2007 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 10 of 18)

Jan 012014

HHR 4-cyl

The steering wheel is hard to move.

- Barceloneta, PR, USA

Mar 032014

HHR 4-cyl

At various speeds and after various amounts of time the power steering indicator will come on and the power steering wheel fail.. this can usually be relieved by turning car off and back on.. this is happening almost daily.

- Elkview, WV, USA

Mar 152014

HHR

3 days ago my powersteering kept going out.unsafe almost hit somebody..and now today my car smells like gas when I start it..fire..fire..fire..please recall these.

- Racine, WI, USA

Mar 132014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the it was found that the power steering module had failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Jul 152013

HHR 4-cyl

Driving down the freeway, the on board computer dings and a message appears on the dash that my power steering is out. It doesn't lock it up but it becomes extremely hard to steer. I stopped at a auto parts store to get power steering fluid only to find out there is not fluid, it uses an electric motor. Starting the car must reset the electronics, it worked fine for several months. It is now happening quite frequently and I feel it a very dangerous situation. In checking on the internet, it is a very common problem with the car. My understanding is that Chevrolet recalled the cobalt for the same issue, but not the HHR, even though both are basically the same.

- Justice, IL, USA

Mar 042014

HHR

Driving getting onto on ramp to interstate. It is very difficult to turn with no power steering around the turn. And of course there was two more ramps to go around. Turned off the car to get gas and the power steering came back and the power steering light went off. Have been reading the other posts and I guess I'm not alone. I just hope that this is covered under a recall so it can be fixed right.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 262013

HHR

As I am driving the power steering indicator warning comes on and the power steering goes out. Once I stop the car and restart it the power steering is fine. This can happen after driving for a while or after driving for 5 minutes. One day it happened 4 times within 15 minutes.

- Paramount , CA, USA

Dec 022013

HHR

Making a left or right turn, I lose power steering, if I turn the car off the power steering will come back for a while, then I lose the power steering again. It is hard for me to turn the wheel I have carpal tunnel, elbow and shoulder and neck and lower back pain already.

- Compton, CA, USA

Feb 142014

HHR 4-cyl

Electric power steering failed, steering wheel became hard to turn, requiring significantly added muscular strength to maintain directional stability and to turn and maneuver the vehicle in traffic. Power steering function restored and normal operation restored by stopping the vehicle, turning off the motor, and electrical system, then restarting the motor. This happened several times on the trip home, distance less than 3 miles. Restored power steering failed again within 30 to 120 seconds of each restart. Outside air temperature was below freezing, vehicle operated on paved highway in good condition.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Feb 072014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering assist failed without warning while he was attempting a turn. The contac turned the vehicle off and once restarted, the power steering assist was functioning properly for a shirt time before the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jan 272014

HHR

The powersteering will go out as I am driving. Very unsafe!! warning will come on after the power steering goes out. If I shut the car off I will get the power steering back temporarily, but then it goes back out again. I see I am not the only one on here with the same complaint.

- Shamong, NJ, USA

Dec 102013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving at various speeds the power steering will turn off leaving the vehicle extremely difficult to steer. Although the warning message does come advising of the incident there is absolutely no warning. If I stop the vehicle and turn the ignition off and then restart the car, the power steering will return to normal for several minutes but will eventually turn off again. This had led to a couple close calls since when the power steering is off the vehicle is very hard to steer at lower speeds such as trying to park or around sharp curves. I have taken it to 2 different mechanics and both have stated that the power steering on this vehicle is a sealed system and they can't even check the fluid level and that it must be taken to the dealer for service. I find it absolutely unacceptable that Chevrolet would make a vehicle that has no means of checking the fluid levels on something as critical as the power steering assembly.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Feb 052013

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering failure light came on dash and was extremly hard to steer, this has happened numerous times, progressively getting worse, checked with dealer no recall on HHR however there is a recall on the cobalt with same problem.

- Jemison, AL, USA

Jan 182014

HHR

I was driving about 45 mph and the power steering just went out. The light sounded and power steering light came up on the dash. The wheel was very hard to turn. When I stopped and turned the car off and back on again, it started working again. I searched online what the problem was and found that this is happening a lot on HHR models. I saw where many of the Chevy models have been recalled for this same reason and even the HHR in Canada but not in the usa. I find this very dangerous. Please recall the 2007 HHR for this problem. I fear driving my car now.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jan 172014

HHR 4-cyl

Driving on highway, 70mph, power steering simply went off. Pulled off onto another road, stopped at a nearby Chevy dealership, turned car off to ask for service, when car was pulled in to be looked at, power steering worked again.

- Odessa, MO, USA

Dec 092013

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling 5 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 77,000.

- Alexandria, MN, USA

Nov 142011

HHR

My clutch went out and the car stopped working gas I was driving along the highway. It was not during a shift, just acceleration. The clutch did the exact same thing on December 23, 2013 (mileage about 115,000). I have driven manual transmissions previously and have gone well over 100K miles without replacing the clutch and I am now on my 3rd clutch. I know there is a tsb on a possible bad flywheel (which was not replaced either time), but a clutch to go out twice on a car that has seen for the last 55K almost all highway miles indicates there is a problem with the car.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Dec 312013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving and turning cuts out and is very hard to turn I almost had an accident please do something about this problem with this type of cars.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Dec 172013

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that as she parked, the power steering warning light illuminated. Several hours later, the contact attempted to drive the vehicle but the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the power steering column and motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,954.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Dec 092013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact was driving 40 mph when the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection and was advised that the power steering motor would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 35246. Updated 02/11/14 updated 02/12/14

- Berlin, MD, USA