2007 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 7 of 18)

May 212014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while the vehicle was in reverse, the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The contact mentioned that the power steering light turned off once the vehicle was restarted. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed the power steering column and power steering motor were faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 56,806 and the current mileage was 56,859.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 252013

HHR 4-cyl

While traveling with my family at highway speeds the dic chime indicated power steering, and steering became difficult. After stopping and checking underhood relays and fuses and reseating several, the steering became normal and remained for approximately 700 miles. The power steering loss then became intermittent at all speeds, and conditions, and was reset when ignition was turned off. Mileage is now 60K and dealer was contacted about recall information. Currently (May 25, 2014) dealer has no knowledge of special coverage GM bulletin number 14119 which will be implemented for my 2006-2008 and early production of 2009 Chevrolet HHR (non turbo) to provide eps motor replacement for the life of the vehicle. (GM website letter dated March 31, 2014).

- Hemet, CA, USA

May 012014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving 70 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the steering wheel became very hard to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician diagnosed that the power steering motor and steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 13,000. The current mileage was 15,000.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

May 202014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering would intermittently fail without warning. The vehicle would become increasingly difficult to control. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the power steering assist motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage were 86,000.

- Rubicon, WI, USA

May 202014

I was coming upon an intersection at approximately 5:30 P.M. when there was a chime then power steering message appeared, the steering became very difficult to turn. I was able to get into a parking lot while being extremely hard to steer. I turned off the car and removed the key as my car is on the recall list for the ignition problems thinking that the steering issue was because of the faulty ignition. I waited approximately 10 minutes and started up the car and drove about 5 miles home. On wed 5/21/14 I went to the dealership concerning the steering problem and they told me that my car (2007 Chevy HHR) was not on the recall list to have the steering problem fixed. I told them that the older Chevy cobalt were on the power steering recall list and it is my understanding that the HHR and cobalt have the same parts. Dealer said they could check it out at my cost.. I then asked about the ignition recall and he stated that the ignition problem has nothing to do with a power steering problem. I told him I disagreed. He said to be careful and safe and that they will call me when the ignition parts arrive to fix my car. I was not happy with his explanation and want to know why the older HHR's are not on the recall list to fix the power steering problem?

- Carlisle, PA, USA

May 052014

HHR 4-cyl

I was exiting off of a 55-mph highway, onto a long curved 180-degree exit ramp, when half-way through the turn, the power steering cut off completely, without any prior warning. I was able to complete the turn, using much increased arm strength. I pulled over and re-seated a bunch of loose fuses and relays in the electrical box located under the hood. The power steering did not come back on. But after pushing the fuses and relays firmly down a second time, the power steering came back on, and has not failed since. I am very concerned that had my elderly mother or my young daughter been driving this car when the failure occurred, that an accident due to loss of control might have been a distinct possibility.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 132013

HHR 4-cyl

2013, when applying breaks on grade steering wheel violenty shaking. June 2013 if applying full breaks, steering wheel would also pull. Could not control vechile with shaking and pulling. Drove with hazards in slow lane at lesser speeds. Very bad situation. This siuation occured again this year (2014 may) while again on a grade. The shaking is voilent it very difficult to control the vechile. Drove with hazard again in slow lane..this is very dangerous and worse when turning. Good wayto kill yourself and others. I was at the dealer havign my ignition replaced and they said its normal and the rotors should be turned. I explain that the car was barely controllable. No standard rotor problem should make a car shake and pull that violently. These cars should be taken off the road. They are also no very compitent in windy conditions. I live in a mild climate zone and have driven many vechiles and my fisrt winter in the card was very very uncomfortable. That and the windows being copped are a huge visibilty issue. A design like this should have never been approve. Add to that poor parts to save money and these are just not safe. Not safe to those that own them or others. Also front end has ongoing front end suspension problem. I had perviosu issues with the radiator and guard that shoudl have been installed by the dealer but was not. As well as fauly door handles. Reapir bu dealer but now the door leaks. These are small things compared to the others. I would like the driving commision to do the right thing and have the company buy these cars back.. I appreciate the new iginition but that does nothing to help the breaking issues they call normal.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Mar 272014

