2007 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 11 of 18)

Dec 162013

HHR

Power steering assist motor stopped working and the dic showed "power steering". engine was stopped and restarted to resolve the issue. The issue appears to happen at random speeds and at random intervals, and once the dic warning is showing steering is extremely difficult. The issue has occurred at least a dozen times in the last ~2 weeks.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 012013

HHR

On multiple occasions I lost power steering lasting approximately 2-5 seconds. Occasionally the "power steering" light would register on the dashboard. I brought my vehicle to the dealership and they could not find any problem. Over the next 3 months I would lose power steering approximately one to two times a day. It would happen at speeds from 10-60 miles an hour, while turning right or left, and any change in the surface of the road. I brought my car to my local mechanic and they stated that there was voltage going in but not out. I had the power steering motor replaced. I have read multiple articles on this problem. I feel rather lucky since my power steering would return within 5 seconds. Many reports have people having to restart their vehicles to reset the system. I also feel very lucky that I was not involved in any accidents. This is a very dangerous situation to be in. From my understanding, the cobalt had a recall on their power steering motor and is the same motor in the HHR. I hope that there is some consideration in recalling this motor in the HHR.

- Powell, TN, USA

Dec 042013

HHR

I was crossing a large parking lot, and saw the words power steering appear in the information display under my speedometer. When I tried to turn a corner to get to the exit drive, I found I had no power steering. I was able to manually steer the car, but with only with extreme difficulty. I drove to a nearby garage, turned the car off, explained my problem to the mechanics, and when we turned the car back on, the steering was back to normal. I see this problem is also happening in other GM cars: Saturn ion, Chevrolet cobalt, Pontiac G5, Pontiac G4, and Pontiac pursuit. General Motors issued a recall in 2010 for 2005-2010 Chevrolet cobalt, 2007-2010 Pontiac G5, 2005-2006 Pontiac pursuit (Canada only), 2005-2006 Pontiac G4 (Mexico only), and is extending a 100,000 mile/10 year warranty on Saturn ions for this problem. Why is GM not recalling or extending warranties for affected Hhrs" Canada's recall included 2006-2010 HHR as well as 2003-2007 Saturn ion. Why doesn't the us's recall include them" according to us recall news, when the 2010 recall was issued, "there were 16 complaints with the NHTSA for the 2009 Pontiac G5 which included two separate injuries and one reported death." On December 4, 2013, I found over 140 complaints about the loss of power steering assist in Hhrs on the internet (), two of which stated that the loss of power steering assist caused them to crash. Why is a recall not being issued to prevent more serious crashes or possible fatalities?

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Jan 092013

HHR

I had to replace left and right control arms on this vehicle, brakes constantly can't unlock doors from inside, have to roll down window to unlock, now having engine problems and one of the control arms going bad again.plus something is causing rain to get in my car somewhere, because when it rains at smells mildewy.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 262013

HHR 4-cyl

As I was driving home on the highway, the power steering light went on and then I lost power steering. I pulled it over to the side of the road and turned the car off. After waiting a few minutes, I turned the car back on. It was fine - for a bit. During my 21 mile commute, this happened 4 times. Every time, I lost power steering, pulled the car to the side of the road, and turned it off. Each time I turned it on, it was fine for a bit. This is very unsafe due to the lack of steering - it felt like I was driving a tractor each time this happened and turning corners was very difficult. Once I got home, we checked the owner's manual and it stated that when this happens, the electronic power steering device is faulting. We checked on the internet to find out how to purchase that part and discovered that there are several reports claims that the 2007-2009 HHR and cobalts have this same issue. So, we called and purchased a part from the Chevrolet dealership in elburn. I asked them about how to make a complaint and I was led to discuss this with GM and make a complaint. Then, I am making a complaint with your company as well.

- Sugar Grove, IL, USA

Nov 192013

HHR 4-cyl

Steering is not correct. Steering wheel jerks when brakes applied. Have had it checked by 2 mechanics and local GM dealer ship. Recommend replacing at large expense. Have researched this problem and it is very common and many cases much more severe. Recall for this problem done on Chevy cobalt which shares same steering system. Why not HHR?

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Oct 312013

HHR

The powersteering message displayed on the dash and the wheel locked up on the expressway, luckily I was able to pull over to the side of the road so that it would not cause an accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 012013

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized accompanied by the illumination of the power steering alarm and warning light. The contact shut off the vehicle and once restarted, the steering wheel returned to normal function for several minutes before the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who replaced the powers steering module however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 57,500 and the current mileage was 73,804.

- Claypool , AZ, USA

Oct 182013

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, a chime sounded inside of the vehicle with the illumination of the power steering warning indicator. There was also a sudden loss of power steering assist. The engine was turned off and after restarting, the power steering operated normally for only a few moments. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect and advised the contact that there was not a recall related to the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 49,550.

