2007 Chevrolet HHR suspension problems: clunking noise when going over bumps

Clunking Noise When Going Over Bumps

2007 Chevrolet HHR

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

6.9

2. replace strut (6 reports)
  3. replace axle bushings (2 reports)
2007 Chevrolet HHR suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Sep 012012

HHR LT

Steering and Front Suspension Noise Concerns Clunk, Thump, Rattle, Knocking, Pop, Shudder, Vibration especially when cold.

- , Covington, GA, USA

May 012009

HHR LT 2.2L

I am very upset that my shocks/struts have been leaking for 3 years?

Noises, noises, noises.

My friend here at work has a 2007 HHR and is having the same LOUD problems.

My question: How is it that I drove my '94 Mitsubishi 234,000 miles and NEVER had a problem with leaky shocks or struts?

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 052011

HHR LS 2.2L 4 cyl

The noises that the car was making when going over speed bumps, bumps in the roadway, driving on graveled roads was driving me crazy and beginning to scare me a bit. I took it to authorized repair shop that told me needed new struts, shocks, and the motor mounts really needed to be replaced..I gave authorization to replace struts and shocks to the tune of $1200 after labor added in. I drove the car for about 2000 miles and the sounds came back..took back to garage and they tried to tell me needed motor mounts to tune of $300 and accused me of driving unsafely because one of the new shocks was "blown". Drove my car off and never looked back..reported them to BBB. HHR still making noise and I am living with it although I don't like it.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Dec 012011

HHR

My 2007 HHR is THE WORST vehicle I've ever owned. The vehicle has 74,000 miles on it and it will be the 3rd time replacing the rear bushings! I drive over somewhat smooth roads, so there is no harsh driving conditions. I will never own another GM product.

- , Lake Orion, MI, USA

Aug 142008

HHR LT 2.4L

I have had the front struts and strut mounts replaced three times under warranty, until the warranty expired. The last front struts and strut mount replacement was at approximately 30,000 miles. I now have 42,000 miles and the car is almost undriveable. The front end knocking noise is constant and there is instability in steering. The motor mounts are also loose whenever the car is started or put in to forward or reverse. All of the strut mounts and motor mounts are made by the same manufacturer in China. I have owned very many GM vehicles since 1979 (all new vehicles) and this is the poorest quality I have ever seen. Now I know why smart people steer away from GM these days. It is very sad, as I believe "Made In America" is what we stand for. I will trade it in soon.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 162008

HHR LT 2.4L

Notified dealer while under warranty, however; couldn't locate cause or any looseness. Bump-Clunk continues to get progressively worse. I have checked everything I can with no findings. Does any one know the cause and repair.

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Jun 012010

HHR LT

I had this clunking sound over bumps for almost two years. I took it the dealership multiple times and even had the service guy get in my car to go over bumps or at angles to hear this.

I believed i was being treated as a stupid female and was made to feel that every time I came in I was becoming a problem. Finally they sent out a mechanical manager who heard the clunking hard knocking sounds and he said he had only heard this one other time and it was this rocker arm or something like that where the bushing were actually not working and it was metal on metal and the sound is worst in morning when it is cold. They fixed the problem. But two years is two years too many and I will not ever let the dealership dismiss me again! I have had one problem after another with the 2007 HHR.

- , Temecula, CA, USA

Jul 302010

HHR LT1 2.2L

so I’m 25 I have been working on cars since I was 14 years old I think the parts are so poorly made if you keep going to Chevy or whoever fixes your hhr goes to Chevy this is just going to keep happening the car was made cheap and sum parts were made even cheaper don’t get me wrong I love my hhr but do yourself a big favor and buy sum good parts if you need shocks of struts don’t go Chevy try kyb or sum thing I really think it comes down to parts well and techs sum times once winters over here in ny I’m going to fix my whole front end the right way

- , Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Sep 262010

HHR 2.2L

Honestly, No Beef... For those of you who have the same issue as I had, I took my HHR to a Pep Boys in Phoenix. They had a GM trained mechanic on staff and he diagnosed my problem within an hour. The diagnostic cost went into the repair bill and they had it fixed that afternoon for less than $400. I went to the website and printed off a coupon for $50 and they honored it. As long as they keep the same service and track record, I'll be taking my HHR back there every time.