Non of what you've listed above, apply.. I'm upset about how long this process has taken.. I understand that this has been held back since 2007 and GM was aware of their own wrong doing! but I called to set up an appointment locally and they tell me that the parts are still on order.. I cant afford a rental! now people including myself are operating on fear.. my airbag light blinks off and on from time to time. The key at times want turn in the ignition!! I like this car, but no longer., why doesn't GM offer loaner cars to us all until they fix the issue that they caused... scared of dyeing in raleigh, nc.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 082014

While driving my 2007 Chevy HHR, the driver interface flashes "power steering", the power assist stops working, and steering becomes very difficult. When vehicle is turned off and then turned right back on - problem is resolved (for a while). I contacted GM customer assistance and was told that there is going to be a recall, but not sure if my model year is involved. On several occasion, I have been traveling at 60mph, power assist goes out, and I have to shut my ignition off while at speed to get it to reset.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

May 102014

Started car in parking lot and placed car in reverse. After a few feet, there was a warning chime and the display said "power steering." Subsequently, the car only had manual steering and was very difficult to steer. I took it to the dealership and they confirmed that the motor had failed. It is noted that information on the internet indicated that the power steering motor issues are known and that some models with the same motor (cobalts, for example) have been recalled. It is also noted that the motors have been recalled on the HHR in Canada. In addition, it would appear that during April 2014, Chevrolet announced a planned recall for the United States - but during May 2014 the dealership had no notice of this.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

May 082014

I had my my children up from school while driving I lost all power steering. I had heard I chime rite before and noticed it displayed power steering on the instrument panel. I did find out that by shutting the car off and restarting it temporarily fixed the problem for a block or so. The vehicle is going to be serviced this week. I don't think we should have to pay for this problem to be fixed when the 2009 and 2010 models are having the same issue and being recalled ours should be recalled also.

- Lima , OH, USA

May 112010

HHR 4-cyl

Changing lanes in the highway, it was crazy, scary.I emailed Chevy directly than it stopped suddenly, than a year later twice, than stopped, now again it's doing it. I wish I could get another vehicle but can't afford it..............

- Melrose Park, IL, USA

Mar 042013

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving at various speed, the power steering assist failed followed by an unknown warning message and chime. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Louisville , KY, USA

May 052014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the steering motor was replaced however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 105,244. The VIN was not available.

- Fortlawn, SC, USA

Apr 212014

HHR 4-cyl

I would like to file a complaint about my 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The power steering is not working anymore and this is very unsafe for me to drive. I understand that there are 2009 and 2010 GM vehicles that have been recalled for this same reason, but my car has not. I found this on the GM website. recalls older model vehicles to fix power steering.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Apr 122014

HHR 4-cyl

I was on the hwy and when I attempted to exit at 65 mph I couldn't turn the wheel but just a very little I was barely able to hit the exit ramp, the power steering continued to be out until I restarted the car.

Apr 052014

HHR 4-cyl

Vehicle was sitting while running my husbands knee bumped the key fob and the ignition switched to off. I checked and found there is very little resistance to the key turning off.

Jun 122013

HHR 4-cyl

Developed serious wheel wobble when breaking.

Nov 122013

HHR 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice and during accident air bag malfunction. The consumer stated she rear ended. She was hit so hard, the other vehicle's license plate, left an imprint in her bumper. The air bags did not deploy. Shortly after, the power steering would go out. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop, where a part was replaced. However, the steering issued returned, while driving, the steering wheel started moving back and forth, and she was unable to control it, and consequently, the vehicle flipped over.

- Cedarburg, WI, USA

Nov 102010

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering control module fails at 70degrees farenheit and above.causing the steering wheel to become hard to turn as if the ignition key is turned off.

- Little Rock, AR, USA