- Milton , FL, USA

Oct 082013

HHR 4-cyl

When I start my car, it seems to drive ok, but within seconds, sometimes minutes, I hear a "click" from under the steering column, and suddenly my steering wheel goes "hard". at first it seemed to only do it occasionally, but now almost every time I get in the car, the power steering goes out. I have almost gotten into accidents because of this happening. Called the local dealer and they say there are no recalls on this model, but have heard that some similar GM cars are recalled for the same problem.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Sep 192013

HHR 4-cyl

Driving on the highway and the vehicle chimes and the instrument panel reads "power steering", the vehicle loses power steering and the steering wheel gets very hard to turn. It is very unnerving when this happens. The problem is sporadic and it has been starting to happen more often. When it occurs I will pull off the side of the road and shut the car off and it will normally work fine for a day or two, but the past couple of days it goes right back out and it won't work. I really want to have this issue repaired but I just started a new job and I really can't afford it just yet, I think GM should seriously consider a recall because this could be a very dangerous problem for someone who is not strong enough to steer the vehicle when this occurs.

- Easton, PA, USA

Jun 192013

HHR

I have a 2007 Chevy HHR and few months ago my traction control light come on and engine light. Then shortly after my power steering went out. The power steering has been going out periodically...last time was on a exit ramp on the curve. I almost put it in the ditch. I understand that the cobalt had recalls on these items but not the HHR. Which makes no sense because of the same chassis and all. I took it to ed schidmt Chevy in perrysburg Ohio and they said I need a steering column (because power steering module is in column), power steering motor, camshaft valve actuators, left lower control arm, and front struts. I have read a lot of internet forums and there has been many complaints on same issues. Chevy should take care of this. Dealership wants $2300+ for the repairs.

- Monclova, OH, USA

Apr 102013

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving various speeds a chime sounded inside of the vehicle with an immediate loss of power steering. The warning indicator illuminated during the same time of the malfunction. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle it operated normally. The failure recurred sporadic and over a period of time became a constant occurrence. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Aug 312012

HHR

Lost power in the steering as I went to make a turn. Had difficulty turning steering wheel. Next morning steering was back to normal.today (09-090-2013) I am having the same steering problem.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Sep 062013

HHR

Power steering turns off with no warning, the words "power steering" appear on the driver information console

- Douglaston, NY, USA

Aug 292013

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering goes out without warning. It started on a Thursday and we changed out the relay and that seemed to work. Two days later, it went out again. It was over heating the relay. This issue with power steering can cause an accident or kill someone. I google problems with HHR and there are plenty of issue. We, HHR owners, need some assistance. My family has been buying GM vehicle, as long as I can remember.

- Greenback, TN, USA

Aug 222013

HHR

I bought my car a week ago. Drove it home with no incident. Then drove it was on the highway to take my elderly mother to an airport 40 miles away. After seeing her off, I went to get my new car washed. Then got back onto the I-5 and drove about 3 miles, when I heard a tone and the dash board under the speedometer lit up, stating I had lost power steering. I was in the middle lane of six lanes, going 60 miles an hours in a brand new to me car I was not used to driving, in congested commuter traffic. I am not strong. I was scared out of my mind. Luckily I was on a straight away. I put on my hazard lights and people eventually let me over. I took the next off ramp and managed my way home on frontage roads and side streets, which of course took forever. Arriving home I turned the ignition off and cried with relief and frustration. Then I turned the ignition back on to see what the message on the dash was again and it was gone. I'm terrified to drive this car again. And everything thing I've read online since, said that if the shop doesn't see the message or duplicate the problem, they can't fix it, equalling money wasted. This problem is not new, highly dangerous and recalled in at least one of Chevrolet's other cars and recalled on the HHR in Canada. Why not here"?? aren't americans as valuable as canadians??? please make this a recall and contact me when you do. I have a car I can't drive without fear and can't sell in good conscience. I am older, in poor health and without much money, I feel that I have been cheated. No one should be allowed to sell unsafe cars any where!!! I also feel this problem is why Chevrolet is discontinuing the HHR, and leaving us out in the cold with their mistake. Does someone have to die for a recall??? I feel it was close in my case!!! will begrudgingly be taking it to a dealer for repair. What else can I do"

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 222013

HHR

Power steering goes out without warning, have to restart car to reactivate. Was going down a hill and it kicked out so I had to restart the car as I was rolling down the hill. Not safe at all. I can manage but a mom with kids might panic and something more serious might occur.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 202013

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the wheel seized with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Louiville, KY, USA

Aug 162013

HHR

On four completely separate occasions my power steering has gone out. There is no warning. I will be driving and hear a ding. I look down at my dash to see the power steering light is on. Within seconds the power steering goes completely out. I have to pull over to restart the car. Once I do this its fine for a bit. Today it happened twice during a 15 minute drive. It's so intermittent I can go days without an incident. I took it in to fix today and was told they can't fix it. I was referred to a dealership who also has no idea what's going on. Called a parts store and the part can't be bought. This is incredibly dangerous and needs to be fixed. My family being put in danger is not okay.

- Omaha, NE, USA