3.7

2009 Chevrolet HHR miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

2009 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

May 312016

HHR

Left side rear window blew up and shattered. Next, the rear windshield blew up and shattered both have been replaced, however someone could have been injured by the exploding glass since my car was full of it in both instances, I heard a pop on the first one while car was in motion on a highway.my car was parked (stationary) at my residence when the back windshield exploded. A friend visiting me told me my back windshield had shattered and glass was on the ground and inside the car. I have repair invoices for both replacements.

- Point Blank, TX, USA

Oct 252015

HHR

On Oct 25 2015 around 7:00pm, I parked at parking lot of home depot lane ave jacksonville fl. I pulled the inside handle to open the door at driver's side, the handle broke apart. I couldn't open the door. I couldn't get out of the car. Nobody was around. I was panic...sometime later, I realized I could crawl to the passenger side and got out from passenger's door. If this was an emergency and I couldn't get out of car as soon as possible, my life could be endangered.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 262015

HHR

I am picking my car back up tomorrow and all mt papers are in it...baci around 3/15 my etc light came on and the car jerked, this happened several time over the next couple months, took it in to dealership and they had it for 2 wks and could not figure it out and I was to let them know if it happened again...8/26/15 was the last time it happened and the etc light came on for about 1 1/2 seconds and slowed me down almost to a stop and was almost rear ended!!! called, took it in and they have had it for 2 wks and they called and told me since they could not make it happen they could not fix it and it was not a mechanical problem. I am scared to (maybe) death to pick it up and drive it till it happens again and maybe causes an accident.

- Lampe, MO, USA

Jul 012013

HHR

Car would not turn off. Key would not turn. Eventually pulled fuse and got car to stop. Took to dealer next recalls came out later and I took it in three times to get recall things fixed. I still have same problems as other owners with my electrical system, the dic giving false information such as no air pressure in one of the tires, the ABS and traction need repair etc. Steering wheel almost always shakes when brake pedal is pushed and sometimes seems like it is driving under its own control. I have loved the car since I bought it with less than 9,000 miles on it in December 2010, but I drive my handicapped husband and elderly mother to many doctor appointments and cannot handle the anxiety of being an accident waiting to happen all the time. There is already the feeling of helplessness in car accidents without one driving a car that can't be controlled at all times. And these things happen out of the blue without warning. It isn't like you have even a feeling that something may be going out or that a problem is beginning. It's just boom, here's the situation, handle it! I, at all times, must keep my mind on the fact that my brakes, steering, transmission and/or electrical system may fail as I am driving down the street. This does not make for a calm driving experience. Nervousness and high anxiety is not a condition that anyone should be in when handling a potentially deadly weapon in and around other people, animals and vehicles. All these other owners can't be wrong, maybe GMC should just recall the whole car and let us get one we don't have to be afraid of causing an accident, so we can concentrate on our own and other people's driving to prevent them..

- Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 112015

HHR

I have no idea where this is coming from but in the morning when I start my HHR there is a very strong odor of silicon. It takes me about 30 min. To get to work and by the time I get to work I have the worst headache from smelling this the whole trip. It is stronger when the A/C in on. Not sure if this is where it is coming from but it will make you nauseated.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Apr 092012

HHR

Unable to remove the key from the igition. One hour later the car is still running and key is stuck. Disconnected the battery. Its 7pm will have it toaded to dealership in

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Apr 092012

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Sep 012011

HHR 4WD 6-cyl

Visiting my daughter. Started to go home. The head lamps would not come on. After 10 or 15 minutes of turning switches, turning motor off and on, nothing worked. So here am I stuck miles away from home and the head lights wont come on. In furstration I slapped the left driver side head light, it came on. So I walked to the other side and gave it a slap, and it came on. We drove the thirty miles home worrying if they would go out again. Got home ok. Now we have to hit both headlights to get them on.the warranty is out and do you know you have to remove the whole front bumper assembly to even get to the head lights. Why would GM allow such design is be on reason. Good luck HHR owners my wife has already experinced the lock ignition syndrome, when the key wont come out. Why doesnt the NHTSA help us HHR owners

- Whitwell, TN, USA