2008 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 2 of 13)

Apr 112014

HHR

Just wondering why are there hundreds of complaints for this issue and nothing has been done about it? I have been having this issue for about 2 years now (my arms are perfectly toned) but this is ridiculous. We are having the same issues as the 2009-2010 HHR owner but nothing is happening. How many people have to have an issues, accident, or die for someone to do something about it? someone please help

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 092015

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 and attempting to switch lanes, the steering wheel was difficult to turn after the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was restart and it resumed to normal. The failure occurred on several occasions while driving at high speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 072015

HHR

I was driving to my mom's home which is about a C4 miles away and when I tried to make a left hand turn the steering got lock and I could barely finish make the turn and I parked and put my emergency blinkers on and I turnd off the car and started it up again and I was able to drive it. It happened again going to work making a turn.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Jul 012015

HHR 4-cyl

2008 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to sudden loss of electric power steering while driving.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 072014

HHR

Traveling on curvy highway we had a sudden loss of power steering, stopped car and shut engine off and looked car over as well as fuses. When we started car the power steering was working. Talked to Chevrolet dealer and was told it was not on any recall and was going to cost up to $350 to change. Since that time we have lived with it due to finances, over the last month it has gotten worse and happened 6 time today. I know there is a recall for 2009 HHR's (#14119) but does not include 2008 that I am sure they are using the same parts on this model and and others so why not include 2008 models.

- Springfield, MO, USA

May 272015

HHR

While driving down the road...I heard a ding and the "power steering" message came up on the dic...it was very hard to turn left or right....was able to pull over and shut the car off....started the car back up and everything was normal.....but the problem keeps coming back at different speeds and at different times..sometimes it may take a day or two before it comes back...but it does come back.....I've seen hundreds of complaint about this particular problem. I hope a solution is found to prevent this from possibly injuring or killing somebody....obviously there is a problem and something needs to be done about

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 012014

- Livonia, MI, USA

May 282015

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. While traveling approximately 45 mph, there was a sudden loss of power steering. The steering wheel was tight and it shook and vibrated. In addition, the steering wheel was difficult to turn left and right and would remain straight. The contact was able to pull the vehicle over, restart it, and reset the computer. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for further inspection and diagnosis. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 151,757.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Apr 282015

HHR

Power steering goes out while driving. At first this only happened during the heat of the day but now is happening no matter what time of day I drive. Speed does not seem to be a factor as I can be going slow or the posted speed for the roadway and it will occur. The first few times only happened when I turned a corner now it happens as I am driving. I called the dealership today and was informed this is not a problem. "????? how can this not be a safety problem?????"!!!!!!

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

May 052015

HHR

I was on the freeway going 65 mph & all of a sudden the power steering light went on &lost power steering immediately! this could have been a very bad accident & was scary. It will cost me $500 or more to get it fixed. Also, at approx. 48,000 miles the back rear door latch broke & would not open, it cost me $125 to replace it as there was no other way to fix this. Beware of your power steering.

- Superior, WI, USA

Apr 142014

HHR 4-cyl

2008 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer requests reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated while driving, the power steering light illuminated and the turn signal switch failed. The dealer found an internal failure within the turn signal switch and an internal failure within the power steering motor.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Aug 212014

HHR 4-cyl

My wife was driving we had pulled out of a parking lot on route 207 in the town of hamptonburgh, NY.no more then 20 feet from exiting the parking lot the car shut down and pulled to the right causing us to hit a telephone pole and totaling the car. It is my contention that power assist steering failed thus causing the accident. We where notified of the ignition recall had that taken care of in August of 2012. However Chevy/GM contention is the ignition did not fail. The body shop mechanic and GM/Chevy's own service advisor at the local dealership said that a catsophic malfunction took place causing the accident.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Apr 022015

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving down my street and I went to make a right turn into my driveway. That is when it first started acting up. I try not to drive much (doctor appointments are mandatory for household) because after driving maybe a mile or so it goes out. It is very hard to steer in the fact there is no power for easy steering. I drive on some winding canyon roads to go places and it has gone out on those roads. It bothers me when I have to drive down the winding roads through the hills as there are no shoulders to pull over. Is there a recall?

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Feb 152015

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving at about 30mph in a residential area, when a sound went off and on the display it read "power steering." The power steering had failed and did not come back. I was not far from home, but this has happened nearly every day since the first time. It usually only happens at low speeds, less than 45mph or so. If I turn the car off and start the engine again it's usually fine for a short time, sometimes as little as 5 minutes before the power steering fails again.

- Tuscaloosa , AL, USA

Nov 032014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering would suddenly malfunction causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. After shutting the engine off and back on, the power steering would operate as normal. The contact also indicated that while operating the vehicle, the warning "service air bags" had illuminated. The was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jan 252013

HHR 4-cyl

We were travelling down our street, almost home. There was a dinging noise and the power steering light came on. Immediately, it became very difficult to steer. We parked outside the house and took a different car to an auto supply store, think the car needed power steering fluid. We discovered the car does not use power steering fluid. When we returned home and started the car to move it into the driveway, it was fine. This has happened on and off for the past two weeks, sometimes at slow speeds and sometimes on the highway, at speeds between 50 and 65 mph. The dealership told us they can't do anything unless the light is on when the car is there. This is a dangerous situation and the light goes on and off randomly.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Jan 282015

HHR

My daughter drove it to local college this morning, no problem. I got in it after about 3 hours that she came home and went to use the car and I could not turn the wheel, then I looked down and there was a message that said power steering. I went to church and now it is working again. I am very concerned because she drive quiet always to clinical every week on a very curvy rode. If it goes out in one of those curves this will end bad.

- Harrisburg, IL, USA

Jan 212015

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering stop working after driving a few minutes. It is becoming more frequent. This makes it hard for my wife to control and steer the car. When she turns the car off and restarts it works only to stop a few minutes later.

- Midland, NC, USA

Jan 262015

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering ability seized. The vehicle was maneuver to the side of the road where it was turned off. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normal function. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic or the dealer. The contact stated that after calling the dealer, the technician stated that the failure might be caused by a faulty power steering module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000. The VIN was not available.

- Florence, AZ, USA

Jan 192015

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the power steering warning lamp illuminated. The power steering failed and the vehicle was merged over to a parking lot. The vehicle was turned off and restarted, which reset the computer. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Courtland, OH, USA