2009 Chevrolet HHR seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

2009 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Aug 172014

HHR 4-cyl

I was pulling out of a parking space at wal mart and a beeping sound got my attention and then I realized the steering wheel was almost impossible to turn.. I stopped in the middle of the lane and turned the car off... we sat there for about 15 seconds and I started the car again and the steering was fine then.. we then drove about a half mile to the dollar tree and it happened again as I was pulling into a parking space.. I parked and we went in the store.. when I came back out it was working again... then today, Sept. 15, 2014, I pulled into the library and as soon as I started to turn into a parking space, the steering wouldn't work and the beeping sound started and the power steering light was on again.... I turned it off right there and waited a few seconds and it was again working... we don't trust taking this car anywhere and had planned an extended trip to Washington to stay with our granddaughter but we just don't dare do it... this is such a huge safety issue and we want it fixed!!!!! also, the service air bag light has been on for almost the entire time we have owned the car.. I have all the receipts of taking it in to be checked and the charges we have incurred... it has been on the last time for over a month as we had just had it in again.. the light went off for about 20 miles after we left the dealership and then came on and has been on ever since... this whole thing has been ridiculous!!!!!! who can help us"???"

- Yreka, CA, USA

Aug 202014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on smooth paved Suburban roadway the service air bag light(s) illuminated on the console in front of the driver. Later that day the light(s) went out. This has happened again on several occasions. On September 6th the service air bag light(s) came back on at least 3 or 4 times. This car has never been damaged or abused in any way. The electrical system has never been repaired or modified other than the ignition key recall and replacement of the power steering motor (both were recalls performed at our local GM dealer.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Apr 112013

HHR 4-cyl

In April 2013 our service air bag light on the passenger side started coming on and off at varied times. There was no rhyme or reason for when it went on or off. Our dealer stated that if the service air bag light was off at the time of an accident, the air bags would not deploy (scared us into the repair).the car was just out of our extended warranty period of 4 yr 48000 miles. So we would need to pay for the repair. The repair was a connector module and total cost was $264.59 for the repair. After it was repaired I started finding all kinds of similar issues with Chevy cars and trucks, including various years of the HHR. I contacted GM but they refused to cover this repair stating they knew of no issues regarding a service air bag light coming on and off. This was obvious a lie since it's all over the internet and Chevy has recalled some cars and trucks for the same exact problem. I feel that we can't be sure if the air bag would work during a crash it is a safety issue and should be repaired at no cost. The cost of the repair for the actual work done is highway robbery - parts were $17.28 the rest of labor! GM needs to take care of this issue and recall the cars - or at the least, repair for free when the issue arises.

- Dagsboro, DE, USA

Jul 302014

HHR 4-cyl

Service air bag- this message comes up a lot when car is started. It is coming up more often now though. This vehicle has not been in an accident. I have seen on line that other GM vehicles are being recalled for this problem. Talked to my Chevy dealer about this and he said that there is no recall and it is our issue. Our HHR has been recalled for ignition switch and a power steering issue so far. I feel that the service air bag light is just another GM problem. With this warning light on, I do not know if our air bags will deploy. Are our lives in jeopardy?

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

Aug 162014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated and the brakes failed to respond. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was shifted to park in order to stop the vehicle. In addition, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Chavies, KY, USA

Jul 162014

They need to give rental cars untilthey get the parts in this would insure our safety and speed up the process that they say they are making the parts as fast as possible.that's just not acceptable. Fix our cars right now I am not ready to die in GM junk. My air bag light came on says it needs service well fix it GM. I cant worry all the time the stress is to much.

- Chesapeake, WV, USA

Dec 122012

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light, another vehicle crashed into the front passengers side of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained back injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was repaired. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) but did not confirm if the VIN was included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,135. Updated 09/05/14 updated 12/3/2014

- Dahlongea, GA, USA

Jul 052014

Side curtain airbag deployed by itself when pulling off from a stop sign.

- Youngstown , OH, USA

Jun 202014

I purchased this car in August 2009( special auto program) and had to return in August 2009 for the drivers airbag light kept flashing on and off. The repaired was done (necessary to replace & program pass presence module ) at that time. I started having this same issue this year and brought it back for service again 6/20/14. Paid $315 to be repaired and picked it up today and the flashing light is still on. My concern is this may also be a factory defect also that has not been detected. I am feeling a little uncomfortable with the airbag being repaired and still doing the same thing. I am a senior and I travel always with a 33 year old totally disabled child. If my airbag is not working correctly, you would have two people impacted by this. Now I was told to bring it back but as isaid I am not feeling to good about the job really being done. As a consumer what can I do other then have this on file with your off?

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 022014

TL * the contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (air bag, electrical system) and 14V171000 (electrical system). The dealer stated that the parts for the repair were unavailable and would not arrive for several months. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- East Greenwich, RI, USA

Feb 112014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the parts for the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to perform the repair. The vehicle had not experienced a failure.

- Rosebird, OR, USA

Aug 052010

August of 2010 1st indication of a problem with the airbag occurred. Chevrolet dealer repaired under warranty. 2nd incident occurred in earlier 2013 when service airbag light came on. This service airbag would stay on for a day or two, then go out. Several months later it would come on again, then go out. In may of this year the service airbag light came and stayed on. On June 2nd of the year, 2014, I took it to the Chevrolet dealer. They advised the airbag "shorted" and would have to be replaced @ $1200+. I purchased this vehicle new, and have had at least 3 electrical problems under warranty. Due to the electrical problems, ignition switch, battery failure I feel this lead to the failure of the airbag.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

May 122014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact received a recall notice related to NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system.). the contact stated that the vehicle was not repaired in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer indicated that the parts were not available. There were no failures the manufacturer was not notified of the delay.

- Jacksonville, IL, USA

Feb 162014

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering stopped working while driving and still does not work. The passenger air bag turns on and off intermittently when no one is in the seat.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Apr 012014

The red light keeps coming on and off that the air bag needs seems it the passenger side, as it beeps and there is no one there or I have my purse sitting on the seat. The car dealership said it's not on the recall list and I wanted to do diagnostic that it would cost me $98. I have read on the Chevy website for owners there is a lot of people with the same compliant with different model years.

- Clear Spring, MD, USA

Mar 042014

The air bag light keeps coming on and goes off for service. Updated 11/24/2014

- Clear Spring, MD, USA

Feb 142014

HHR 4-cyl

She was driving and ran into a mailbox and the airbag did not deploy.

- Raceland, LA, USA

Apr 172014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Sep 202013

HHR 4-cyl

Service airbag light is on. Told by mechanic that it's a common issue in Hhrs and cobalts, due to poorly designed parts. GM says I have to pay to fix it. I'm also told that the airbags will not deploy in an accident, making this car undriveable. This is absolutely ridiculous and should be listed on a recall immediately, if both GM and random mechanics know about the problem.

- Osseo, MN, USA

Sep 012013

My air bag service indicator light turns on intermittently. At least 5 times in the past year, no accidents, no problem seen with air bags by service dept at dealer. "??".the safety lock on the drivers side controls for all passenger windows does not lock the window operation. Braking system problem in the past 6 months. Ive returned to the mechanic 4 times had my brake pads changed, rotors turned, rotors resurfaced, only to have the same problem.....steering wheel shuddering bad when applying the brake. The rotors overheat and warp, but I will drive only 2 blocks and it happens. Don't think that is enough to overheat the rotors.

- Valencia, CA, USA