2007 Chevrolet HHR drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 302012

HHR

While idling, the power steering light came on and when I moved forward there was no power steering, I reached a destination and cut the car off. The power steering came back on when I restarted the car some time later. It worked okay for a day or so then began to go off and on while driving. Now it is more off than on. The Chevy HHR has the same power train as the Chevy cobalt which is under recall. I contacted a dealer this morning who said there is not a recall at this time for the HHR.

- Wakefield, VA, USA

Sep 272011

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the transmission gear shift would move freely and would not lock while in park. Also, the vehicle would refuse to shut off and the key could not be removed from the ignition. The dealer repaired the failure. The manufacturer denied any assistance with repairs. The failure and current mileage was 73,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 102011

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler HHR. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked on an incline and rolled away, crashing into a pole. The dealer was not notified of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure yet the vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The current and failure mileages were unknown.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Mar 142011

HHR

I put my car in park and could not pull my key out of the ignition. I turned the car on and off and shifted gears attempting to release the key. This did not work. It progressively had gotten worse over a few days intermittently I was able to release the key until the final day. I read others complaints and used the release under the steering column as suggested and it worked, I was able to release the key. Now I guess I have to take it to the dealer to be fixed. This should be covered under warranty or recalled since so many people are having the same issues.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jan 072011

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that he was unable to remove the key from the ignition. He depressed an unknown switch under the steering column and was finally able to remove the key. The manufacturer was contacted and referred him to the dealer for further assistance. The dealer replaced the shifter assembly. The failure mileage was 32,600 and the current mileage was 32,700. Updated 12/19/11 the consumer stated the problem was the gear shift control. When the micro safety switch was inoperative, the gear shift lever may be moved from park all the way through the other gears. If the emergency brake was not set, the vehicle would move. Updated 02/04/15

- Greenville, SC, USA

Dec 172010

HHR

2007 Chevrolet HHR the shifter will not lock into gear and key is stuck in ignition. This is a major safety hazard as seeing while you are driving you can go into any gear at anytime if it is accidentally bumped which can cause a major accident. I had to unhook the battery to turn everything off since the key will not come out of ignition.

- Breckenridge, MI, USA

Nov 272010

HHR

I have a 2007 Chevy HHR. I am taking it to the Chevy dealer for the 3rd time for a check engine light and it running in reduced power mode - which seems very unsafe to drive. I have had the throttle switch replaced, the connector replaced and the wiring checked. The RPM happens randomly which is very very unsafe on 45 mph roads. I thought this was fixed - twice - but ended up not being able to pick up speed and could have been hurt if I had been rear -ended.I have checked several online forums (www.chevyhhr.net) and this is a very common problem.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jun 242009

HHR

Driver was leaving parking lot when passenger side (right front) cv shaft broke completely in half at 35,440 miles without warning. Cv shaft could be heard slapping around under car while motor running in gear, probably tearing up other components under the hood and suspension. The cv shaft breakage left the vehicle under no power because passenger wheel is the drive wheel....vehicle started to roll backwards into traffic. Also, the vehicle's steering wheel also had no ability to be turned to the left due to the broken cv shaft blocking it by shaft hitting the wheel/heat shield/rotor assy. Owner had to push car backwards out of traffic and into parking lot. Vehicle would still rolled while in park, had to use parking brake to make vehicle stationary. I waited 2.5hrs for GM road side assistance to get tow truck to my vehicle. 1st tow truck didn't come due to GM not checking to see how far they were from vehicle location. Vehicle was towed to jba Chevrolet (glen burnie, md) on June 25th, 09 (next day). I went to dealership to check on car and get loaner. Jba offered no loaner stating that service dept not open and they must diagnose first and wait until Monday and then maybe I get a loaner. Also GM cust asst 1-800 number stated I could rent and get reimburse but I don't trust GM and money at all after seeing how others treated about and how poorly they manage their own money. This cv shaft incident happened 1 week after getting car back from dealership for brake overheating/warping and heat shield grinding problem. The mechanic then stated he knew brakes were cheaply made and problem but no recall and if over 36,000 miles...they won't be free anymore.... cv shaft looked to be made of cheap aluminum cast and I believe same heat problem that made caused rotor to warp, caused cv shaft to become brittle. Either this or components were reinstalled incorrectly by jba Chevrolet when they repaired brake problem.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Jun 232008

HHR

I purchase a 2007 Chevrolet HHR in October 2007. It has been in the shop 3 times for key getting stuck in the ignition and failure to start. The dealer has replace gear shaft, floor shift. The first time car was put in shop they could not diagnose the problem. Spoke with General Motors and filed a claim, but they will not admit to any defect to the vehicle. My vehicle has just reached over the 40,000 mile warranty therefore GM will not repurchase but offered GM owners loyalty certificate for $1700 towards the purchase of another GM vehicle. Just bought the car, upside down $1700 does not even touch the tip of the iceberg for an obvious defect and safety issue with the car. When the problems happens again and it will it will be a lemon. Will use all of the remedies that the state has to offer.

- Houston, TX, USA