2008 Chevrolet HHR engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Jul 052016

HHR

Our car had engine troubles where it kept shifting back into neutral while we were trying to drive on the highway and then on side streets on the way home. While driving it to get repaired, there was a loud popping noise and the engine burst into flames. The flames consumed a large portion of the car.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 012015

HHR

I could easily complain about the cooling system as this cost me about $1400 this month due to first the water pump going and then a chrome pipe/hose that goes across the engine also rusting through...but because I guess that wouldn't be considered a "dangerous" issue other than possibly being stranded, this engine related complaint is in regards to the exhaust. The car is a 2008 and twice the exhaust "flex" hose which is just beyond the exhaust manifold and in front of the catalytic converters has rusted and developed leaks. Because of the proximity of the part close to the engine, not only do the exhaust fumes rise up into the passenger cabin but it sounds like large diesel truck. The dealer will not replace only the flex hose and will only replace the entire pipe back from the manifold which includes 2 catalytic converters for around $2000. Not only is this dangerous for the driver/passenger inhaling the fumes but it's robbery to the consumer as the car isn't even worth that much.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Nov 062015

HHR

While driving at 20 mph the oil pump went which through the whole engine off bent the vales which caused the chain to skip over the cams always kept the oil changed up keep was always good only 138.000 miles never buy Chevy again.

- Pgh, PA, USA

Jul 282015

HHR

Was at a stop sign and went to cross the highway got halfway across and relied the car was slowing down looked at dashboard and everything lok normal made it across highway safely and pulled over engine was not running put car in park and restarted the car proceeded home to find the doors would not lock with interior buttons or remote the remote will turn on the alarm you can manually lock the doors but you can't lock the hatch update 9/15/15

- Hominy, OK, USA

Oct 202014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine stalled and the windshield wiper activated independently. The contact mentioned that whenever any of the electrical components were turned on the vehicle would automatically turn off. The vehicle was not taken to dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Delbarton, WV, USA

Jan 132013

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated on its own and the engine stalled intermittently. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road and able to be restarted. The engine warning indicator illuminated. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000. Updated 10/22/14

- Kellogg , IA, USA

May 122009

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the doors inside the vehicle could not be opened. As a result, the contact was locked inside the vehicle. The automatic lock button had to be pressed numerous times in order to open the doors. The dealer repaired the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,663. The consumer stated the body and trim were defective, due to the door locks getting stuck half way and the doors would not unlock, the electrical system was also defective, as the radio and cd player were inoperative, and the engine would not start at times. Updated 09/17/14

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jun 102014

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, there was a sudden loss on engine power as the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacture was made aware. Of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 51,000...updated 08-28-14

- Camden, DE, USA

Apr 172014

HHR 4-cyl

Around April my car started to have a hard time accelerating. A warning cane on the dash that read "loosing enginepower" or words to that effect. When I would brake my car would shake. When I would drive at about 35 my car steering wheel would start B to shake and was hard to control. I took it to my local Chevy dealership where I had the oil change, all four breaks replaced, the tech took a ride with me to hear and feel what my car had been doing. He said he didn't know what it was but ran a diagnostic on it and it said multiple things maybe wrong with, such as the fuel injector, the turbo had came up and a fuel regulator and the electrical system. I asked if it was safe to drive and they insured me it was. My car continued to make all these sounds and struggled to accelerate and the breaks were still slipping. On April 17th I was driving on my son's field trip and suddenly my car started to lose power. I pulled over to side of the interstate at the truck stop. I turned my car off and oil was every where. I had my car towed to the local dealership where I purchased the car. They said the timing chain had broke, causing major damage to my engine. I will have to replace my engine. Had my car been properly diagnosed, this could have been prevented. I am now out I found a vehicle due to this misdiagnosis. I have had this car for almost 2 years.

- Laquey, MO, USA

Jun 032014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle, crashing into an embankment. A police report was not filed and the driver sustained a shoulder injury. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- Delbarton , WV, USA

May 112014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. While driving 20 mph, the contact drove over a pothole and the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 111,098.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 252013

HHR 4-cyl

Exhaust fumes coming into cabin when heater is turned on. Caused by faulty, cracked flex joint on downpipe, connected to exhaust manifold. Have to ride with windows cracked for fresh air. GM refused to repair. Stated outside 80,000 mile emissions warranty. Car has 82,419 miles.

- Mouthcard, KY, USA