in my vehicle on a regular basis.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Feb 282014

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and stopped at a drive thru coffee shop. After receiving my order and drove off, I lost my power steering. My power steering light came on and I continued driving home. Thankfully, I only live a couple of miles away, though driving home was difficult. While turning on one street, I almost hit a car, as it was very difficult making a turn. I took my car to the dealership and they have to replace the power steering motor which will cost me $312 dollars. I am upset that the manufacturer will not admit to the faulty motor, as I have read many complaints dealing with the same issue. Please look into this, I am concerned that this could cause an accident if not addressed.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Feb 072014

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering just goes out. If you turn the ignition off then turn the ignition back on the power steering comes back on. The power steering will just go out randomly.we thought this would be covered under our extended warranty, but they say it's not. The mechanic says it's the steering column and the powersteering module. Cost of repair will be about 1100 dollars. 2006 HHR.

- Forestpark, GA, USA

Nov 212012

Electric power steering will turn off while driving. After a few minutes it will turn on. On warmer days it stays of and on cold days it will cycle on and off. Chevy recalled two other models with the same frame style. Cobalt and Pontiac G6. My HHR is not on the list. Ignition will not turn to run position on cold days. Have to wiggle and play with key for minutes to turn.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 192014

HHR 4-cyl

My car started giving me a charging system warning light. I had it checked, with no findings. The car stopped on me several times, yet always check out okay. The last time the battery was shorted, so I replaced it. The next day the car stopped while I was driving it. I had it towed to a shop, where it started up fine and didn't show anything on diagnostic. When I went to pick it up it started and then shorted out the computer. The computer was replaced, it started up, then started smoking and shorted out the new computer. I want to note that approximately two years ago, the power steering went out and shorted out the charging system, twice. It was repaired at Chevrolet in bakersfield.

- Chino, CA, USA

Feb 062014

My power steering went out as I was leaving a parking garage. My driving was greatly impaired on the way home.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jan 092014

HHR 4-cyl

When driving after making a turn the electrical power steering went out. This occurs about every other day when driving vehicle. There has been a recall on the 2005 Chevy HHR's for the electric power steering motor going out I think it should apply to the 2006 model because it is the exact same thing happening.

- Lago Vista, TX, USA

Feb 082014

HHR 4-cyl

Steering assist went out. Message on dash display alerted me as well. Could restart the car, and the problem went away. I understand this has occurred on many HHR's, and cobalts, and the cobalt has a recall.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jan 232014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving 25 mph and making a right turn, the contact stated that the power steering assist failed and the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The failure recurred arbitrarily. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,500.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 012014

I was stopped at a light to make a right turn and the warning for the power steering came on. It then became difficult to steer. When I started the HHR up almost 8 hours later, it drove fine. I don't want to be involved in a wreck because my power steering goes out.

- Northport, AL, USA

Jan 142014

The power steering message comes on and the power steering goes out. It's very hard to steer the wheel. I have to find a place to pull over and re-start the car. Today it I had to re-start it 3 times on a short trip to the store and back. I feel this is a very dangerous safety issue. It happens without warning. Luckily I was in town to pull over, but even that was a hard with traffic and trying to find a place to pull over. If I was on the highway, it would have been really dangerous, because I wouldn't have any control. In searching the internet I found this is a common problem, but its not being recalled even though this part has been recalled in the ion, Malibu and cobalt and the HHR in Canada. If this is a faulty part, I shouldn't have to pay for it. So please re-call this part.

- Tracy, CA, USA