Replacement time took about 5 to 6 hours. The bushings take about an hour and a half to work on.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 092010

HHR 2.2L

Today marks the third set of struts and linkage on my 2007 HHR, the first set were done at 15,000 when the car was only 1.5 years old, the car isn't three yet and they were replaced again today, I also asked for the bowtie to be replaced because the paint was peeling and last week the driver side inside door handle snapped off! Dealer says you can't replace just the handle, it is the whole inside door panel which had to be ordered from Toronto and will take days to get. What the hell is wrong with Chevrolet? Have driven them all my lfe and never had so many issues in such a short time.

- , Roseville, MI, USA

Nov 192008

HHR LT 2.2L

ITS A POPPING NOISE, LIKE "DUNK", SOUND. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR CAR IS FALLING APART.

- , Bryan, TX, USA

Feb 012010

HHR LT

2007 Chevy HHR has been in the shop for over 2 weeks now. Running down the list GM gave the dealership for the clunking when going over bumps. First they thought it was the sway bar (whatever that is) and when the part came in it was too short. Waited for another sway bar to come in and when they replaced that part the clunking was still there. Now they want me to pick up my car while they wait for a strut to come in which they claim will take another week. Being so close to my bumper to bumper warranty being up I refuse to pick the car up until it is fixed. I guess we will see if this time they actually figure out what is causing the clunking sound.

- , West Plains, MO, USA

Feb 132008

HHR LT 2.4L

This has been a big problem my car was in around 12 times for the same problem I had research this noise and went in and told them how to fix it. now again it is making the noise i am ready to give the car back i ask them if they would paint it yellow and put lemon on it

- , Dryden, ONT, Canada

May 012009

HHR LT

I heard somewhere that Chevrolet was suing the Chinese manufacturer of the front end parts on the HHR. Had the rattle fixed last year under the warranty but now it is back worse than ever. I only drive 8K miles a year and I feel I shouldn't have this problem if the repairs are done right. Haven't had time to take it to the dealer, maybe I'll fix it myself. The stabilizer links were replaced by dealer but noise came back.

- , Derby, New York, USA

Sep 182007

HHR LS V4 Cly

I recently purchased my fairly new Chevy HHR 2007. When I test drove this vehicle I heard a clunking noise each time I went over a dip or bump in the road. I brought this to the attention of the salesman who was sitting right beside who noded his head as if to say yes he heard it to.

The salesman did not investigate the noise I complained about and i did not know how to check it out myself . So when he wrote up the purchase agreement, I told him that I wanted to put in writing for them to fix the problem, but referred to it as a "tail pipe", for lack of a better word. I though it was a pike that extends from the engine all the way to the tail pipe that was making the noise.

On the last day of my contract to have this propblem addressed, the service department looked at my car and told me that I have a propblem with the suspension. I am really angry about this because, they knew that I noticed the noise, yet they still would not disclose what was making the noise.

I want all to know that "BOB WATSON" Chevolet is the dealer who sold me this vehicle. They knowingly withheld something this important from me, with a reckless disregards for my safety.

I now afraid to drive my vehicle over 30 mph in fear that my front suspension might break at any moment ! They did not even offer me an extended warranty, and had the nerve to ask me "if I brought an extended warranty! I told them no, they need to fix the problem, which I could not exactly identify by name, but knew it was present prior to my purchase.

They are looking into this matter now, therefore, my suspension problem is unresolved.

Sincerely,

- , Phoenix, IL, USA

Jun 142007

HHR LS 2.2L

i have had my car in the shop now 5 times for the same problem. The first few times it wasn't bad enough for them to want to fix, so i waited until it got really bad and took in it to the dealership. they worked on it and still couldn't find anything lose, so GM suggested a few things to replace and that still didn't fix it. Finally it got extremely bad and when he tech drove it he couldn't believe how bad it had gotten, they replaced the intermediate shaft and tightened something in the front end, didn't get the details on what exactly was tighened up. Have had the car back for about 2 weeks and the knocking came back in the floor board, taking it today to have it looked at again and i'm going to threaten with the lemon law b/c i don't want stuck with something that acts as if it were 20 yrs old. and could cause my tires to wear faster and numerous other things.

- , Westminster, SC, USA

Oct 102007

HHR LT

Took back to Lou LaRiche Chevrolet in Plymouth, Michigan. They kept the car 3 or 4 days. They were very nice, concerned, gave me a loaner to drive. Charged GM ~$500 for bushings, etc. Still making the same noise. Sounds like a bowling ball being dropped on the alley, multiple times. Sometimes it does it when the car is not moving, but when I turn the steering wheel.

I read a TSB that says to replace the "intermediate shaft." Now I have to take it back again.

Makes me wonder if this car is safe this way?

- , Canton, MI, USA