2008 Chevrolet HHR miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Dec 212016

HHR

Wed. Dec.21 car flooded when rained. Took to dealer was told over $4000 to fix. Rewiring, carpets ripped out and replaced need to be done. Checked online. Seems to be a common issue with this model. No recalls.could not afford so picked car up. If this is a problem that affects wiring (potential fire) does it not also affect brakes, steering, etc.is this not a hazard"car has less than 36,000 mls on it. Seems to me to be a defect in manufacturing as mine is not the only car that has this issue. Shouldn't manufacturer be responsible for this problem. A customer should not have to drive with their feet sitting in two inches of water while driving in the rain. Should they"

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Aug 132016

HHR

Door latch failure while merging onto freeway. Door flew open

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Jun 102016

HHR

There are several blind spots in this car makeing it difficult to see cars on the side of you I have been almost hit 14 times in one day I almost hit a pedestrian on cross walk to the right side this car is so dangerous to me and others this car needs to be pulled of the the road car was in motion each time and on highway as well as town roads.

- Colebrook, NH, USA

Jun 212016

HHR

I am original owner bought in 2008. I have 38080 miles on my car and have to replace the gas tank. After filling my tank, I smelled gasoline for several days, when my grandson went underneath and felt the top of the tank and found it leaking, from the top connection. I am having it replaced, @ several hundred dollars and feel this is a very unusual for an 8 year old car.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jul 272015

HHR

No one can pinpoint what the cause is, but my power steering cuts off suddenly while driving. This has happen numerous times. I have searched the internet and noted several articles and postings that detail the same problem with similar cars in the HHR 2008. This happens when the car is in motion. Tread quarters thinks replacing one of the tires would help, but it has not. Chevy needs to look at this issue since it seems more electrical than anything. There is something defective or faulty with the car. The power steering always cuts off when I am either turning, driving, on the highway, etc. Parking is horrible when this happens. It takes so much effort trying to turn. It needs to be investigated since other owners complain of the same thing. I even tried balancing and rotating the tires before but it keeps happening. forums.edmunds.com/discussion/14953/Chevrolet/HHR/Chevrolet-HHR-power-steering www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/HHR/2008/steering/power_steering_shuts_down.shtml media.GM.com/media/us/en/GM/vehicles.detail.html/content/pages/news/us/en/2014/Mar/0331-power-steering.html chevroletforum.com/forum/HHR-51/power-steering-cuts-out-46325/

- Hampton, VA, USA

Oct 302014

HHR 4-cyl

Head on collision... on state highway... fire was result, ending in fatality.

- Maplewood, OH, USA

May 252014

HHR

I was turning left on the corner of my house, driving less than 15 mph and then the back glass of my car exploded without reason and the glass was destroyed in pieces. It was very scary because sounded a big an explosion

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 302010

HHR

The electric power steering turned itself off mid turn causing a drastic understeering leading the vehicle into oncoming traffic, upon research I found that GM recalled the exact same steering components that failed in the HHR in other GM vehicles but not the HHR. If this does not warrant serious investigation what does. The second time this happened everything was fine as we were driving straight, the problem occurred when the electric power steering turned back on mid-turn causing my wife to over turn into someone's front lawn, had anyone been in the way this would have been tragic. We've been lucky this far but as we are a low income household we don't have the means to pay some dealer to fix this as they all say it's on us the owners to take care of even though it's the same defective equipment that was in vehicles like the cobalt and Pontiac lines, why hasn't there been a recall issued, this is a sever driving impairment that can cause accidents and GM doesn't seem to care due to it's an acceptable loss! no life is an acceptable loss, please address this issue as there are many complaints into this same issue in the research I preformed, by the way, why is it GM Canada issued a recall on this part for the HHR and not the us branch? our HHR is a 2008 with 66000 miles on it and the electric power steering is the issue.

- Lockport, NY, USA